Currently sailing Riviera. Boarded 9/14 in Istanbul…End 10/3 in Barcelona

JoePDX

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"Thanks for generously sharing your time at sea with everyone at Cruise Critic!"

JoePDX was awarded the badge '"Live from...."'

All is fine on Riviera.

Embarkation in Istanbul was a mess.  2 1/2 hours to get onboard with us arriving at 12 for our 12-12:30 boarding time.   New terminal is very nice but none of the taxi drivers seem to know how to get into the drop off area which is underground.   We got dropped off in the parking garage and had to navigate elevators.

1035 passengers on board.  Paul Baya is Cruise Director.   

Dined in Red Ginger first night.   They have the Miso Sea Bass.   Excellent meal.   Going again tonight.   Everyone I have talked to has raved about their meals there.

Had husband’s birthday celebration in Privee - Degustation Menu.   Fine service but a lot of food.   😊

La Reserve last night Bourgeois Menu.   Excellent in every way!   Doing the Odyssey Menu later in the cruise.

Happy to answer questions.

Joe

• Like 6

2 hours ago, JoePDX said:

All is fine on Riviera.

Embarkation in Istanbul was a mess.  2 1/2 hours to get onboard with us arriving at 12 for our 12-12:30 boarding time.   New terminal is very nice but none of the taxi drivers seem to know how to get into the drop off area which is underground.   We got dropped off in the parking garage and had to navigate elevators.

1035 passengers on board.  Paul Baya is Cruise Director.   

Dined in Red Ginger first night.   They have the Miso Sea Bass.   Excellent meal.   Going again tonight.   Everyone I have talked to has raved about their meals there.

Had husband’s birthday celebration in Privee - Degustation Menu.   Fine service but a lot of food.   😊

La Reserve last night Bourgeois Menu.   Excellent in every way!   Doing the Odyssey Menu later in the cruise.

Happy to answer questions.

Joe

We had the same boarding experience in July.  No one knows where the terminal is and there is little signage outside or within the terminal as to where you should go.  There is a drive-in area but that is not signposted either.  Oceania, who arrive and depart from Istanbul frequently should really do something about that, we are old but still active, but it was a haul to get to where we were supposed to go and then had to go back some because the proof of vaccination area (not signposted) was halfway back from where we came in.

• Like 2

Hi -  Had a nice dinner in Red Ginger last night.  Miso Sea Bass did not disappoint.  Service excellent.   

Today was Kusadasi - returned to Ephesus after 21 years (last 2001).  Saw the Terrace Houses which are amazing.   Great private guide for three of us.   He shared do much information with us.  

Joe

Edited by JoePDX
  • Like 1

We are traveling with dear friends on this trip.   Their first Oceania cruise, fun to experience through their eyes.    Our friend Lisa, like me, loves the Grand Dining Room for meals and daily Tea in Horizons.   With this port intensive itinerary squeezing in Tea has been hard but we have made it twice.   The BLT finger sandwich is a fav for both of us.   😊

Dinner tonight in GDR - I had swordfish which I liked a lot.  Husband had rotisserie chicken and friends both had the BBQ pork chop.   I had the Limoncello Soufflé for dessert and it was so bad I ate it all.   Every last bit.   

We have met many lovely people through the roll call.   We had about 50 or so at the meet and greet on day one.   Join and participate on your roll calls folks it can really enhance your cruise experience.

Tomorrow is Antalya, Turkey. 

I leave you with a couple pictures of the Terrace Houses at Ephesus.   Excavation started in 1967, opened to the public in 2013.

Joe

85855EEE-D67C-46C6-8DF6-CAFD82138CC4.jpeg

E8CE20F0-7870-48D8-8953-FE416EECC635.jpeg

Edited by JoePDX
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3

32 minutes ago, JoePDX said:

We are traveling with dear friends on this trip.   Their first Oceania cruise, fun to experience through their eyes.    Our friend Lisa, like me, loves the Grand Dining Room for meals and daily Tea in Horizons.   With this port intensive itinerary squeezing in Tea has been hard but we have made it twice.   The BLT finger sandwich is a fav for both of us.   😊

Dinner tonight in GDR - I had swordfish which I liked a lot.  Husband had rotisserie chicken and friends both had the BBQ pork chop.   I had the Limoncello Soufflé for dessert and it was so bad I ate it all.   Every last bit.   

We have met many lovely people through the roll call.   We had about 50 or so at the meet and greet on day one.   Join and participate on your roll calls folks it can really enhance your cruise experience.

Tomorrow is Antalya, Turkey. 

I leave you with a couple pictures of the Terrace Houses at Ephesus.   Excavation started in 1967, opened to the public in 2013.

Joe

85855EEE-D67C-46C6-8DF6-CAFD82138CC4.jpeg

E8CE20F0-7870-48D8-8953-FE416EECC635.jpeg

Great photos!

Thank you for sharing.

I'm not sure if we'll get there, but these photos definitely whet our appetites...!

It's very interesting how recently it was open to the public.  That was a surprise to read.

Thanks again.

GC

• Like 1

Thanks for the report Joe.  We embark in Rome on the 26th with a group of 12. My wife and I cruised on Oceania in 2020 to AUS - NZ.  The rest of our group are first time Oceania cruisers.  We are all very excited and have a very busy port schedule.  Looking forward to enjoying the great food and great company onboard Riviera.  Ciao!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, gdw58 said:

Thanks for the report Joe.  We embark in Rome on the 26th with a group of 12. My wife and I cruised on Oceania in 2020 to AUS - NZ.  The rest of our group are first time Oceania cruisers.  We are all very excited and have a very busy port schedule.  Looking forward to enjoying the great food and great company onboard Riviera.  Ciao!

See you on board!   We will take good care of Riviera until you embark.

Joe

11 hours ago, gdw58 said:

Hello- I saw your post . My name is Leta and we are also embarking in Rome and I've arranged a Meet and Greet for this portion of the cruise, along with anyone else who wants to join. As the ship is currently sailing, I'm unable to officially add additional names to the list- we have 20 people signed up. If you, and others in your party wish to join, the Meet and Greet is scheduled for 9/26 in Horizons Lounge at 6pm.  You are welcome to provide the names of guests in your party- either here or by emailing me at: LHillman4372@gmail.com.  Thank you

Nice day in Antalya, Turkey.    A very nice seaside city with a horseshoe shaped bay.   

First kiss in the GDR last night.  Chilled shrimp were inedible.   Not sure how you mess up shrimp like this.  It is very rare that I send something back.   I consoled myself with some ice cream to go with my chocolate mousse crème brûlée cake.   

Horizons band is Music Station from the Philippines.   Very talented with a very diverse music catalog.   We h e enjoyed them immensely.

Joe

F581F1F2-CEEA-44D5-A197-B38AC1F01AFD.jpeg

07CEE1BA-0020-49FB-B9F3-F281FFC5D04A.jpeg

27FFC150-6D3B-45E1-8173-6F900A647695.jpeg

BB064E10-B0EC-4225-A1F5-9A2AD0B13203.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Our call in Rhodes, Greece was just cancelled due to high winds.   We are disappointed as this was a top stop for us to explore with our friends da whose Great Grandfather left Rhodes for America.   😕

Joe

7 hours ago, JoePDX said:

Our call in Rhodes, Greece was just cancelled due to high winds.   We are disappointed as this was a top stop for us to explore with our friends da whose Great Grandfather left Rhodes for America.   😕

Joe

Too bad. Rhodes was one of the surprising stops we made in the Med. Never expected much and was really happy we got to see it. A "hidden" gem of a port.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, JoePDX said:

Joe

too bad

Lovely island  we spent a week there many years ago

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ORV said:

Number 1 in lights is in stateroom I think. The purple rock one I think is in the grand hall. 

Hi ORV-

Close on number one - it is from the hallways on the stateroom decks…

Correct on the amazing purple rock lamps - Grand Bar/Grand Hall.

Joe

Oceania Club party this evening.   ~560 return guests out of the 1035 on board.   Longest cruiser over 1000 days with two couples in the 600 day range.

A nice day at sea despite not being the original  plan.   The crew really shined in all areas.

Had all three meals in the GDR.   Husband raved about the Banana Oat Pancakes.   The other three made sure the sticky buns were still edible.   They are.  😊.  Dinner we all had the Dover Sole - no complaints.

Nicola Ward featured singer tonight.   Her first time on Oceania.   She has a broad range from Adele to Leonard Cohen to Queen to Tina Turner.  Very enjoyable.

Tomorrow Santorini which we will do on our own with public buses.

Joe

I will sign off with pictures of Tea and an Aegean Sunset.    All is good on Riviera. 🇬🇷

3EFCEF6A-D686-4345-AD19-4189BFB5662E.jpeg

5AB2DBA2-DE1C-4510-AF2B-EF7A00E08EE0.jpeg

Edited by JoePDX
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, LHT28 said:

Do they have the hands on culinary classes  ?

Thank you

They do.  Most were sold out before we boarded, however talked to a couple from the roll call and their class for tomorrow’s sea day was cancelled.   No reason given.

Joe

Edited by JoePDX
  • Thanks 1