Chances of next weeks Canadian cruise happening

smlri

We are due to leave Sunday for a 6 day cruise to the recently hurricane damaged Canadian Atlantic. After seeing the news, I assume that at least 2 of our scheduled ports definitely are closed which would then leave only 2 others (think Halifax could possibly open within a week but may not allow ships). We have insurance so that doesn’t matter but were looking forward to vacation. For those of you who have had their cruise affected by weather events, what happens now?  

I think your cruise will still go and alternate ports will be found.  One cruise is now stopping in Saguenay ((a nice spot) that I know of.  Not sure where your stops are (guessing Sydney & PEI?). I believe the port of Saint John is operational, not sure if Halifax will be or not.  

We’ve hit weather events in the past and our itinerary was changed to avoid the risky/damaged areas and we either went to a different port, went earlier to the next port and overnighted and occasionally had a sea day.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the info. Yes PEI and Sydney are 2 on our schedule and sounds as if it will be some time before they are up and running. Thought Halifax might open sooner as it is an important port for leisure, shipping and military but would be happy to go to other ports if available. Just don’t want a “cruise to nowhere.”

My mother is currently on the Zaandam which is docked in Halifax (9/26/22).  They were not allowed off the ship due to the power outages.  When asked if she knew what the plan was for the remaining ports, she said she has not received any updates.  They originally left Boston on Saturday, stopped in Bar Harbor on Sunday and are now sitting on the ship in Halifax port on Monday.  Supposed to go to Sydney, Nova Scotia on Tuesday....etc.  Fingers crossed they find alternative stops. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Itinerary Update:  My mom clarified reports that there were folks who did in fact get off the ship in Halifax but that town was basically closed.  She just received a letter in her stateroom stating that they are:

"no longer able to stop in Sydney, NS on 9/27 and will instead spend the day at sea.  Additionally, we are unable to visit Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island on Wednesday 9/28 due to damage from the storm, and will instead call to Baie Comeau, on 9/28.  We have also added a visit to Saguenay on Thursday, 9/29.  We will then continue to Quebec City for our scheduled call on Friday 9/30 and expect to arrive there one hour earlier than scheduled."

I feel bad for her as the whole reason for the trip was her lifelong dream to visit Cape Breton Island.  This is her 75th birthday gift to herself.  I told her I will take her for her 76th birthday 🙂

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

2 minutes ago, Kingsmom said:

Itinerary Update:  My mom clarified reports that there were folks who did in fact get off the ship in Halifax but that town was basically closed.  She just received a letter in her stateroom stating that they are:

"no longer able to stop in Sydney, NS on 9/27 and will instead spend the day at sea.  Additionally, we are unable to visit Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island on Wednesday 9/28 due to damage from the storm, and will instead call to Baie Comeau, on 9/28.  We have also added a visit to Saguenay on Thursday, 9/29.  We will then continue to Quebec City for our scheduled call on Friday 9/30 and expect to arrive there one hour earlier than scheduled."

I feel bad for her as the whole reason for the trip was her lifelong dream to visit Cape Breton Island.  This is her 75th birthday gift to herself.  I told her I will take her for her 76th birthday 🙂

Thank you for the update.  If it helps, at all, the Saguenay Fjord is absolutely gorgeous.  Tell her to get up early for the sunrise.  Sydney isn’t the same since covid so a 76th birthday visit would be perfect!  Would love to visit Baie Comeau.  I hope your Mom enjoys the new itinerary!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I received an email this morning from HAL saying that our itinerary had changed. The only change was that we were now scheduled to leave Charlottetown at 3pm on October 6, rather than 6pm. 

After seeing qoap24’s posts, I checked my Navigator app. It shows at sea days for October 5 (formerly Sydney) and October 6 (formerly Charlottetown). Weird, because that is not consistent with either the notice I received this morning or qoap24’s app. 

I called HAL and was told their records match our original itinerary, with the slight change in the Charlottetown departure time that I received earlier. 

I was advised to check back tomorrow. 

2 hours ago, smlri said:

Heard from PEI tourism person I have chatted with in past week and she said they had their 1st cruise ship yesterday. 

I am truly amazed at that - PEI is a real mess.  Their premier said it would take months to recover.  Frankly, I’d rather be going to Saguenay than PEI right now with the mess it’s in.  JMO though.

• Like 3

The Port Charlottetown website and social media accounts all say the port is closed to cruise ships through at least Friday. 

Agreed that I would be fine with other ports at this point. I know HAL can’t predict everything but some clear communication about what they intend to do would be appreciated as we approach departure. 

I am speaking with them again this morning and will let you know anything I find out. 

• Like 1

Just put your mind at ease, we had a cruise ship today!!!

See you on the 6th!!

Erin 

Tourism Prince Edward Island
1-800-463-4PEI

This is what she wrote to me so I don’t know what the story is. I do like a sure thing and like you would prefer to go somewhere where things are all functioning. We shall see and looking forward to your next post.  I see dress is smart casual whole trip so just put away the dressier outfit and my husband’s blazer (maybe the Spanx stay home too!😁)
  • Like 1

HAL couldn’t give me any new info this morning and told me to call back after their west coast offices had opened. However, my app is now showing Sydney and Charlottetown as port stops again, but with different call times. Clear as mud! 🙃 

The east coast of Canada is dealing with the aftermath of a hurricane for goodness sake!!    People have died, power is out, buildings are damaged, trees are down.   Even if you do dock,  it might not be safe to walk around the port or go on your previously planned excursion. Cancel your trip if you don't want more sea days.