BTimmer's Almost Live Downunder 2022 - (10/2/22 to 12/6/22 on the Westerdam)

Btimmer

2 hours ago, oakridger said:

Aw come on Tim…..what’s the rush?  😁

Yup, we have all day tomorrow!  Fortunately, we've done this many times, so packing is pretty easy.  Plus we limit ourselves to one roll on and a backpack. The biggest issue is which t-shirts to bring.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

It's the last night before our departure.  We're packed.  We passed our Covid tests.  Verifly is loaded and we've got boarding passes on our phone and paper copies as well.  We enjoyed time earlier today with the grandkids. I've spoken by telephone with close cruise friends who aren't able to make the trip, and they will be following along.  It seems sort of surreal that our departure is imminent after planning for such a long time amid many changes in the itinerary for this first cruise on the last HAL ship we've not previously sailed on.  And for the first cruise on the Westerdam to be 64 days is nice as well.  Our general plans are to do a lot of snorkeling.

Tomorrow's weather is projected to be spectacular.  Our Meet & Greet participants are planning for a sail away party near the 9th Floor aft Lido pool area at 3pm. We'll be competing with HAL's sail away party. We'll then gather the next day at 1pm in the Billboard Onboard area.  As the host, I'm expecting around 100 people there. 

Again, if you have questions about the ship, protocols, ports, itinerary, and anything cruising related, please post your question in this thread.  I'll try to answer your question as honestly as possible.

Here's to "red skies at night, sailor's delight!". My next post should be from onboard.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

We're onboard and we have another inside cabin postage stamp sized room. But it will work for us.  Verifly was definitely worth it!!!

Our luggage even beat us! It took around 40 minutes to board.

we passed this group with Verifly.

91086562-F15B-4C96-A3E4-B6759BEC0D0D.thumb.jpeg.0bed675dee0555fb167c6dcdf5c0926d.jpeg

1667FA03-6A12-4307-917D-DE1109F56E1D.thumb.jpeg.6e8198cbd9ee5dc82a2e381352b55030.jpegB044F6AD-C788-46E5-9D9A-A5AAB5B0CD7E.thumb.jpeg.894e754ced0e8dac7f47ffb69fbfb07a.jpeg

488628B7-96B1-47AB-902B-B0262024F81E.thumb.png.a40038477274997eecffa00d618f97a0.png

F1263C05-8A6D-433B-B3BC-218C4A6D7C38.thumb.jpeg.0572340dacd37b62ca67dcaeefe4b183.jpeg

36AA043D-CC78-4A67-832B-9A0899026850.thumb.jpeg.5b556e91fc68a722851451c2247d1c9d.jpeg

0ECC2304-050A-4BC2-8168-03D437AC614D.thumb.jpeg.8071a5182326653d51cf831a430e3898.jpeg
We'll get this fixed

8666952C-62E3-470E-BC95-B9AFF228EB9C.thumb.jpeg.e49b29e83109b0b022da1d71d327ed7c.jpeg
First meal

• Like 14
  • Thanks 3

Pleased that you are safely on board the Westerdam.

Checked my cruise diaries, we met you board the Maasdam, 2016,   Circumnavigation of Australia, the Master was Captain Ane Jan Smit.  The planned visit to Kangaroo Island was cancelled due to rough weather   During the day in Brisbane we  noticed that the ship was flying our New Zealand flag instead of the Australian flag. 

Edited by erewhon
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, erewhon said:

Pleased that you are safely on board the Westerdam.

Checked my cruise diaries, we met you board the Maasdam, 2016,   Circumnavigation of Australia, the Master was Captain Ane Jan Smit.  The planned visit to Kangaroo Island was cancelled due to rough weather   During the day in Brisbane we  noticed that the ship was flying our New Zealand flag instead of the Australian flag. 

That was a terrific cruise!  We're hoping to make Kangaroo island this voyage.

• Like 2

We are moved into our postage sized stateroom.  There are only two small drawers in the nightstand.  But magnetic hooks are saving the day.

We had a small Cruise Critic sailaway party in the aft Lido pool area followed by a Mariner Reception where a small group of Cruise Critic members enjoyed conversation and drinks.

This cruise has an official pastor for the interdenominational service.  This is a change from the past 5 years or so.

The Origins EXC talk was the evening entertainment.  And last we gain an hour tonight.

It's been a great start to the cruise.

DE0638E9-C05B-4747-BC45-02C6FDB8C07A.thumb.jpeg.f322878e59dadc3ac8b2979a74039cbf.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

11 hours ago, Btimmer said:

This cruise has an official pastor for the interdenominational service.  This is a change from the past 5 years or so.

Glad to hear HAL is bringing back interdenominational pastors onboard for longer cruises!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, cruisinteach2 said:

Glad to hear HAL is bringing back interdenominational pastors onboard for longer cruises!

I am as well pleased with this news.  Whomever is employed, I hope, will be worthy of their position.  Most have been, but, there was a couple employed for a Christmas/New Year's cruise when I sailed the Prinsendam who were dreadful.  Attendance for their services began well; dwindled; dwindled; my traveling companion and I stopped attending.  They performed a nice Communion Service, but, for each service, even on Christmas Eve, with no message at any of the services?  

• Like 1

The cruise to Alaska last week on Nieuw Amsterdam didn’t have a catholic priest but on this cruise to San Diego then FLL I see mass being offered. I’m assuming that a priest does the mass. (I’m not catholic but I thought only priests offer mass 🤷‍♀️) Today is a sea day and it was at 8am.             ~Nancy 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, oakridger said:

The cruise to Alaska last week on Nieuw Amsterdam didn’t have a catholic priest but on this cruise to San Diego then FLL I see mass being offered. I’m assuming that a priest does the mass. (I’m not catholic but I thought only priests offer mass 🤷‍♀️) Today is a sea day and it was at 8am.             ~Nancy 

We were on a HAL cruise this past year and a Catholic layman led their service until a priest joined the ship.

• Like 2

Just now, Radbooks said:

Tim,

Any word on possible changes to some of the South Sea islands? I saw a note on FB that said that Carnival is having to changes stops. I can't remember if you are going to those... Isle of Pine and Mare.

I've not heard of any changes other than possibly a delayed arrival into Honolulu due to our 12 hour delay because of the medical helicopter evacuation earlier today.  If I hear anything, I'll post it here. We're not going to Isle of Pine and Mare.  That being said, with many of these remote islands being just now being reopened to cruise ships, changes can be expected.

• Like 2

It was a quiet night and we're cruising along at around 22 miles an hour.  It's pretty overcast with moderate swells.

My daily blog is current and can be found at:  HTTPS://timmer2022du.blogspot.com

Yesterday's meet and greet was well attended and a lot of connections were made after seeing just screen names these past many months. 

• Like 3