Club Orange cabin upgrade

KAKcruiser

My understanding is that if you purchase Club Orange, they will upgrade you to the highest available cabin in that same category.  For example, if you book a VH they could upgrade you to a V.  Once you get that upgrade, can you change it again if a better cabin becomes available at a later date?

6 hours ago, KAKcruiser said:

My understanding is that if you purchase Club Orange, they will upgrade you to the highest available cabin in that same category.  For example, if you book a VH they could upgrade you to a V.  Once you get that upgrade, can you change it again if a better cabin becomes available at a later date?

My understanding is you will get upgraded within the V category. Not necessarily to the HIGHEST within the V category.

5 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

My understanding is you will get upgraded within the V category. Not necessarily to the HIGHEST within the V category.

The exact text taken from the Club Orange page is: "Complimentary stateroom upgrade to the best available room within the meta category at the time of Club Orange purchase." 

So, in this case that would be the highest available within the V category. 

7 hours ago, KAKcruiser said:

Once you get that upgrade, can you change it again if a better cabin becomes available at a later date?

First of all, I have no experience with this myself but from the wording on the Club Orange page ("Complimentary stateroom upgrade to the best available room within the meta category at the time of Club Orange purchase.") I would say the answer to your question is: No. They look at what is available at the time you purchase Club Orange and you will be upgraded to that.

But...you never know, you could always try to contact them if a better stateroom becomes available.

Two tips: 

1) before you purchase Club Orange check out the cruise and see what the highest available stateroom is at that moment so you know to what they should upgrade your room to and

2) a stateroom may have a higher classification, but it may not be a real upgrade for you. If you have a quiet room in the middle of the ship you might not like an upgrade to a room just below a music venue or the lido deck. Again, look at the available staterooms at the moment you purchase Club Orange and decide for yourself which roomnumber you would or would not like. 

3 hours ago, firsttimer1971 said:

2) a stateroom may have a higher classification, but it may not be a real upgrade for you. If you have a quiet room in the middle of the ship you might not like an upgrade to a room just below a music venue or the lido deck. Again, look at the available staterooms at the moment you purchase Club Orange and decide for yourself which roomnumber you would or would not like. 

This.

I just went through an upgrade. It was incredibly easy. Basically I purchased the lowest V (I think it was VH obstructed) and then chose the cabin I wanted. It wasn't the highest...I chose a VB because of location and larger balcony.

I'm not sure if they would let you change again, but the process was so easy I think there is a good chance you could. But the best advice was given by @firsttimer1971...see what is available before you book.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the advice.  The highest available cabin on the deck I wanted is a VA. However, I really wanted a specific V cabin which is not available.  But, you never know.  People cancel.  Of course, the VA is still a great cabin and I'm sure I'd be happy with it.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, alyssamma said:

This.

I just went through an upgrade. It was incredibly easy. Basically I purchased the lowest V (I think it was VH obstructed) and then chose the cabin I wanted. It wasn't the highest...I chose a VB because of location and larger balcony.

I'm not sure if they would let you change again, but the process was so easy I think there is a good chance you could. But the best advice was given by @firsttimer1971...see what is available before you book.

I just ask my PCC if I could do this exact type of upgrade with Club Orange (VH to VB) but she told me “no” that it was only a one category upgrade. (VB was available). 🤔
Glad you were able to get it. Enjoy.

50 minutes ago, moomsh said:

I just ask my PCC if I could do this exact type of upgrade with Club Orange (VH to VB) but she told me “no” that it was only a one category upgrade. (VB was available). 🤔

You CAN go from VH to VB.  A PCC should know that.  Tell her to ask her supervisor.  You can move up in the same “meta” category.   You can pay for the cheapest veranda and go as high as the most expensive veranda.  You can’t go to a veranda suite as that is another “meta” category.

Edited by oaktreerb
why is this hidden?
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, moomsh said:

The PCC was absolutely wrong.  Club Orange purchase, by HAL definition, permits "Complimentary stateroom upgrade to the best available room within the meta category at the time of Club Orange purchase". 

We bought Club Orange, had the agent temporarily book a VH and then had him upgrade us to a specific V-category cabin...no pushback, upgraded us right away.  I assume we could have upgraded to to a VQ Spa Balcony cabin but we didn't want to due to their shallower balconies.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, moomsh said:

Your PCC was wrong...get someone else. The T&C clearly state this is how it is supposed to work.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, oaktreerb said:

You CAN go from VH to VB.  A PCC should know that.  Tell her to ask her supervisor.  You can move up in the same “meta” category.   You can pay for the cheapest veranda and go as high as the most expensive veranda.  You can’t go to a veranda suite as that is another “meta” category.

Exactly.  When I used a pcc she told me I could only get another vh.  I mean that doesn’t even make sense.  I got that straightened out quick.  There should be no problem whatsoever as long as the cabin category is available.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, SusieKIslandGirl said:

Another thing to consider is whether there is availability to upgrade. I called to ask about adding Club Orange to our Alaska cruise for Sept. 2023 and it wasn't available. The person suggested that I call back in a few months to see if anything had opened.

That is crazy this far ahead.

I was able to go from a Guaranteed Oceanview Category F cabin (Deck 1 Aft) to an Oceanview Category CQ cabin (Deck 10 Forward-10003) on my next cruise.  From what I could tell about their cabin categories (via Cruise Deck Plans), I was able to go from the lowest to highest category cabin within the Oceanview Category.  Definitely worth the $25 pp/day for me as a solo cruiser.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Euby said:

I was able to go from a Guaranteed Oceanview Category F cabin (Deck 1 Aft) to an Oceanview Category CQ cabin (Deck 10 Forward-10003) on my next cruise.  From what I could tell about their cabin categories (via Cruise Deck Plans), I was able to go from the lowest to highest category cabin within the Oceanview Category.  Definitely worth the $25 pp/day for me as a solo cruiser.

That exactly the way it should work.  It’s too bad that Holland America’s own people and a few here are not sure how it should work.

Thank you all.. I recontacted my PCC and she checked and I should have been able to book the Ava and go to the VB. But she said it wasn’t available. Checked with ship services and they said it was. Trying to get her to do something about it now. Waiting for response. Fingers crossed!

• Like 1

On 9/29/2022 at 11:07 AM, Oceanwench said:

We moved up via Club Orange from a verandah cabin (don't remember category) to an aft-facing verandah for our TA next spring.
Very easy to do, and we are thrilled!

We moved from an obstructed veranda(lowest) also to an aft facing balcony(highest)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hobby3333 said:

We are sailing on the Rodderdam September 2023.  I really don’t care about the possibility of an up grade for our cabin.  We are wondering if it is worth the extra money to have Club Orange for the other benefits.

At least you get a separate dining area, which I personally enjoyed.  However, not sure I would pay $25 a day per person just for that (plus a couple of other minor perks).

18 minutes ago, DaveOKC said:

At least you get a separate dining area, which I personally enjoyed.  However, not sure I would pay $25 a day per person just for that (plus a couple of other minor perks).

Agree.  I think most of the value is with the upgrade.  I like the small dining area but I don’t know if that’s worth the $25 per day.