Rainforest showers and benches are gone

Robjame

Rainforest shower heads can be a pain depending on where they are located in relation to the valve control. If you have to stand under the shower head when turning on the water you can get a blast of cold water initially. Unless you can turn the shower head away from you (i.e., if it pivots). 

More important to me is having a hand-held shower head or wand, whether it doubles as the main shower head or is separate.

I don't care about a bench either. When we had our bathrooms redone in our home we had the benches removed to create more space. A bench might be convenient for shaving your legs but that would also waste a lot of water if you're running the shower the whole time. Maybe water usage was a consideration as well. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, MarkWiltonM said:

I don't care about a bench either. When we had our bathrooms redone in our home we had the benches removed to create more space. A bench might be convenient for shaving your legs but that would also waste a lot of water if you're running the shower the whole time.

A bench is very handy if you like to use your own bar soap, shampoo, conditioner etc.  I can keep those things there [safely out of the way of the water flow, so the soap doesn't erode] and preserve limited space on the bathroom vanity.

I wonder if the problem on the bench was clearance of the shower door – can't tell because I haven't seen the new layout in detail.

41 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

A bench is very handy if you like to use your own bar soap, shampoo, conditioner etc.  I can keep those things there [safely out of the way of the water flow, so the soap doesn't erode] and preserve limited space on the bathroom vanity.

I wonder if the problem on the bench was clearance of the shower door – can't tell because I haven't seen the new layout in detail.

I used one bar of soap for 16 days, and kept it in the holder by the shower head, no issues with erosion, there was still some left when we left. That's a real non issue for me. 

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, ORV said:

I used one bar of soap for 16 days, and kept it in the holder by the shower head, no issues with erosion, there was still some left when we left. That's a real non issue for me. 

Not all showers have soap holders any more, and not all of them are positioned out of the water stream.  And when they remove a bath tub and make the entire area into a shower, do you really need every single square inch so that a bench would be in your way?

1 hour ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Not all showers have soap holders any more, and not all of them are positioned out of the water stream.  And when they remove a bath tub and make the entire area into a shower, do you really need every single square inch so that a bench would be in your way?

Yes. 😉

1 hour ago, PhD-iva said:

A bench can be an important aspect of accessibility. When my DH broke his hip, he made use of a portable bench in the shower.

I had thought of that, but the bathtub conversions I have seen put the bench at the far end away from the water source – and even the hand-held unit doesn't stretch that far.  So the built-in bench isn't really usable for accessibility [except as a place to sit if your stamina gives out].  You would still need a portable shower chair – and then the bench might be in the way.

• Like 1

Perhaps the initial refurbishment announcements were premature and the design was not confirmed. I n my experience, designers are good sales people but they never (rarely) consult with the actual engineers and trades people. the term "looks good on paper" comes to mind with designers. 🙂

Bottom line is that there will be a new shower, considerably bigger than before. That is normally good news except for those that want tubs. Having said that, most ships do not have tubs anyway so, no big deal.

This issue is much ado about nothing. I suspect no one will cancel their cruise because of this announcement. 🙂

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, pete_coach said:

Having said that, most ships do not have tubs anyway so, no big deal.

…and Oceania never had benches in the showers. However, I think a portable bench (seat) is something that may be available on request or, if it’s an issue, bring one with you. There are solutions.

8 hours ago, pete_coach said:

Enlarge the shower to encompass the area the tub was in.

Have you ever seen the current layout of the bathrooms we're discussing? Shower and tub are on opposite sides of the room. 

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, ORV said:

Have you ever seen the current layout of the bathrooms we're discussing? Shower and tub are on opposite sides of the room. 

Actually I did but I did not know how to post a picture. CC did not allow links in the past.

I thank Robjame for posting the photo I saw.  The site that photo was on also showed re-designed cabin photos.

cruiseradio dot net / oceania-crusies-major-renovatons-two-ships/

https://cruiseradio.net/oceania-cruises-major-renovations-two-ships/

Edited by pete_coach
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Robjame said:

As the plumbing must be changed to do away with the tub it will be a complete redo.

All bathrooms will be overhauled on the Marina and Riviera.

I don't really understand why the plumbing by the tub need to be redone, there is water there, and a drain. What am I missing here? The current shower water and drain would just be capped off. 

Are you thinking that the walk-in shower will be only the width of the old tub? Very hard to imagine from the picture but my thoughts were there would be a re-purposing of the space in the washroom. What is on that right hand side where the shower was? Has to be more than just space. Regardless, once they are into the floor and ceiling, then anything is possible.

• Like 1

It doesn't look like they are moving the plumbing. Based on the photos below of old and new of veranda cabin bathrooms, it looks like the new shower replaces the tub and occupies the same space. The sink and toilet are in the same location. The old shower is gone; not sure what they are doing with that space but additional storage makes sense. 

image.thumb.png.74a7abfa019315c530c3aa9c5f16f4a0.png

image.thumb.png.2d3570bb8a52fa646a6d5fa5cb74b56c.png

50 minutes ago, MarkWiltonM said:

It doesn't look like they are moving the plumbing. Based on the photos below of old and new of veranda cabin bathrooms, it looks like the new shower replaces the tub and occupies the same space. The sink and toilet are in the same location. The old shower is gone; not sure what they are doing with that space but additional storage makes sense. 

image.thumb.png.74a7abfa019315c530c3aa9c5f16f4a0.png

image.thumb.png.2d3570bb8a52fa646a6d5fa5cb74b56c.png

Where did you see these photos? Trying to see what the new bathroom will look like in the Penthouse suites.