Bermuda Covid requirements

Linsie

1 hour ago, Linsie said:

Why is celebrity summit stopping in Bermuda in October when Bermuda is requiring testing, and money? 

Why not? Testing is good for them, keeps their population safe. A few $$ to cover admin costs is no big deal. So why would a cruise line avoid them for these requirements?

Their requirements are much more difficult if not impossible for transatlantic cruises and thus most/all lines have stopped mid-passage stops in Bermuda. But that is way different.

Edited by GottaKnowWhen
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, GottaKnowWhen said:

Why not? Testing is good for them, keeps their population safe. A few $$ to cover admin costs is no big deal. So why would a cruise line avoid them for these requirements?

Their requirements are much more difficult if not impossible for transatlantic cruises and thus most/all lines have stopped mid-passage stops in Bermuda. But that is way different.

It's also way better not stopping, for my cruise anyway, Ponta Delgada is the replacemnt, so much more to do there.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Michidoeme said:

Yes it is an additional, not expected expense.  But I am always puzzled why people that spend thousands on cruise, airfare, hotels, excursions etc, balk at an additional 40 $ and make such fuzz about it  ?

It's the principal of it and not the money BUT the testing & bureaucracy 

• Like 8

6 hours ago, Michidoeme said:

Yes it is an additional, not expected expense.  But I am always puzzled why people that spend thousands on cruise, airfare, hotels, excursions etc, balk at an additional 40 $ and make such fuzz about it  ?

You’re assuming all of the “fuzz” about it is the $40 bucks, seems that’s your assumption so I’d assume that for the vast majority of us, it ain’t about the 40 bucks, at least for me, I’m not that “fuzzy”.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Michidoeme said:

But I am always puzzled why people that spend thousands on cruise, airfare, hotels, excursions etc, balk at an additional 40 $ and make such fuzz about it  ?

As I’ve stated on other threads I don’t care about the $80. My Beyond repositioning cruise on 10/26 is stopping in Bermuda first on its way from Bayonne to the Caribbean. 
With most of the Western Hemisphere dropping testing requirements, Bermuda is still requiring it. There’s some stress and anxiety leading up to our cruise wondering if we may possibly test positive and not be able to go on a cruise we’ve planned and anticipated for a year.

If Bermuda changed their rules or If Celebrity changed this first port, we wouldn’t have to test and we wouldn’t have this stress. We’d be able to stress about other things instead 😁

Edited by mfs2k
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Michidoeme said:

I was in Bermuda last month (RCCL)...since the time in Bermuda was the purpose of my trip, I was happy to pay the $40.  The pre-cruise test, which I had to take once I reached Florida, was much more stressful.  But I was happy to do whatever required so that I could spend a few days there.  And it was GORGEOUS!

13 hours ago, Linsie said:

Why is celebrity summit stopping in Bermuda in October when Bermuda is requiring testing, and money? 

Don't forget that these itineraries are set years in advance. Changing an itinerary can create a hassle for the Company.  Also,  the Summit sails to Bermuda for months each year and it looks like Bermuda is a typical stop on its repositioning cruise. 

I am on the October 15 cruise and, yes doing the Authorization for a 6 hour stop is a pain, but, from Boston, it is a logical stop on the way to the Caribbean.  Only other options would be a US stop such as Charleston or an afternoon stop somewhere in the Bahamas.

And, since probably most of the people on the cruise have already applied and paid for the Authorization (I know we have),  I'd be pretty angry if they changed it at the last minute.

4 hours ago, adolfo2 said:

It's the principal of it and not the money BUT the testing & bureaucracy 

I understand that for most of you it is not about the money.  But on several previous blogs it was a factor and people even in suites complained about the additional $.

Edited by Michidoeme
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, capecodmercury said:

Don't forget that these itineraries are set years in advance. Changing an itinerary can create a hassle for the Company.  Also,  the Summit sails to Bermuda for months each year and it looks like Bermuda is a typical stop on its repositioning cruise. 

I am on the October 15 cruise and, yes doing the Authorization for a 6 hour stop is a pain, but, from Boston, it is a logical stop on the way to the Caribbean.  Only other options would be a US stop such as Charleston or an afternoon stop somewhere in the Bahamas.

And, since probably most of the people on the cruise have already applied and paid for the Authorization (I know we have),  I'd be pretty angry if they changed it at the last minute.

We're on this sailing too and have already applied.  I love Bermuda, but do agree that the extra hoops to jump through cause anxiety.  

• Like 1

The $40 is immaterial. But for Brits like us we have to sorce a test in NY for our 10/26 cruise on the Beyond. We cannot use the tests recommended by Celebrity that are delivered because they have to be paid for by a credit card registered in the USA.

The only good thing is that when I booked the cruise tests were required everywhere, at the time I assumed we would need one. So we are flying in to NY 3 days before the cruise. I will look into where to get them a week or so before if Bermuda doesn't change it's mind.

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, Darspurs said:

The only good thing is that when I booked the cruise tests were required everywhere, at the time I assumed we would need one. So we are flying in to NY 3 days before the cruise. I will look into where to get them a week or so before if Bermuda doesn't change it's mind.

I believe CVS and Walgreens are still doing them. Or CityMD.

Or there are still LabQ vans (and others - I just trust LabQ) around on various streets in main tourist areas to get tests done.

Edited by WrittenOnYourHeart

1 hour ago, Michidoeme said:

I understand that for most of you it is not about the money.  But on several previous blogs it was a factor and people even in suites complained about the additional $.

Vast majority of the complaints were not about the amount of $ but rather that it appears to be just a money grab by their government and at the end of the day it affects the Bermudians that most rely on the tourist spending 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

Vast majority of the complaints were not about the amount of $ but rather that it appears to be just a money grab by their government and at the end of the day it affects the Bermudians that most rely on the tourist spending 

I doubt many people disagree with you, particularly since you need to pay the fee just to board the cruise regardless of whether you actually plan to leave the ship..

But,  I'm afraid this might be complaints for the sake of complaining.   The fact remains that Bermuda is an important, if not vital port for cruises leaving New York/New Jersey.  Cruises with a 3 day stop in Bermuda are the bread and butter for Celebrity out of Bayonne.  A $40.00 fee isn't going to change this.  And, on a broader level, how is it that much different from the port fees that we already pay?

The complaints and issues seem to be mainly confined to the short stops on repositioning or TA cruises.  This is something that Celebrity might change, particularly if it causes them additional problems such as on the Fall TA's that were changed to avoid the need for testing all on board.  Similarly, they adjusted itineraries this summer to ensure that Bermuda was the first stop to avoid on board testing.  

But, in the big picture,  the cruises that are affected are a small percentage of the overall cruises to Bermuda.

Perhaps if you lived on an isolated island territory in the ocean with no immediate neighbors to rely on for emergency medical aid or disaster relief, you could better understand the profound need to protect the inhabitants as best as possible. Such is the case with the continuing Covid saga and Bermuda’s $40.00pp cost for travel authorization.

I chuckle at the posters who imbue this thread with exclamations of “it is not about the money.” Boloney, that’s all it’s about. Proclaiming a “money grab” is a feeble attempt at deflecting folks away from your moth-eaten wallets and your inability to see beyond the tips of your noses. So many faux know-it-alls, so few understanding and caring people. To go even further, the threat of a very devastating natural disaster befalling Bermuda elicits comments about cause-and- effect, karma, if you will. “Bermuda’s illicit travel authorization fee is reason enough for the island to deserve whatever the consequences may be.” How many of you all really feel that way? Raise your hands. Just like you won’t admit to being a cheapskate or a faux intellectual, I’m sure your hands remain tightly at your sides, perhaps reluctantly so?

I suggest that certain folks remain as far away as possible from any Celebrity ship that even hints at a Bermuda stop. You don’t want to go, and some of us probably don’t want you there, in all your misery.

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, capecodmercury said:

But,  I'm afraid this might be complaints for the sake of complaining. 

I think for many of us travelling to Bermuda as a brief port stop in the next 40 days, we got excited when Celebrity lifted all test requirements, then discovered Bermuda wasn't included.

Then we got excited when we learned most of the Transatlantic sailings got diverted from Bermuda to different ports to avoid onboard testing.

Now many of us who are on the various social media sites such as this one and the one starting with F have our hopes up that Celebrity might divert our cruises too. 

• Like 4

50 minutes ago, Spif Barwunkel said:

I suggest that certain folks remain as far away as possible from any Celebrity ship that even hints at a Bermuda stop. You don’t want to go, and some of us probably don’t want you there, in all your misery.

Deal!