Think IV cabins are a disaster? Royal is putting them on their newest ship!

kwokpot

14 hours ago, MustBCruzn said:

This was our experience with our IV on the Edge. We loved the ship, but were not fans of the IV cabin and won't book one again. Our second Edge cruise was in a SV...now that cabin we really enjoyed and would definitely book an SV again.

Same for us,. The SV was awesome...larger cabin, huge balcony, awesome views .

Fairly private location..we did not mind the walk to/ from the elevator.

We find that most Royal C cabins have always been a bit small.  No matter what, if we  ever go back to Royal, we would pick an older ship and NO IV.....it may  have a "Veranda"  but  it's NOT a balcony

• Like 2

3 hours ago, the penguins said:

Until the complex mechanisms start to be affected by the salt air and the windows jam in an open position. 

1 hour ago, basenji56 said:

Exactly.  We will see IVs locked down in the future until they can be fixed.  Bad news for the people who paid for a balcony and got an ocean view.

Is this a thing? Or just baseless speculation? I’m getting cruise critic user “labadee has been overrun by pirates” vibes by comments like these. (narrator voice: Labadee has not been overrun by pirates). 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, AstoriaPreppy said:

Is this a thing? Or just baseless speculation? I’m getting cruise critic user “labadee has been overrun by pirates” vibes by comments like these. (narrator voice: Labadee has not been overrun by pirates). 

I had trouble getting mine to work last year.  Had to call support.  And the ship wasn't very old.  Add multiple years of salt air and water into the equation.  Compare to traditional verandas that are low tech and only involve a door.  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, cruisestitch said:

Well, there’s a ship I shall never sail on…..

My thoughts exactly!

This is funny though:
“Edge has a lot of innovation. We need time to assess what works well and what doesn’t but we will take on some elements and put them on the new class of ship – Icon class and potentially Oasis 5."

Ummm....I guess they didn't say if they'll only take what works and put it on the new ship.  😄

Edited by D C

1 hour ago, RichYak said:

I have no issue with IV cabins themselves. The seem like they should have been a nice alternative cabin class, positioned/priced between oceanview and balcony cabins. Especially for cooler weather itineraries. However, they're not an alternative at all. Celebrity (and possibly now RCI) has gone all-in on IV's.

Exactly... an alternative, not a 90% replacement.

• Like 5

17 hours ago, hcat said:

We managed  with an IV on EDGE...but the cabin was too small overall and  never had the feel of a balcony.  Would not book again! 

We had an IV cabin aboard the Edge & loved it.  We felt it was an extension of the room, but could use the balcony as well

• Like 2

18 hours ago, kwokpot said:

I love them! Just do not understand why any one would not it opens up the cabin. When its hot you still have the large window to look out. My next cruise is in a Sky Suite and  disappointed it does not have one.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, basenji56 said:

I had trouble getting mine to work last year.  Had to call support.  And the ship wasn't very old.  Add multiple years of salt air and water into the equation.  Compare to traditional verandas that are low tech and only involve a door.  

In this case, you’re attributing your issues with the infinite balcony to caustic sea air, when it easily could have been something in the room (sensor, button, etc). That maintenance was able to resolve the issue makes me think it might not have been sea air, corrosion, and design flaws, but maybe something more benign. 

48 minutes ago, Tierun said:

Funny, I went over to the Royal board and no mention of this. I guess the loyal to Royal people haven’t seen this yet.

I’d guess Royal Caribbean cruisers might be more open to innovation? The line has been aggressive in trying new designs on ships for the last ~23 years or so in a way other cruise lines haven’t. They’ve conditioned their customers to expect new things, and outside of their attempt at rotational dining they’ve been pretty successful at it. That said, I’d love to go back to a 1999 cruise critic board and see people busting out pickaxes and torches for ice skating rinks and horizontal atriums on cruise ships. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, the penguins said:

Until the complex mechanisms start to be affected by the salt air and the windows jam in an open position. 

I am apparently one of the few that really like the IVs and would book one over a traditional balcony, but I have to admit I have been very curious about this happening and how they would fix it mid-cruise.  Probably not an issue with the newer ships but give it a couple years....

2 hours ago, curtsfan said:

We had an IV cabin aboard the Edge & loved it.  We felt it was an extension of the room, but could use the balcony as well

I really start to wonder if those who say they do not like them ever stayed in one?

Celebrity has lots of ships you do not like it sail on one of them.

After I cruised on the Edge (aqua class) in July I came home cancelled my Reflection cruise and booked Apex. But... the Sky Suite does not have it.

Edited by southernbreezes

"I really start to wonder if those who say they do not like them ever stayed in one?"

???

Plenty of folks have posted in the Celebrity forum after having stayed in one...and said they wouldn't do it again. Just sayin'.

As to the others? Well, one doesn't have to step in muddy water to see that it's muddy...

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, dlh015 said:

As to the others? Well, one doesn't have to step in muddy water to see that it's muddy...

Knowing if a living space is habitable/functional requires use, not your gut feeling if it’s putrid. 

I’ve found lot of cruisers have ideal staterooms that are… interesting choices. There are Princess cruisers who will go to the mat insisting that the line’s balcony staterooms are the best at sea. I on the other hand prefer a sofa/seating area in a standard stateroom and a closet with a door (not nonsensical semi-private dressing area). 

1 hour ago, Salt Lifer said:

I am apparently one of the few that really like the IVs and would book one over a traditional balcony, but I have to admit I have been very curious about this happening and how they would fix it mid-cruise.  Probably not an issue with the newer ships but give it a couple years....

Perhaps one of the few on CC, just keep in mind that the VAST majority of cruisers are not on CC.  If the lines are building new ships with IV cabins then they are selling.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, AstoriaPreppy said:

Knowing if a living space is habitable/functional requires use, not your gut feeling if it’s putrid. 

I’ve found lot of cruisers have ideal staterooms that are… interesting choices. There are Princess cruisers who will go to the mat insisting that the line’s balcony staterooms are the best at sea. I on the other hand prefer a sofa/seating area in a standard stateroom and a closet with a door (not nonsensical semi-private dressing area). 

My goodness, I would not say they or most any other stateroom are putrid! It was simply an analogy...perhaps you haven't seen it before.

How about 'one doesn't have to look at the sun to see it's bright'? Is that better?

Edited by dlh015

2 minutes ago, dlh015 said:

My goodness, I would not say they or most any other stateroom are putrid! It was simply an analogy...perhaps you haven't seen it before.

How about 'one doesn't have to look at the sun to see it's bright'? Is that better?

Absolutely have not heard any of those analogies, but that’s not the point: you need to physically experience a space to make a judgment, not look at it through photos/indirectly. We ended up liking the infinite verandah much more than anticipated, after being very “eh” at the photos.

You can tell you don’t like the bedspread in a photo, but vibes from photo tours don’t cut it. 

9 minutes ago, AstoriaPreppy said:

First time I’ve seen a first world issue such as cruising on a luxury ship described as putrid.  

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, AstoriaPreppy said:

Absolutely have not heard any of those analogies, but that’s not the point: you need to physically experience a space to make a judgment, not look at it through photos/indirectly. We ended up liking the infinite verandah much more than anticipated, after being very “eh” at the photos.

You can tell you don’t like the bedspread in a photo, but vibes from photo tours don’t cut it. 

I’ve not physically experienced dining at the White House, but my gut tells me I’d rather enjoy it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AstoriaPreppy said:

And you are certainly entitled to that opinion.  So you are not a proponent of  'a picture is worth a thousand words'. 

You must have heard of that one...

(of course in today's day and age, you sure can't trust photos anymore...lol...)

1 hour ago, southernbreezes said:

I really start to wonder if those who say they do not like them ever stayed in one?

Celebrity has lots of ships you do not like it sail on one of them.

After I cruised on the Edge (aqua class) in July I came home cancelled my Reflection cruise and booked Apex. But... the Sky Suite does not have it.

For us, it wasn't that we didnt like it (we did) its that we didnt think it was worth paying the full $2500 over the ocean view we originally booked.   We got it on a Move Up for around $300 and would definitely pay that again, just for the extra space if nothing else.  Having said that we would never choose it over a traditional balcony for the many reasons that have been discussed at length already.  

1 hour ago, LGW59 said:

Perhaps one of the few on CC, just keep in mind that the VAST majority of cruisers are not on CC.  If the lines are building new ships with IV cabins then they are selling.

Multiple variables at play.  I like almost all of the changes on the Edge class ships.  I dislike the Infinite Verandas because I don't spend time by the pool, I spend time on my veranda. It's not the same to sit next to an open window. But you can't assume that people book the Edge class ships BECAUSE OF rather than DESPITE the infinite verandas.  

• Like 5