NCL Preparing to Permit Downclass Pax to Bid on Upgrades?

MotownVoice

Someone noted that when they attempted to make a bid on an updgrade using the NCL App, the confirmation number field would only accept 6 digits.  Apparently some of us have 8 digit cruise confirmation numbers, which would lead one to believe that the number of digits is one way NCL separates different classes of purchase for such things.

Well this morning, I noticed that the app is once again accepting all 8 digits of my confirmation number (regular balcony, first time NCL customer).

I wonder if this is a signal that upgrade bids will once again be offered to us lowly middle class passengers.

All booking numbers have 8 digits. A few months ago it was still in 49xxxxxx, recently the latest bookings are already in 50xxxxxx

I seriously don't think there will be any 6-digit booking number now, unless you booked a cruise 30 years ago and keep rescheduling it every year until now 😂

19 hours ago, MotownVoice said:

I wonder if this is a signal that upgrade bids will once again be offered to us lowly middle class passengers.

I've been offered upgrades having originally booked inside, balcony, and club balcony.  That's the point:  If they can get a couple hundred bucks by upgrading inside pax to an oceanview, that's money in the company's pocket.

Pre-covid, every class but a Studio were able to upbid as long as they did not use a non participating TA. Since the restart even Studios can upbid with the same exception. I have found that it is usually cheaper to pay outright a few weeks before sailing than winning a bid.

• Like 1

This year, NCL tweaked their outsourced bidding system to take upgrade, not just at the 2 days or 48 hours cutoff to reject low bids, and will do a on-the-spot upgrade at pier check-in, re-issued key cards. Actually, some folks and that includes one of our nieces that went to Guest Services & negotiated an upgrade, picked & asked for deck 15 and only agreed to pay after being shown the balcony first. 

No, IMHO, downclass passengers did quite well lately in "let's make a deal".

YMMV

As a matter of fact, on the mobile Norwegian app, there is an option to upgrade the stateroom - not yet functional on our recent cruise 2 weeks ago 🤫

Edited by mking8288

I'm a low class, err I mean downclass, commoner.  I usually book inside, through a TA affiliated with TD bank's travel visa card.  This TA does participate in the upgrade process and I do get email telling us we can upgrade.

I've bid on the last 2 cruises, not successful on the 2021/Dec Getaway transatlantic sailing (with just over 50% occupancy), and was successful on the 2022/March first sailing of the Jewel since the pandemic.  Both times bidding for balcony (not interested in upgrading just to oceanview)

• Haha 2

34 minutes ago, KeithJenner said:

I wouldn't worry anyway. Cruisecritic doesn't like people recommending TA's and things like that.

Just mentioning the name of the agent you used in passing is unlikely to cause a problem. 

This is incorrect.  You are not allowed to mention, hint at – or even describe the shape of the building! – of a Travel Agent or Agency.

21 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

What is a "downclass pax?"

I'm a downclass passenger.  I can't afford to fly First Class on planes, or stay top class on cruises.

I usually book insides, and feel pampered on cruises.  I'm content if we are not successful in our bids for upgrades.  We'll still enjoy our cruises.

53 minutes ago, nferr said:

Just don't get trapped on the lower decks if you hit an iceberg......

Lower decks may get to lifeboats faster though.  If the boat flips over, the higher decks will hit the water harder.  But my cruiseships won't hit an iceberg.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We had bids in, but yesterday my husband called and was able to upgrade us from an inside to a balcony for $200, on our Oct 16th sailing. We felt this was a good deal and are pretty excited about it as its our very first non inside room.  It was less than any of our bids as well.

Edited by jennygirlmt
  • Like 2

52 minutes ago, Middleager said:

I'm a downclass passenger.  I can't afford to fly First Class on planes, or stay top class on cruises.

Lower decks may get to lifeboats faster though.  If the boat flips over, the higher decks will hit the water harder.  But my cruiseships won't hit an iceberg.

I can afford it but I'm not high maintenance so it would be a waste of money.  All I need is a good book and a drink package so why pay double or triple for more? 

We were on RCI recently and I noticed that our muster station was 2 decks below the lifeboats.  Just to save time arguing in a critical moment, I told my husband that there is no way I am going any lower than the lifeboats.  AND our next cruise is the Sun's transatlantic, which did hit an iceberg a few months back.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, jennygirlmt said:

We had bids in, but yesterday my husband called and was able to upgrade us from an inside to a balcony for $200, on our Oct 16th sailing. We felt this was a good deal and are pretty excited about it as its our very first non inside room.  It was less than any of our bids as well.

Hmm....once in a balcony cabin, it's hard to go back. I was in an inside ONCE...and never returned. LOL 

15 minutes ago, uneamie said:

Hmm....once in a balcony cabin, it's hard to go back. I was in an inside ONCE...and never returned. LOL 

I go back and forth all the time on category.  Depends mostly on the itinerary.  In warm weather balconies are a perk but in cold weather they can be useless.  I also like the "cozy cocoon" feeling of an inside, especially for sleeping in northern latitudes where the sun shines 24/7.  I suspect it depends on where you live.  We live on the coast so I'm not going to pay just to look at the sea.  Water is water all over the world - ask anyone who has been in the Navy.  BUT, I do understand that some people have an affinity for the ocean and really enjoy it.  I book a balcony if there is something special to see - Alaska, Norwegian fjords, Hawaii, etc.  Those are places where the scenery is non-stop and you can enjoy sitting on your balcony in your jammies eating breakfast.  Definitely worth it then but it can be a waste on some itineraries - double the money for the same cruise is not always good value.  

2 hours ago, Travelling2Some said:

I go back and forth all the time on category.  Depends mostly on the itinerary.  In warm weather balconies are a perk but in cold weather they can be useless.  I also like the "cozy cocoon" feeling of an inside, especially for sleeping in northern latitudes where the sun shines 24/7.  I suspect it depends on where you live.  We live on the coast so I'm not going to pay just to look at the sea.  Water is water all over the world - ask anyone who has been in the Navy.  BUT, I do understand that some people have an affinity for the ocean and really enjoy it.  I book a balcony if there is something special to see - Alaska, Norwegian fjords, Hawaii, etc.  Those are places where the scenery is non-stop and you can enjoy sitting on your balcony in your jammies eating breakfast.  Definitely worth it then but it can be a waste on some itineraries - double the money for the same cruise is not always good value.  

I understand....we both are claustrophobic and do not like rooms with no window. That said, even if it's cold we still enjoy a balcony. We do not live by the sea so it's a treat for us when we can make it to the beach.  

On 10/4/2022 at 6:21 PM, uneamie said:

Haha. My Dad said the same! We've only cruised when it was a gift from MIL, and when she was buying 4-6 rooms, she always got insides. Obviously we weren't complaining 🙂 But after this I'm sure we'll never go back to an inside, lol!

• Like 1