Suggestions for new CCL ships?

havanadaydreaming

If you could add a couple things to the proverbial Havanadaydreaming class of shipe premiering late 2020s...what would you add to the ship? 

Me? I looooooove the ncl epic (not a popular opinion), especially the aft video screen that shows movies and nfl games when not used for dance parties.  Looooove sailing away from a port at sunset and then having the aft screen light up the dark, even if playing 1980s mtv videos.  Plus, area has a full bar and smoking area on one side.  Win, win for everyone!  Id copy that setup for our CCL Daydreaming class. 

Also, i make it mandatory to have at least two folks working at Pizza Pirate.  Not so much for speed but to give worker a companion during busy times.  I always feel for those working solo with long lines.  

My 3rd suggestion is a few recommendations for trivia.  The sports questions this year have been identical on several different ships, so i dont tabulate my score for a ship on a stick.  But others do, which isnt "fair" to newbies. Lets randomize these contests to even the odds.  Also, please give me a Jimmy Buffett trivia 1x.  Id go back every sailing just to see how folks answered! 

Ncl has a Cavern Club where the Beatles cover band plays different era songs different nights. I propose a grunge era venue featuring different eras of pearl jam.  Bring yo flannel!

• Like 1

I think my focus would be on ship layout:

1) Pools and venues need to be larger in proportion to the newer ships.  Pools and hot tubs rarely accommodate the number of people who actually want to use them.  Bars, piano bars and other venues in the new ships also only seem capable of accommodating a few dozen people on ships with 4,000+ passengers.  I can't remember the last time I actually was able to sit down at the Alchemy Bar. 

2) Serenity Deck placement and improvements.  Many of the newer ships have the "peaceful" serenity deck on windy, high decks with the water slide entrance sharing the entry steps.  

3) Better design for getting on and off the ships in ports.  It always seems crazy to me that large quantities of passengers are forced to get on and off the ship in 2 narrow entry areas with narrow stairs and limited elevators. There's gotta be a better way to get everyone on and off the ship.

• Like 2

I actually like the concept of the neighborhoods in the new ships. Can they take it one step further? Bring back the balconies in the family haven area. I would 100% book this area for young kids but we are balcony people so no balcony is no go for me. Could they put these cabins closer to water works and maybe do a family focused pool area? That would draw kids to that area instead of the aft pool that could be more adult focused like it used to be. 

40 minutes ago, Number12 said:

Make the venue for the comedy club larger.

This is an easy fix for existing ships, but it happens very seldom. Simply, move the comedy shows into the main theater. If they did this, they could implement it on every comedy show, fleet-wide. 

• Like 3

Way Bigger pools or more of them, and more hot tubs. Bigger comedy club, 24 hour cafe,  bring the food back to the quality is was a dozen years ago, more dessert options in MDR again. Better staff to passenger ratio. Remember when they had time to say hello and seemed happy…now they’re sweating, hurried and not as enthusiastic, feels and seems odd to us. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Colorado Beach Bum said:

On Vista class ships there is almost always a waiter. 

Good to know.  We were on Sunshine and Alchemy had the 3 mixologists, one of them trying to cover some of the overflow.  On Mardi Gras we had a waiter take care of us when there were not any open seats at the bar.  I guess it depends on the ship.

Our Thanksgiving cruise will be on Elation so I suppose we should just feel lucky that there will be an Alchemy Bar there!

Edited by ninjacat123

3 minutes ago, ninjacat123 said:

Good to know.  We were on Sunshine and Alchemy had the 3 mixologists, one of them trying to cover some of the overflow.  On Mardi Gras we had a waiter take care of us when there were not any open seats at the bar.  I guess it depends on the ship.

Our Thanksgiving cruise will be on Elation so I suppose we should just feel lucky that there will be an Alchemy Bar there!

Is there an Alchemy Bar on Elation now!?  There wasn't in January 2020, on my B2B.  I missed it so much!  Even the martini bar couldn't make me a good hand-crafted cocktail.🙁

1 minute ago, ShakyBeef said:

Is there an Alchemy Bar on Elation now!?  There wasn't in January 2020, on my B2B.  I missed it so much!  Even the martini bar couldn't make me a good hand-crafted cocktail.🙁

Here it is on the deck plans for Elation.  Better be there when I'm on board or somebody will need a krakenvagen (spelling incorrect I think)😉

elation alchemy.jpg

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, ninjacat123 said:

Here it is on the deck plans for Elation.  Better be there when I'm on board or somebody will need a krakenvagen (spelling incorrect I think)😉

elation alchemy.jpg

I think that might be where the martini bar was in 2020.  It would make sense for them to change that over to Alchemy.  I wish they had done it pre-2020 for my sake, but I'm glad they've finally done it for your sake. (Krankenwagen😉🤣)

4 hours ago, silvercrikhix said:

Way Bigger pools or more of them, and more hot tubs. Bigger comedy club, 24 hour cafe,  bring the food back to the quality is was a dozen years ago, more dessert options in MDR again. Better staff to passenger ratio. Remember when they had time to say hello and seemed happy…now they’re sweating, hurried and not as enthusiastic, feels and seems odd to us. 

Might be nice, but in reality none of these will ever happen unless Carnival finds a way to monetize them.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, DallasGuy75219 said:

Might be nice, but in reality none of these will ever happen unless Carnival finds a way to monetize them.

Like the OP's fantasy itinerary thread, I don't think this is about reality.  Just wishes.  Sometimes it's fun to wish.🙂

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, ninjacat123 said:

Ok, I have to ask...what plays would you want to see?  I would want to see "noises off"☺️

Ooh, that's a fun one!  But I would be happy to see practically any play on a cruise!  I'm a bit of a theatre nut - did a lot of it myself in college, and my sister and brother-in-law are professional actors in D.C.   I've seen a LOT of plays in the last 30 years or so.  Shakespeare to modern avant-garde, three acts or one, comedy or tragedy or anything in between.  I love live theatre!  One night a week in the Main Theatre, maybe two - one at a time suitable for Early Dining folks and one at a time for Late Dining (so I guess that would mean two nights per cruise) would be great!

Maybe something fun along the lines of "Dial M For Murder", or "Blythe Spirit", or "Educating Rita".  But really, just about anything.  It should be PG, though, so it could be family-friendly.  I LOVE this idea!

Edited by ShakyBeef
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, ShakyBeef said:

Ooh, that's a fun one!  But I would be happy to see practically any play on a cruise!  I'm a bit of a theatre nut - did a lot of it myself in college, and my sister and brother-in-law are professional actors in D.C.   I've seen a LOT of plays in the last 30 years or so.  Shakespeare to modern avant-garde, three acts or one, comedy or tragedy or anything in between.  I love live theatre!  One night a week in the Main Theatre, maybe two - one at a time suitable for Early Dining folks and one at a time for Late Dining (so I guess that would mean two nights per cruise) would be great!

Maybe something fun along the lines of "Dial M For Murder", or "Blythe Spirit", or "Educating Rita".  But really, just about anything.  It should be PG, though, so it could be family-friendly.  I LOVE this idea!

Good choices!  "Wait Until Dark", "Scapino", "Lysistrata" (ok, too much sex references) would be fun.  Would a cruise ship passenger want to sit for at least 90 minutes of theatre? 

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, ninjacat123 said:

Good choices!  "Wait Until Dark", "Scapino", "Lysistrata" (ok, too much sex references) would be fun.  Would a cruise ship passenger want to sit for at least 90 minutes of theatre? 

Another play would be "Deathtrap".  Small cast, one location I think.