Adelaide advice

Hello, fellow cruisers!
                                   I am looking for some advice.  I am travelling on the Celebrity Eclipse on Feb 23 from Sydney to Melbourne, Adelaide and Hobart.  

The cost of the excursions from Adelaide are pure evil - a day trip with lunch to the Barossa valley is currently around AU$1000 per person!

As the ship is overnighting in Adelaide, I have located a few car rental places that are a quick train ride from Outer Harbour station (This is across the road from the passenger terminal).  If I was to hire a car for two days, is there anywhere to park the car overnight near the passenger terminal?  
I am looking at google, but I thought I would see if anyone could give me some advice.  My thoughts would be to use the car to visit the Barossa on the first day and then use the same car to do the Adelaide hills on day 2. 

Thanks in advance.....

You mention that the car rental place is near a railway station. If you can't find anywhere near the cruise terminal to leave the car, maybe you could consider asking the car rental company if you could park it in their yard. They are very likely to agree because they want to safeguard their cars. The downside is that you would have to get there before they close for the day.

a day trip with lunch to the Barossa valley is currently around AU$1000 per person!

Is this a private day trip? Where are they having lunch?

Does sound expensive but suppose it depends on the details.

Agree a self drive at your own pace would be nice or even a bus trip.

Not far from the port to the Barossa region, 80kms.  

10 hours ago, pully8 said:

a day trip with lunch to the Barossa valley is currently around AU$1000 per person!

Is this a private day trip? Where are they having lunch?

Does sound expensive but suppose it depends on the details.

Agree a self drive at your own pace would be nice or even a bus trip.

Not far from the port to the Barossa region, 80kms.  

I suspect that this trip is one of the 'small-group tours' that Princess sometimes has available. They are super expensive.

• Like 1

If you don't need a car for other purposes, there are several small group Barossa (And the other regions) tours. Take one that doesn't include TOO many wineries! Self drive is not the best idea if you want a bit if tasting yourself.  I always joke it's best to take a Muslim or Mormon friend for a winery tour. Designated driver!

For 4 people, that is reasonable value for the whole day of doing your own thing or choosing your own wineries.

If you just want to do some tasting and have lunch in the Barossa, the coach tour is "only" $180pp

https://www.princess.com/ports-excursions/adelaide-australia-excursions/barossa-valley-and-wine-tasting

No doubt, you could also pick up a private operator tour for less.

On 9/21/2022 at 11:39 AM, Syd_Cruiser said:

Hello, fellow cruisers!
                                   I am looking for some advice.  I am travelling on the Celebrity Eclipse on Feb 23 from Sydney to Melbourne, Adelaide and Hobart.  

The cost of the excursions from Adelaide are pure evil - a day trip with lunch to the Barossa valley is currently around AU$1000 per person!

As the ship is overnighting in Adelaide, I have located a few car rental places that are a quick train ride from Outer Harbour station (This is across the road from the passenger terminal).  If I was to hire a car for two days, is there anywhere to park the car overnight near the passenger terminal?  
I am looking at google, but I thought I would see if anyone could give me some advice.  My thoughts would be to use the car to visit the Barossa on the first day and then use the same car to do the Adelaide hills on day 2. 

Thanks in advance.....

I am on this cruise. Join the roll call and we will give you some options for a day tour to the Barossa. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mawson said:

I run a tour company private tours , not allowed to mention on here. Barossa Valley should be around $200 per person as a guide. City and Hahndorf about the same. 

I understood tour companies could be mention but not Travel agents

• 1 month later...
On 9/20/2022 at 6:39 PM, Syd_Cruiser said:

Hello, fellow cruisers!

Thanks in advance.....

We too are cruising on the Celebrity Eclipse at that time, BUT I cannot find the ports you suggesting.  Our cruise on the Eclipse departs on February 16, 2023 from Sydney and is in Wellington, NZ on the 22nd, Napier on the 23rd and Tauranga on the 24th.

What am I missing?  Did you get the dates incorrect?  HELP!

3 minutes ago, coldcdn said:

We too are cruising on the Celebrity Eclipse at that time, BUT I cannot find the ports you suggesting.  Our cruise on the Eclipse departs on February 16, 2023 from Sydney and is in Wellington, NZ on the 22nd, Napier on the 23rd and Tauranga on the 24th.

What am I missing?  Did you get the dates incorrect?  HELP!

Ignore my previous post.  You were referencing the February 7, 2023 to February 16, 2023 cruise.  We're on that one too.  I just took your post of February 23 to mean the 23rd.

Going to be a great cruise and I love the idea of renting a car and driving to the Barossa Valley.