Dress codes

tigger54

I seem to be finding mixed answers to this question.

How many gala nights on a 7 day Caribbean cruise on Nieuw Statendam ship? For my husband will a sports jacket and dress pants be dressy enough? Does he need to wear a tie?
Also, after dinner he likes to change back into shorts for the rest of the evening. We tend to turn in by 9:30 or so. I thought I read where shorts are not allowed around the ship in the evening. Is this true?
Thank you

Your husband will be fine without a tie. Many gentlemen go without wearing a tie...me included. I stopped bringing a sports jacket now as it is not necessary and bulky to pack. I often change back to my regular clothes after dinner, but most do not.Our experience with HAL cruises to the Caribbean, is two Gala nights per 7 day cruise. 

Edited by mr. godfredo
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, tigger54 said:

For my husband will a sports jacket and dress pants be dressy enough? Does he need to wear a tie?

From the HAL website....and I wear my kaki long pants and a long sleeve dress shirt to dinner in the MDR and I'm good to go.  No coat or tie required.

Q: Are a jacket and tie required for men? 

A: Jacket and tie is the preferred attire in all fine dining restaurants on Dressy Nights, though it is not required. Guests without a jacket and tie were allowed in the fine dining restaurants before the new wording so this is not a policy change. 

13 minutes ago, tigger54 said:

Also, after dinner he likes to change back into shorts for the rest of the evening.

I have not read in the HAL info that shorts are forbidden in the evening around the ship (they are not permitted in the MDR in the evening but that is not your question).

Some do change back into casual attire after dinner.....Me included sometimes.

Enjoy the cruise!

2 hours ago, tigger54 said:

How many gala nights on a 7 day Caribbean cruise on Nieuw Statendam ship? For my husband will a sports jacket and dress pants be dressy enough? Does he need to wear a tie?
Also, after dinner he likes to change back into shorts for the rest of the evening. We tend to turn in by 9:30 or so. I thought I read where shorts are not allowed around the ship in the evening. Is this true?
Thank you

Cunard and Viking (maybe others) maintain the dress code throughout the ship in the evening.   That's probably where you read that.   Holland America only maintains a very relaxed dress code in the MDR.   

As an aside, Viking Ocean doesn't have gala or dressy nights, but they call every evening  "elegant casual".  When you see their definition of 'elegant casual" - it's the same as HAL's gala night....So in a way - every night on Viking Ocean is equivalent to a dressy night on HAL - plus the dress code is everywhere except the equivalent of the Lido.   

But - on HAL - dress code is only in the MDR.

41 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

I’m pretty sure a few years back hal had in its verbiage that the expectation was that you stay “dressed” for the evening.  Now it’s too much to ask to put on long pants to eat in the mdr or club orange. 

Here is the dress code from 2004 - see the last paragraph:

blank.gif

PLANNING & ADVICE:
Packing & baggage

Clothing and dress code
The right clothing can make a big difference in the enjoyment of your cruise. First and foremost, dress for comfort. Daily life aboard ship and in ports of call is laid-back and casual. We encourage you to wear whatever makes you feel most comfortable-sportswear, shorts, sundresses, slacks, and so on. Warmer climates call for clothing made of lightweight, breathable fabrics. For cooler climates we suggest casual clothes that can be layered easily and possibly a raincoat and waterproof hat or umbrella and gloves. Bring a swimsuit-all of our ships have pools and whirlpools. You may wish to bring more than one outfit for the water, if you'll be spending much time in and around it. We ask that you wear shoes and a cover-up over a bathing suit when walking through the interior of the ship.

If you'd like to jog on deck or work out in the fitness center, bring workout gear. Footwear should include comfortable walking shoes for visits ashore and sandals or rubber-soled shoes for strolling on deck.

Evening dress falls into three distinct categories. Each night a daily program will be delivered to your stateroom announcing the suggested dress for the following evening. Comfortable, relaxed clothing is fine for evenings designated as casual; however, T-shirts, jeans, swimsuits, tank tops and shorts are not allowed in the dining room, Lido restaurant, or public areas during the evening hours. During informal nights, dresses or pantsuits for women and jackets (tie optional) for men are standard.

On festive formal evenings, women usually wear cocktail dresses or gowns and men usually wear business suits or tuxedos. There are approximately two formal nights per week. (Gentlemen: Although business suits or tuxedos are suggested attire for formal evenings, they are certainly not required. You are welcome to wear a jacket and tie on formal nights.) Formalwear for ladies and gentlemen can be pre-ordered for your use for the duration of your cruise. Just call Cruise Line Formalwear at 800-551-5091 to reserve and it will be ready in your stateroom when you board.

In order to complement your fellow guests, Holland America asks that you observe the suggested dress code throughout the entire evening.

Here it is from 2012 - It's still there

The right clothing can make a big difference in the enjoyment of your cruise. First and foremost, dress for comfort. Daily life aboard ship and in ports of call is relaxed and casual. Warmer climates call for clothing made of lightweight, breathable fabrics. For cooler climates, we suggest casual clothes that can be layered easily and possibly a raincoat and waterproof hat or umbrella and gloves. Certain shore excursions may require particular attention to clothing. For example, certain churches or other places of worship may not allow tank tops or short pants. Bring a swimsuit as all of our ships have pools and whirlpools. You may wish to bring more than one outfit for the water. We ask that you wear shoes and a cover-up over a bathing suit when walking through the interior of the ship. If you would like to jog on the sports deck or work out in the fitness center, bring workout gear. Footwear should include comfortable walking shoes for visits ashore and sandals or rubber-soled shoes for strolling on deck.

Evening dress falls into two distinct categories: Formal or Smart Casual. Smart Casual can be defined as slacks and collared shirts for men and casual dresses, slacks and informal evening wear for women. T-shirts, swimsuits, tank tops and shorts are not allowed in the restaurants or public areas during the evening hours. On festive Formal evenings, ladies usually wear a suit, cocktail dress or gown and gentlemen wear a jacket and tie, dark suit or tuxedo. There are approximately two formal nights per week.

In order to complement your fellow guests, Holland America Line asks that you observe the suggested dress code throughout the entire evening.

Sometime in 2015 - it changed to  GALA nights and eliminated the reference to the rest of the evening - the rest is history

Q: Did HAL change their dress code?

A: Yes, some refinements were made to improve consistency and the policy now reads:

• Most evenings smart casual attire is appropriate. Shorts, pool/beachwear, distressed jeans and men’s tank tops are best left to the daytime and are not permitted in fine dining restaurants.
  • Gala Nights evoke the grand traditions of cruising as guests dress to impress for special events on board, including our five-course gourmet dinner in the Dining Room. For gentlemen, collared shirts and slacks are required in all fine dining restaurants.

Q: Why the change from “Formal” To “Gala” night?

A: To many, the “Formal” term was misleading as it implies a specific type of dress (black tie or tuxedo) that has never been a requirement. “Gala” still implies festive or dressy without misleading guests to bring attire the majority of guests don’t wear.

Q: What about ladies’ gala attire?

A: Dressy attire is appropriate. Dresses, skirts, and slacks are all acceptable.

A: Jacket and tie is the preferred attire in all fine dining restaurants on Gala Nights, though it is not required. Guests without a jacket and tie were allowed in the fine dining restaurants before the new wording so this is not a policy change.

Q: Are jeans allowed?

A: Jeans without holes, tears or embroidery are welcome on most evenings in all restaurants, but on Gala Nights jeans are only allowed in the casual dining restaurants.

Q: Can I wear shorts in the main dining room?

A: Not at dinner. The dining room is considered a fine dining restaurant and shorts are not permitted.

Q: Is the dress code the same on Grand Voyages?

A: Yes. The policy applies to all Holland America Line voyages.

Here is the latest - as the years go by it was harder and harder to find this info...

A: Yes, some refinements were made to improve consistency and the policy now reads: 

• Most evenings smart casual attire is appropriate. Shorts, pool/beachwear, distressed jeans and men’s tank tops are best left to the daytime and are not permitted in fine dining restaurants. 
  • Dressy Nights evoke the grand traditions of cruising as guests dress to impress for special events on board, including our five-course gourmet dinner in the Dining Room. For gentlemen, collared shirts and slacks are required in all fine dining restaurants. 

Q: Why the change from “Formal” To “Dressy” night? 

A: To many, the “Formal” term was misleading as it implies a specific type of dress (black tie or tuxedo) that has never been a requirement. “Dressy” still implies festive or dressy without misleading guests to bring attire the majority of guests don’t wear. 

Q: What about ladies’ dressy attire? 

A: Dressy attire is appropriate. Dresses, skirts, and slacks are all acceptable. 

A: Jacket and tie is the preferred attire in all fine dining restaurants on Dressy Nights, though it is not required. Guests without a jacket and tie were allowed in the fine dining restaurants before the new wording so this is not a policy change. 

A: Jeans without holes, tears or embroidery are welcome on most evenings in all restaurants, but on Dressy Nights jeans are only allowed in the casual dining restaurants. 

A: Not at dinner. The dining room is considered a fine dining restaurant and shorts are not permitted.

It seems that most lines changed around 2015

More HERE from the Wash Post 

Edited by The-Inside-Cabin
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 5

7 hours ago, The-Inside-Cabin said:

Cunard and Viking (maybe others) maintain the dress code throughout the ship in the evening.   That's probably where you read that.   Holland America only maintains a very relaxed dress code in the MDR.   

As an aside, Viking Ocean doesn't have gala or dressy nights, but they call every evening  "elegant casual".  When you see their definition of 'elegant casual" - it's the same as HAL's gala night....So in a way - every night on Viking Ocean is equivalent to a dressy night on HAL - plus the dress code is everywhere except the equivalent of the Lido.   

But - on HAL - dress code is only in the MDR.

@The-Inside-Cabin, I have no personal experience with Cunard, but my reading suggests it's vastly more formal than Viking. You are correct that others maintain an evening dress code throughout the ship (Regent is an example).

Viking's requirements are only for the main and specialty restaurants, performances and specialty events. You can wear what you like outside of those venues (eg. shorts). The World Cafe is always more casual. From the Viking FAQ: 

During the day, dress is casual including shorts (if the season is warm), slacks or jeans and comfortable shoes for walking tours. Swimsuits, brief shorts, cover-ups and exercise attire should be reserved for the Fitness Center, pool areas and Sports Deck. There are no “formal nights” in the evening; evening dress is “elegant casual” for all dining venues, performances and special events. On these occasions, required attire for ladies includes a dress, skirt or slacks with a sweater or blouse; for gentlemen, trousers and a collared shirt. A tie and jacket are optional; jeans are not permitted. The evening dress excludes World Café where the dress remains casual after 6:00 PM. 

🍺🥌

3 hours ago, CurlerRob said:

@The-Inside-Cabin, I have no personal experience with Cunard, but my reading suggests it's vastly more formal than Viking. You are correct that others maintain an evening dress code throughout the ship (Regent is an example).

Viking's requirements are only for the main and specialty restaurants, performances and specialty events. You can wear what you like outside of those venues (eg. shorts). The World Cafe is always more casual. From the Viking FAQ: 

During the day, dress is casual including shorts (if the season is warm), slacks or jeans and comfortable shoes for walking tours. Swimsuits, brief shorts, cover-ups and exercise attire should be reserved for the Fitness Center, pool areas and Sports Deck. There are no “formal nights” in the evening; evening dress is “elegant casual” for all dining venues, performances and special events. On these occasions, required attire for ladies includes a dress, skirt or slacks with a sweater or blouse; for gentlemen, trousers and a collared shirt. A tie and jacket are optional; jeans are not permitted. The evening dress excludes World Café where the dress remains casual after 6:00 PM. 

🍺🥌

I have been on both Cunard and Viking....Cunard back in 2016 - Every night was jacket required and on formal night, 90% of men were in a tux - the rest dark suits - amazing experience.   

Viking Ocean - although I guess you could have hung out in the Living room in shorts or jeans - no one did - at least not that I noticed.  

7 hours ago, The-Inside-Cabin said:

I have been on both Cunard and Viking....Cunard back in 2016 - Every night was jacket required and on formal night, 90% of men were in a tux - the rest dark suits - amazing experience.   

Viking Ocean - although I guess you could have hung out in the Living room in shorts or jeans - no one did - at least not that I noticed.  

I agree with Rob’s take. During our Viking cruises, our usual attire in the evenings was long pants and a polo shirt. If we elected to eat in the World Cafe (buffet) we might not change clothes and that didn’t keep us from going anywhere else on the ship.  If we were having a special night, then we put on our dress shirts.

For our HAL cruises next week, we will dress similarly-kahkis and a polo for non-dressy nights and dress pants, dress shirt, and we even are taking a jacket for the dressy nights. 

2EFFE799-BDA3-4949-AB82-5F88883200B8.jpeg

BB3AF6B3-60C7-485B-BB29-4448AD2755A1.webp

• Like 1

I searched the hollandamerica.com for "dress code" hoping to find the current information The-Inside-Cabin posted. The results demonstrate what a miserable website and search engine Holland America has.

First result under "What to Pack for an Alaska Cruise":

"Cruise Dinner Dress

"Formal wear: Anticipate two formal nights per week. Ladies wear a cocktail dress or gown and gentlemen don a suit and tie or tuxedo.

"Smart-casual wear for dinner: Slacks and collared shirts or sweaters for men. Skirt or trousers, sweater or blouse for women."

Second result under "Caribbean Cruise Packing List":

"Apparel for fine dining restaurants (collared shirts/slacks, dresses/skirts). Formal wear for Dressy Nights, pajamas, workout clothes if you plan to use our fitness center. Find out more about Caribbean weather in our article about the best time to cruise the Caribbean.

Third result under "Peru's Galapagos: the Ballestas Islands": Nothing about dress codes.

Fourth result under "Cruises to Cartagena, Colombia | Holland America Line Cruises": Nothing about dress codes, but the word "formal" is used.

Fifth result under "Packing List for Europe":

"Evening and Dining

'Long-sleeve tops and sweaters
    'Dress pants
    'Cocktail dress or formal dress for Galas
    'Dress pants, collared shirt, blouses
    'Dress shoes

I did not bother looking for dress code information on the last five search results that were about shore excursions.

• Haha 1

I went to the "cruise preparation" section of the FAQ's and typed DRESS CODE and got this.....And love the simplicity of the "requirements" as compared to the past.....

Enjoy the journey......

Is There A Dress Code?

Answer

• Most evenings smart casual attire is appropriate. Shorts, pool/beachwear, distressed jeans and men’s tank tops are best left to the daytime and are not permitted in fine dining restaurants. 
  • Dressy Nights evoke the grand traditions of cruising as guests dress to impress for special events on board, including our five-course gourmet dinner in the Dining Room. For gentlemen, collared shirts and slacks are required in all fine dining restaurants. 

Q: Why the change from “Formal” To “Dressy” night? 

A: To many, the “Formal” term was misleading as it implies a specific type of dress (black tie or tuxedo) that has never been a requirement. “Dressy” still implies festive or dressy without misleading guests to bring attire the majority of guests don’t wear. 

Q: What about ladies’ dressy attire? 

A: Jeans without holes, tears or embroidery are welcome on most evenings in all restaurants, but on Dressy Nights jeans are only allowed in the casual dining restaurants. 

On 9/23/2022 at 12:09 PM, tigger54 said:

Thank you

Up to two gala nights. Usually two. Your boarding pass will say how many. The Navigator app won’t reflect them until you’re onboard, unfortunately. 
yes he’ll be dressy enough. No need for a tie unless you want him to wear one 😉

yes he can change back into shorts after dinner. Mine always does. The long pants required dress code is just for the sit-down restaurants. 

3 hours ago, faerievert said:

Up to two gala nights. Usually two. Your boarding pass will say how many. The Navigator app won’t reflect them until you’re onboard, unfortunately. 
yes he’ll be dressy enough. No need for a tie unless you want him to wear one 😉

yes he can change back into shorts after dinner. Mine always does. The long pants required dress code is just for the sit-down restaurants. 

Actually people are reporting it’s no longer on the boarding pass lately.  It makes me think something is up.  I’ve done a ton of 7 day cruises.  All had 2 gala, dressy whatever you want to call it.

I had an interesting thing come up on my phone feed.  Apparently there was a thread of cruise clothing that was on Reddit.  Someone posted that they wore shorts to the mdr and they were steamed that they couldn’t gain entrance.  Yet another person come in their pj’s, same thing miffed because they couldn’t gain entrance to the mdr 🙄.  The article didn’t mention the cruise line.