Favorite cocktail on Cunard

alc13

We are now a week and a half out from boarding QM2 for a 2-day cruise, and I can't wait.  Our time on board is short, so we don't have time to sample through the cocktail menus.  What do others especially like?  Mr ALC usually goes for  martinis and manhattans; my favorite is a negroni.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, alc13 said:

We are now a week and a half out from boarding QM2 for a 2-day cruise, and I can't wait.  Our time on board is short, so we don't have time to sample through the cocktail menus.  What do others especially like?  Mr ALC usually goes for  martinis and manhattans; my favorite is a negroni.  

A Negroni is my favourite cocktail and I’m looking forward to tasting one or two on the QV! Look forward to your review.

While not a cocktail, Mrs. sfred and I both like a nice port in QM2's Carinthia port bar in the evenings.  A few years back, we were on a TA that featured RADA, and several evenings they did a "bedtime story" reading.  Accompanied by port, it was a most pleasant way to finish the day.

The Manhattan is my go to drink and the one's they make in the Commodore Club are the best I've ever had. Typically I will request it be made with Jack Daniels and they always use the proper Luxardo cherry. Dee is a Cosmo girl but rates their's as OK but nothing special.

Jack

1994982252_ScreenShot2022-10-03at7_35_28PM.thumb.png.85c2d0e6d684700d4d380b50aea954ba.png

Ramos Gin Fizz

• 2 ounces gin

• 1/4 ounce simple syrup

• 1/2 ounce heavy cream

• 1/2 ounce lemon juice, freshly squeezed

• 1/2 ounce lime juice, freshly squeezed

• 3 dashes orange flower water

• 1 fresh egg white

• Club soda, chilled, to top

Edited by Se1lad
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, alc13 said:

Cocktails

On Cunard = Cancer & Long Island Iced Tea (no cola)

In Barbados = Rum Sour - No Eggs, no fruit, no fizzy water with an overproof (big) lid

In Jamaica = Port Royal

At home - a Last Word - Equal parts Tanqueray Ten gin, Green Chartreuse, Maraschino liqueur and Lime juice

At the Savoy Grill -  a Bijou - Equal parts Beefeater gin, Lillet Rouge and Green Chartreuse

On a Celebrity Cruise -  a Paper Plane - Equal parts Woodford reserve bourbon,  Aperol, Amaro Nonino Quintessentia and lemon juice

On a Cunard Cruise ......... I will have to wait to tell you next week when we board Queen Victoria for the first time 😎

Edited by groryjm

It’s taken me a while to find the list of ingredients but my favourite Cunard cocktail is the Commodore’s Cure: Pol Roger Cuvee Sir Winston Churchill,  Plymouth Gin, Crème a la Fraise des Bois, lemon juice and sugar syrup.  As far as I am aware, it is only available from the Commodore Club, from the menu of cocktails especially created to honour the Cunard commodores who received knighthoods. It also always used to be the most expensive, I think - not that the price stopped me from consuming a couple before dinner!! 

I also like almost all the Cunard “sparklers” - hibiscus wild royale, black Bellini, peach Bellini, kir royale etc etc. 😉🥂

Glad to see it has only had a slight price rise! 😊 Thank you @Host Hattie - the last time I had one was November 2019 and I couldn’t remember which commodore the cure was named for. Looking forward to the next one some time in 2023 hopefully. 😀

• Like 1

On 10/3/2022 at 4:35 PM, alc13 said:

You can always decide before you sail - Commodore Club Menu

Commodore _Club.pdf

Jane's favourite is a Cosmopolitan or a QEII or a Ginger Cosmo or a Dark and Stormy or a Breakfast Martini or a Moscow Mule deluxe ........ you get the idea

Edited by rakkor
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

If you're a cocktail fan, I strongly recommend the cocktail tasting in the Commodore Club on QM2, if it's offered on your voyage.  For me, it was a highlight of a recent (Aug/Sep) crossing.  Basically you get to taste all 7 of the "signature" Commodore cocktails -- thankfully they make smaller versions of each one for you, otherwise it'd be a looooong afternoon! -- while they talk about them, explain how they're made, etc. (At least when I did it, they also made one full-size version of each cocktail to show the presentation -- and gave these away to us at the end, too.)  They also gave us a little pamphlet with all the recipes in it. Anyway, ask the day you board if they are doing this; it fills up (I only got in because someone else had cancelled).  I think it was about 45 USD per person.

As for your Q: among the signature cocktails, my favourite was probably the "Yorkshire pacesetter," but it's not for everyone.  (The main ingredients are Martell Cordon Bleu XO cognac, King's ginger liqueur, Black Treacle syrup, served on the rocks like an Old Fashioned.)  The ginger and the treacle are both really unusual twists that lifted the drink.  But all the signatures are interesting, and the presentations of some of them are impressive (domes full of smoke, blow-torches, that sort of thing).  Among the more standard cocktails, my go-tos are an Aviation or a Corpse Reviver #2, though be warned that in the CC by default they make their Aviation with a little more Creme de Violette than I like.  Happy drinking!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, space oddity said:

If you're a cocktail fan, I strongly recommend the cocktail tasting in the Commodore Club on QM2

I'll second Space Oddity's endorsement of the Commodores cocktail class and tasting. It was very entertaining and great fun. I'm glad to see that it has returned. (When the seats at the bars were closed it wasn't being offered.)

I am completely ignorant regarding cocktails. I am terrible ordering them. I’m reading all of your posts wondering, now what in the world is that? Thanks for posting about the class. I’ll see if I can work up the courage to give it a try.

@techteach - Hattie got there before me - thank you Hattie! I’d forgotten that it was the blackberry brandy which gives the black Bellini its name. Anyway, it’s highly recommended and because it’s made with Prosecco it’s also at the cheaper end of the sparkling cocktail range, which is just as well if you also like the Commodore’s Cure I mentioned in an earlier post! 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...