Vaccination Card Question

mek

My husband and I are both getting our 3rd booster on Tuesday - sailing on 10/15.  We plan to take our physical card with us but as a backup is a picture of the cards saved on my phone acceptable?

Edited by mek

If you're on a cruise of less than 10 days out of the US and not going to Bermuda, they won't even look at the card.  You will be asked if you are fully vaccinated (meaning two dose of Moderna/Pfizer or one dose of J&J) and if you answer yes, that's it - you're on the ship.  Boosters and vaccine cards are not needed on these cruises.

12 minutes ago, rudeney said:

If you're on a cruise of less than 10 days out of the US and not going to Bermuda, they won't even look at the card.  You will be asked if you are fully vaccinated (meaning two dose of Moderna/Pfizer or one dose of J&J) and if you answer yes, that's it - you're on the ship.  Boosters and vaccine cards are not needed on these cruises.

Apparently it varies because we have been asked to show ours many times. This is out of Fort Lauderdale. Which port do you usually cruise from where they don’t ask?

Just now, ReneeFLL said:

Apparently it varies because we have been asked to show ours many times. This is out of Fort Lauderdale. Which port do you usually cruise from where they don’t ask?

I have not cruised since the recent changes but I follow many of the roll calls and other "groups". Since the Sept. 9th change (I think that was the date) where all passengers are welcome regardless of vaccine status, everyone reports that they just ask about whether they are vaccinated or not.  In fact, RCCL even states it this way:

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/do-i-need-a-covid-vaccine-to-cruise-what-counts-as-proof#north-america

For Cruises Departing From U.S. (including San Juan, Puerto Rico) and Canada Homeports

COVID-19 vaccination is not required for sailings departing from U.S. home ports, as long as they do not visit Bermuda.

Royal Caribbean still strongly recommends that guests are fully vaccinated, if eligible, with the final dose administered at least 14 days before sailing.

For these sailings, documentation of vaccination is not required to board, but we will ask that you disclose your vaccination status prior to boarding (via the Royal Caribbean app, on our website, or at the terminal). We recommend you bring your vaccination documentation with you, as local authorities or businesses in some destinations may request to see it for entrance. Guests who are not fully vaccinated will need to bring a negative test result for any COVID-19 test taken within the 3 days before boarding day.

1 minute ago, mek said:

I guess I just want to be prepared in case someone does ask.  I don't take anything for granted anymore.  LOL

I'm taking mine anyhow and will show it if asked, but I don't anticipate that will be the case, even for Canada since as of today, they ended all of their COVID-related restrictions.

9 hours ago, rudeney said:

I have not cruised since the recent changes but I follow many of the roll calls and other "groups". Since the Sept. 9th change (I think that was the date) where all passengers are welcome regardless of vaccine status, everyone reports that they just ask about whether they are vaccinated or not.  In fact, RCCL even states it this way:

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/do-i-need-a-covid-vaccine-to-cruise-what-counts-as-proof#north-america

For Cruises Departing From U.S. (including San Juan, Puerto Rico) and Canada Homeports

COVID-19 vaccination is not required for sailings departing from U.S. home ports, as long as they do not visit Bermuda.

Royal Caribbean still strongly recommends that guests are fully vaccinated, if eligible, with the final dose administered at least 14 days before sailing.

For these sailings, documentation of vaccination is not required to board, but we will ask that you disclose your vaccination status prior to boarding (via the Royal Caribbean app, on our website, or at the terminal). We recommend you bring your vaccination documentation with you, as local authorities or businesses in some destinations may request to see it for entrance. Guests who are not fully vaccinated will need to bring a negative test result for any COVID-19 test taken within the 3 days before boarding day.

Like you said those are the changes since September 9th. I have been on 22 cruises since the restart so I know what I’ve been asked. Also, since these are recent changes I’ll bet that not everyone has caught up yet. As they say Royal is known for their inconsistencies. We will continue to carry ours with our passport.

Edited by ReneeFLL
  • Like 3

Just now, ReneeFLL said:

Like you said those are the changes since September 9th. I have been on 22 cruises since the restart so I know what I’ve been asked.

My comments about not being asked for a vaccine card are based on the changes implemented Sept. 9th.  I am sure that before the, they were asking to see vaccines cards as they pretty much required passengers to be vaccinated.  Have you cruised since Sept 9th and been asked to show your vaccine card?  

10 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

We cruised out of Galveston 3 times in September and they never asked to see our cards either.  They just asked if we were vaccinated and boosted.

2 hours ago, rudeney said:

My comments about not being asked for a vaccine card are based on the changes implemented Sept. 9th.  I am sure that before the, they were asking to see vaccines cards as they pretty much required passengers to be vaccinated.  Have you cruised since Sept 9th and been asked to show your vaccine card?  

Yes and was asked.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

Like you said those are the changes since September 9th. I have been on 22 cruises since the restart so I know what I’ve been asked. Also, since these are recent changes I’ll bet that not everyone has caught up yet. As they say Royal is known for their inconsistencies. We will continue to carry ours with our passport.

They didn’t ask for ours at San Pedro (LA) but I had it just in case. 

Regardless of the official rules for the cruise, execution is up to the individuals at your terminal -- and that's not predictable.  When we boarded Explorer the first week of September, testing was still required, yet no one looked at our tests or our vaxx cards.  

Still, I wouldn't have dared to travel without them -- they were required (at that point), and I would have hated to be refused boarding for something 100% under my control.  Plus, we carry all our travel docs in a small Travel Wallet -- so two cards are no extra effort.  

I don't pack a whole lot for a cruise, but I don't skimp on documents or medicines.  Short on shirts?  I can wash one in the sink?  Forgot my earrings?  No one's going to notice.  But missing documents?  We might not be sailing -- I'm not taking chances on who might ask for what.  

Edited by Mum2Mercury
  • Like 1

Boarded Voyager out of Boston this morning.   Absolutely ZERO COVID questions boarding.   It was not mentioned.   No one was asking about vaccines,  health, nothing.  Passport and SeaPass is all we needed. 

On 9/30/2022 at 10:35 PM, mek said:

My husband and I are both getting our 3rd booster on Tuesday - sailing on 10/15.  We plan to take our physical card with us but as a backup is a picture of the cards saved on my phone acceptable?

I'm not sure if this is a question, or to start a brand new covid/vaccine discussion.  If you are bringing your cards and I would assume tucked into your passport, than why are you asking about a back-up to it?  The only back-up is a photo.  

• Like 1

On 10/2/2022 at 11:19 PM, rudeney said:

Boarded Voyager out of Boston this morning.   Absolutely ZERO COVID questions boarding.   It was not mentioned.   No one was asking about vaccines,  health, nothing.  Passport and SeaPass is all we needed. 

Hi.

did you have to show a negative covid test or is that required now ?

On 9/30/2022 at 10:35 PM, mek said:

When needed I’ve always used a digital copy in the wallet of my iPhone and have had no issues.  We do always have a hard copy as well but have never needed.