Tipping for white glove service?

RoperDK

We just returned from Port Canaveral on the Harmony and I used Special Needs At Sea for a scooter rental.  They didn't have a kiosk like Scootaround, which is what I expected.  They had "white glove service" instead.  Someone called and we coordinated meeting at the luggage drop off site and she met our car and went with me to the terminal entrance while my husband parked the car.  After the cruise, she met us right outside of customs.  It was our first time renting a scooter.  I am using them again soon and wondered whether I should have given a tip?

3 hours ago, RoperDK said:

I am using them again soon and wondered whether I should have given a tip?

My opinion is that a tip would be appropriate, but the person might not expect it.  When a MSC shore agent staff member in Miami wheeled me off the ship, got a Porter to collect my bags, and then took me to my car in the Garage, I gave both the Porter and the shore agent staff member a tip.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, rkacruiser said:

My opinion is that a tip would be appropriate, but the person might not expect it.  When a MSC shore agent staff member in Miami wheeled me off the ship, got a Porter to collect my bags, and then took me to my car in the Garage, I gave both the Porter and the shore agent staff member a tip.  

We try to tip those who help us with more than routine service, something personalized.  That includes help with wheelchair or luggage, etc.

First, we very much appreciate the help, and sometimes we (or one of us) truly *need* the help.

Second, we are at a comfortable place in our lives, and if we can make things a little easier for someone else, make them smile, etc., then we are happy to do it.

This assumes that they provide the service graciously (and not with snarls...).

We've occasionally had a helper/pusher who went over and above regular help... asked if they could get us anything (or offered something specific)... basically, pleasant and not trying to do a "minimum".  We are always extra happy to give them a more generous tip.  (And sure, if they are doing it "that way" hoping for better tips, that's fine with us too!  It still works. 🙂 )

GC

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, GeezerCouple said:

We try to tip those who help us with more than routine service, something personalized.  That includes help with wheelchair or luggage, etc.

First, we very much appreciate the help, and sometimes we (or one of us) truly *need* the help.

Second, we are at a comfortable place in our lives, and if we can make things a little easier for someone else, make them smile, etc., then we are happy to do it.

This assumes that they provide the service graciously (and not with snarls...).

We've occasionally had a helper/pusher who went over and above regular help... asked if they could get us anything (or offered something specific)... basically, pleasant and not trying to do a "minimum".  We are always extra happy to give them a more generous tip.  (And sure, if they are doing it "that way" hoping for better tips, that's fine with us too!  It still works. 🙂 )

GC

Such a lovely post to read.   Wish everyone was as nice (and generous)  as you.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hello, I don't believe tipping for white glove delivery service is necessary. They are doing their job and getting paid for it. It is entirely up to you, however. There are efficient white glove delivery service companies with highly trained professionals. They typically do not appreciate receiving a tip for their services. I say this because, last year, I had to relocate my office and hired a white glove delivery service to assist me. They did an excellent job without damaging the objects. I tried to tip them, but they refused, stating that receiving a tip for such work is not professional.

Is this new at Port Canaveral?  

DH used a scooter for the first time out of Cape Liberty in July. It was in our cabin when we boarded. 

We’re cruising on Wonder out of PC in April, renting another scooter from Special Needs at Sea, and staying in an accessible cabin.  Our TA has also requested (or will request) wheelchair assistance for boarding and debarking. It’ll be nice (and a lot easier on me) to have the scooter when boarding the ship.  

thanks,

On 11/6/2022 at 11:58 AM, joand452 said:

DH used a scooter for the first time out of Cape Liberty in July. It was in our cabin when we boarded. 

We’re cruising on Wonder out of PC in April, renting another scooter from Special Needs at Sea, and staying in an accessible cabin.  Our TA has also requested (or will request) wheelchair assistance for boarding and debarking. It’ll be nice (and a lot easier on me) to have the scooter when boarding the ship.  

thanks,

When we cruised out of PC last month, the scooter companies were right outside the terminal where you drop your luggage off.  You picked up your scooter there and rode it through the terminal all the way through boarding.  You dropped off the scooter after clearing customs and went outside the terminal.

On 11/6/2022 at 8:58 AM, joand452 said:

You can double-check with Special Needs at Sea about where you pick up your scooter, but take a look at post #12 in this link:

https://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/topic/2862885-walking-chair/