Laundry?

LB_NJ

We are planning a back-to-back with over 20 days on the ship.  First time on a cruise where we will HAVE to send laundry out.

Any thoughts on the best way to use the service and also what items they CAN'T be trusted not to ruin?

There are good threads on both topics, and the question of what's safe to send gets different answers based upon experience.

First question will be:  What status do you currently hold with Celebrity, and what cabin class(es) have you booked for your B2B?  Some levels of each bring laundry perks, and that's the baseline for starting the conversation.

Edited by canderson

9 minutes ago, LB_NJ said:

We are planning a back-to-back with over 20 days on the ship.  First time on a cruise where we will HAVE to send laundry out.

Any thoughts on the best way to use the service and also what items they CAN'T be trusted not to ruin?

Anything that's sensitive to hot water since that's what they use.  Also if you don't have status, laundry is generally pretty expensive.

43 minutes ago, canderson said:

There are good threads on both topics, and the question of what's safe to send gets different answers based upon experience.

First question will be:  What status do you currently hold with Celebrity, and what cabin class(es) have you booked for your B2B?  Some levels of each bring laundry perks, and that's the baseline for starting the conversation.

It is a B2B.  Ocean view cabin.  My wife has Royal Platinum status which I think translates to Select.

Mid cruise there is usually a fill a bag option for I think about $50, hope someone can confirm. Enough space for undies, a few T shirts, shorts etc. If you pack things well you can get more in. Things come back neatly folded but not pressed, fine for polo shirts but not for cotton shirts/blouses.

In our experience the wash is fine for anything you would put in a medium mixed wash at home. There is also a dry clean service, again not cheap but a better option for smart wear.

3 minutes ago, chemmo said:

Mid cruise there is usually a fill a bag option for I think about $50, hope someone can confirm. Enough space for undies, a few T shirts, shorts etc. If you pack things well you can get more in. Things come back neatly folded but not pressed, fine for polo shirts but not for cotton shirts/blouses.

In our experience the wash is fine for anything you would put in a medium mixed wash at home. There is also a dry clean service, again not cheap but a better option for smart wear.

Sailed out of FLL to the Caribbean 8 times since the restart.  I've never seen seen any specials with that being said I do get free laundry because of my CC status so they could be omitting a flyer for those with status but I'd guess that's very doubtful.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Sailed out of FLL to the Caribbean 8 times since the restart.  I've never seen seen any specials with that being said I do get free laundry because of my CC status so they could be omitting a flyer for those with status but I'd guess that's very doubtful.

Interesting if anyone else reports back….I was referring to past knowledge.

Edited by chemmo
  • Like 1

I believe the fill the bag special is offered on longer cruises, possibly 10 N and longer. 
if you wife status equates to Select on Celebrity she will receive a discount on 1 bag of wash and fold laundry, if you have that same R C status you will also get a bag.

We find the price if dry cleaning about the same as we pay at home, laundry a tiny bit higher 

Edited by jelayne
Add

Just now, jelayne said:

I believe the fill the bag special is offered on longer cruises, possibly 10 N and longer. 
if you wife status equates to Select on Celebrity she will receive a discount on 1 bag of wash and fold laundry, if you have that same R C status you will also get a bag.

It's 12 nights or more; I've never heard of a B2B special but maybe there is one?  I would imagine you won't have any luck obtaining any info shore side, may need to speak to guest services once on board.

A few years ago we did a very long B2B (18 & 17 N) with over 1000 B2B cruisers.  We had a choice of discount on laundry, discount on a specialty restaurant, of a spa discount.  They said they couldn’t handle laundry If everyone chose that so they gave us options.

Fingers crossed we have never had a items ruined, shrunk, or faded.  

One of the reasons, not high on the list, is that they don't have laundry rooms.  

We did one cruise on a ship with laundry and  people waiting in line to do laundry, taking clothes out of the dryer before it was done (and washers if you were not there the minute it stopped)  so they could put theirs in.  We did laundry 2x and felt like we had to sit there the entire time,  swore never again on a ship, that's not how we want to spend our vacation.

• Like 3

We have had pretty good success with sturdy things, not flimsy fancy (shorts, slacks, shirts socks are fine).  I tend to hand wash my underwear and hang in the cabin).  But they don't pre-spot, and since we can have spillage sometimes, nothing that you would pre-spot a stain at home.

4 hours ago, chemmo said:

Interesting if anyone else reports back….I was referring to past knowledge.

Was recently on the B2B to Iceland and back and then the Canadian Coastal.   I don't recall seeing it, but then I really wasn't looking.   In the past they would also leave a flyer on you bed about it.   Possibly since Laundry services have also been working short staffed the intentionally didn't try to generate extra work.

We cruise quite a bit and can honestly say I have never had anything ruined either with the normal laundry or Dry Cleaning.    We send out lots of  Cotton T-Shirts and Cotton Slacks and nothing has been shrunken more than we would experience at home.    We've even sent out Golf Hats and they come back clean and not destroyed.

• Like 2

Just finished 21 days of lovely cruising which we did with a 22" and personal item so we definitely used the laundry.  We did a total of 3 bags of laundry during the trip - underclothes, pajamas, tees and shorts, socks and jeans.  Marked the bag as "cold water, cool dry" and had no problems with any items.  I would not send really nice clothes but everything else worked fine.  

39 minutes ago, SbbquilterUT said:

Just finished 21 days of lovely cruising which we did with a 22" and personal item so we definitely used the laundry.  We did a total of 3 bags of laundry during the trip - underclothes, pajamas, tees and shorts, socks and jeans.  Marked the bag as "cold water, cool dry" and had no problems with any items.  I would not send really nice clothes but everything else worked fine.  

A quilter after my own heart.  I’m sailing in a couple of weeks, for 14 days, bringing only carry on luggage and my backpack.  I’ve got laundry included in my suite (2 bags) which I will no doubt use and I’m not one bit worried about the amount of clothes I’m packing.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

The other "issue" is they use the giant washers so your clothing goes in with other peoples clothing.

If the complaints regarding high water temperature are even close to true, I think you'll be safe from cooties.

No different than sending laundry out anywhere else.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, canderson said:

If the complaints regarding high water temperature are even close to true, I think you'll be safe from cooties.

No different than sending laundry out anywhere else.

I would hate and prefer not even imagine what happened in the beds we sleep in.   I think I prefer thinking about my laundry.

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, LGW59 said:

A quilter after my own heart.  I’m sailing in a couple of weeks, for 14 days, bringing only carry on luggage and my backpack.  I’ve got laundry included in my suite (2 bags) which I will no doubt use and I’m not one bit worried about the amount of clothes I’m packing.

If you’re in a suite with laundry you should know that functionally most people find it’s actually unlimited. The limit of two bags is just mentioned in literature because of abuses with sending out items from other cabins for them, as I understand. 

On 9/22/2022 at 12:17 PM, LB_NJ said:

On 9/23/2022 at 12:08 AM, sbcs5390 said:

If you’re in a suite with laundry you should know that functionally most people find it’s actually unlimited. The limit of two bags is just mentioned in literature because of abuses with sending out items from other cabins for them, as I understand. 

I would not send to laundry anything you will be upset about if ruined.  I made a mistake (a number of years pre-covid) and sent a silk blouse out for dry cleaning.  It was returned ruined.  I was told by Celebrity Guest Services to "run it through my home insurance".  (Nope, did not need a battle and rate increase from my insurance company.) Since then, I only pack (and send to laundry) clothing I won't be upset if ruined.  Murphy's law:  nothing has been ruined since.  🙂

• Like 1