Has anyone heard how the Canadian cruise docks handled fiona

Topdog52

4 minutes ago, shof515 said:

Charlottetown is closed, the Joy was supposed to dock there today and had to cancel the port stop. It is now going to Newfoundland

Yesterday the Getaway docked at St John and Halifax had two cruise ships docked

Thank You!!

Go direct to CBC.CA (Canada news network station) for updated news & info, as info become available - here's a fairly new report - https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/fiona-power-thousandswithoutpower-1.6595687

Power outage - http://outagemap.nspower.ca/external/default.html

Rescue, cleanup and recovery already underway will take time, along with restoration of essential public services and businesses re-opening up, etc.  IMHO, best not suitable for cruise ship passengers to come visit and see, or tour operators ashore to assume it's business as usual in the coming days.  Perhaps sometime next month for some of the hard hit areas ... Halifax was mostly spared and cruise ships can ... are docking there again, berths are limited (we're there last Wednesday just ahead of Fiona.)  Wishing our "neighbors" next door in NS speedy recovery.  

Edited by mking8288
  • Like 2

Heard from family in Sydney. The power was out, lots of trees and power lines down. The family homes were okay, even the ones on the bluffs, but there are places missing roofs, houses moved off their foundations.

It'll take a while to get running again as electricity poles have been broken off at the bases.

• Like 1

Quebec City and Saguenay were unaffected by Fiona (I live in Quebec City). My sister is currently on the Holland America Statendam and the Captain announced yesterday that they would have to skip Charlottetown and Sydney. They added Saguenay to the itinerary instead,

1 hour ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Yeah, but I only remembered problems around NJ/NY.  Not Canada.  I asked a question and received an informative answer.

What was amazing about Sandy was how far West, at least in PA the high winds hit. I'm in Montgomery County, NW of Philadelphia we had sustained winds of 50mph and guest to 75mph for hours. Power was out for 6 days

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Yeah, but I only remembered problems around NJ/NY.  Not Canada.  I asked a question and received an informative answer.

Some photos of the hardest hit areas:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/in-photos-atlantic-canada-recovering-from-storm-fiona-s-path-of-destruction-1.6595136

Each of the provinces had their emergency response center activated before the storm hit and the federal government and other provinces will help if asked.  There are around 300 Canadian Forces solders with military helicopters and heavy equipment dispatch already to assist local emergency services.  The local power utilities have crews from other utilities coming in to assist with restoring power. 

• Thanks 1