It's Officially Fall!

Yep, 95F here today, but hight tomorrow is only 80F.  Hopefully it's the end of the 90's for us this year.  We are soooo much looking forward to our CAN/NE cruise in 10 days.  I now understand how people up there feel can't wait to head south to Florida in the middle of the winter!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, soremekun said:

I'm not looking forward to another winter in the northeast.

Someone once told me it builds character.  I believe i was 9 or 10 and the person that told me this was a parent of some sort with a driveway full of snow.

I have recently discovered that they become somewhat more tolerable with periodic trips to Bayonne and beyond...

One of these days, we'll get that homeported ship with the cold weather itineraries to warm weather places we've been pining for!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rudeney said:

Yep, 95F here today, but hight tomorrow is only 80F.  Hopefully it's the end of the 90's for us this year.  We are soooo much looking forward to our CAN/NE cruise in 10 days.  I now understand how people up there feel can't wait to head south to Florida in the middle of the winter!

I'm going to miss the 90 - 100 degree temps.  I love the heat.  When I was stationed at White Sands Missile Range, NM, on the 110+ days, I'd run 3 - 6 miles a day in a sauna suite, pants and top.  Now, I'm much older and I walk 3.5 miles most day and love the 90+ degree weather.  If it's below 92, I wear one of those neoprene sweat vests.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Ret MP said:

I'm going to miss the 90 - 100 degree temps.  I love the heat.  When I was stationed at White Sands Missile Range, NM, on the 110+ days, I'd run 3 - 6 miles a day in a sauna suite, pants and top.  Now, I'm much older and I walk 3.5 miles most day and love the 90+ degree weather.  If it's below 92, I wear one of those neoprene sweat vests.  

Growing up in Alabama, and choosing to remain here, you'd think I like the heat.  I don't.  I can tolerate heat, but the humidity is a deal-breaker for me.  Yet I stay.  Yes I am crazy.  I'd love to be able to walk like that.  I was doing 2-3 miles a day, but the arthritis has caught up with me.  A trip to Costco can be a major ordeal.  I'm waiting to hear from my orthopedic surgeon to see if I can get a hip replacement right after Christmas.    

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, rudeney said:

Growing up in Alabama, and choosing to remain here, you'd think I like the heat.  I don't.  I can tolerate heat, but the humidity is a deal-breaker for me.  Yet I stay.  Yes I am crazy.  I'd love to be able to walk like that.  I was doing 2-3 miles a day, but the arthritis has caught up with me.  A trip to Costco can be a major ordeal.  I'm waiting to hear from my orthopedic surgeon to see if I can get a hip replacement right after Christmas.    

😒

I had a total right knee replacement about >3 years ago.  Man am I ever happy with that, had it done at the Indianapolis VA hospital.  

Subsequently, because of my good experience with it and my recommendation to have it done, my wife and my old Army buddy had it done too.  They both regret it.  I'll never recommend a medical procedure to anybody ever again.  Anyway, I walk a lot and do a lot of physical labor around the house.  I cut the lawn, about one acre, some if it with a push mower, every 3 or 4 days.  Chop wood to thin out the wood/forest behind my home, I don't own it.  All of this activity makes my knee keep from stiffening up and the pain level down to zero.  I can tell when I get lazy and don't do my walking and/or labor, my knee starts to hurt real bad if I sit too long in one position, like at the dinner table or waiting room.  

4 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

😒

I had a total right knee replacement about >3 years ago.  Man am I ever happy with that, had it done at the Indianapolis VA hospital.  

Subsequently, because of my good experience with it and my recommendation to have it done, my wife and my old Army buddy had it done too.  They both regret it.  I'll never recommend a medical procedure to anybody ever again.  Anyway, I walk a lot and do a lot of physical labor around the house.  I cut the lawn, about one acre, some if it with a push mower, every 3 or 4 days.  Chop wood to thin out the wood/forest behind my home, I don't own it.  All of this activity makes my knee keep from stiffening up and the pain level down to zero.  I can tell when I get lazy and don't do my walking and/or labor, my knee starts to hurt real bad if I sit too long in one position, like at the dinner table or waiting room.  

My wife had total knee replacement 3 years ago and while it helped her, it was not a complete fix.  She still has issues with it and now the "good knee" is giving her problems.  She's very hesitant to have anything done with it until there's no other option.  Both of us inherited arthritis from our parents.

I had rotator cuff repair almost 3 years ago.  It was supposed to be a simple bone spur removal and clean out some arthritis, but it ended up being a "six way" repair.  The doc said it was the worst and most involved one he'd seen.  Recovery wasn't too bad, but I ended up with a pinched nerve between C5/C6 from surgical positioning, so I now have to get shots for that every 6-12  months when it flares up.  The shoulder in now back to about 90% in terms of pain and flexibility, which I understand is very good.  

I've had hip issues for years, and now it's gotten pretty bad.  A replacement should fix it and my doc says it will be a walk in the park compared to the shoulder (which was only bad because of the pinched nerve).  But they also found another issue called sacroiliitis, which is apparently not very fixable.  

I try to stay active.  I do all of my own yardwork (which takes an hour for edge, trim, mow and blow).  I do a lot of DIY home remodels - big ones.  I do my own automotive work and have done some light restorations, engine and transmission rebuilds and even a little body work.  My day job is sitting at a desk, so I try to make up for it when I can, but this damned arthritis is really getting to me.  Oh, I am also not a "pill" person.  Ibuprofen is the strongest pain relieve I take - even post surgery.  Of course I may wash it down with a glass of Johnny Walker. 🙂

• Like 1