Guarantee rates/multiple cabins

Bruin Steve

I've dealt with guarantee rates before...and it's been a wide range of experiences--

We've had cabin assignments within a few days of booking...and we've had cabin assignments only a couple of weeks before sailing.

We've gotten assigned the absolute worst cabin on the ship in the guarantee category...and we've been slightly upgraded (though never to a suite...more like from a lowest level balcony guarantee to a higher category balcony).

But, in the past, whenever we've booked a guarantee, it has just been us.   And we've only booked guarantees because either the category was completely sold out or because we got such an incredible savings for booking that way.  Typically, I'd rather choose my location.

We just booked an Alaska Quantum cruise for August 2023...and we're taking our grown kids, so we booked three cabins.  And the best our TA could do was to put us in three 4D guarantees.  As I understand it, 4Ds are, basically, unobstructed balconies on virtually every residential deck and at both the forward and aft sides of the ship.  So, hypothetically, we could all end up on different decks and in different parts of the ship.  Wouldn't be the worst thing, but it would probably be easier if we were all near to each other.

Now, I fully expect RCCL to treat all three reservations as completely separate and to assign cabins in a completely random manner.  But, I am hoping I am wrong.

Does anyone have experience with multiple guarantee bookings?  Do they, in any way, take into consideration that the three reservations are connected?  Once assigned, how easy is it to switch them around?  If they do upgrade any of the three, is it random...or do they take into any consideration that, we, the parents, are paying for all this?

Thanks...

I would assume they will be treated as completely unrelated bookings & if they wind up placed near each other be happily surprised. In other words, expect the worst, hope for the best.

I’ve personally never had a problem moving my GTY cabin once assigned and did so as recently as July. Others have said it’s not so easy.

We just had a great experience with a guarantee last week -- I couldn't have picked a better room within our category.  But it was just the two of us.  

If I were in your shoes, taking my adult children and needing three cabins, I'd want to pick my rooms.  Especially because you're going with balconies.  One of the BEST cruises I ever had was when we had three balcony cabins, and we had the cabin steward open up the balcony dividers between the cabins -- he had to go fetch a key from his supervisor, but it was done within an hour -- we tipped him extra because we were asking him to go of his way on his busiest day.  Essentially we had one looong balcony, and we could go between rooms without going "out into public".  We left our sliding doors unlocked so family members could come and go between rooms.  

Yes, I like saving money.  Okay, truth is, I REALLY LIKE SAVING MONEY, but -- in your situation -- I'd pay more for the family to be together /connected. 

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

They are treated as completely unrelated and could end up anywhere.

Looks like there are no cabins available to book otherwise you would have booked specific cabins so don't get your hopes up that there will be any cabins to switch to after these are assigned.

With the 4D gty booking, could they be assigned a balcony in a higher category (2D for example)?  

There seem to be cabins in other categories available on the cruise in the OP’s signature.

We booked two guarantees once with my adult son even requested they be near each other not knowing if it would be taken into consideration. Not only were we on separate decks but I was all the way in the front of the ship and he was all the way in the back of the ship so I would never do this again with family members.

1 hour ago, Starry Eyes said:

With the 4D gty booking, could they be assigned a balcony in a higher category (2D for example)?  

There seem to be cabins in other categories available on the cruise in the OP’s signature.

Yeah...There are lots of available cabins in several categories...But, part of the equation is that my TA had availability on a "group" rate at 4D...and that rate saves us, at a minimum, about $500 per cabin.  And when you're paying for three cabins, that amounts to a decent bit of savings...If the price differential had been less consequential, we would have just booked three of those shown as available.

The "kids" are in their 30s...so it's not exactly like we need to be nearby.  In fact, they'll probably prefer not worrying about us hearing them through the thin walls.  I just think it would be nice if we all weren't at opposite ends of the ship.

• Like 1

We take our adult kids and grandkids often...at least twice a year. For this reason I always book very early to get us all next to each other usually 3-4 cabins needed. Having the ability to open the balcony dividers is a big plus for us.

No...you're right...If booking a GTY and even linking the reservations together RCI could care less. 

Enjoy your family cruise...doubtful it'll be the last one...there so much fun.