Has anyone recently been able to cancel or reschedule a cruise with less than 30 days to go?

uscgmom

My husband and I are booked on a 14 day transatlantic cruise in 3 weeks. Our adult son who lives with us is having some medical issues and we really don't feel comfortable leaving the country and him alone right now.  We have trip insurance, but the small print says the issue must be life threatening, which it is not. Has anyone recently been able to get a future cruise credit for a cruise that is less than 30 days? Does Celebrity absolutely stick to their cancellation policy?

Thank you.

36 minutes ago, uscgmom said:

My husband and I are booked on a 14 day transatlantic cruise in 3 weeks. Our adult son who lives with us is having some medical issues and we really don't feel comfortable leaving the country and him alone right now.  We have trip insurance, but the small print says the issue must be life threatening, which it is not. Has anyone recently been able to get a future cruise credit for a cruise that is less than 30 days? Does Celebrity absolutely stick to their cancellation policy?

Thank you.

Pretty much yes.  Given the situation they might reschedule.  As said as their resolutions department.   A CSRep cannot assist- way above their authority.

It might depend on the rules that were place at the time of booking. However you should ask your TA to check with Celebrity to see about a switch. I’ve done this with good results. Was going to ask for the same cruise since I initially could not schedule testing. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, uscgmom said:

Thank you.

Hopefully you'll have some luck. If you booked through a TA, I'd engage them to try and recoup something for you since under 30 days you'll potentially lose the full amount. If you booked directly, I'd try to politely bypass the frontline call center staff and have them connect you with a dept that may have the authority to make an exception. Best wishes that your son's medical issues get better soon.  

• Like 2

If I'm not mistaken even the Cruise with Cofidence window has closed.  I think you have made a good point that we should all consider when taking out travel insurance.   I don't think many of us look at all the possible things that can go wrong.   I've read of some policy with cancel for any reason but they are really expensive to cover the risk.

As other said -- call and try -  the worst they can say is no.   

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Orator said:

It might depend on the rules that were place at the time of booking. However you should ask your TA to check with Celebrity to see about a switch. I’ve done this with good results. Was going to ask for the same cruise since I initially could not schedule testing. 

Thank you. This was booked in 2020, rescheduled to 2021 and now 2022 all due to Covid. We also booked directly with Celebrity.

You don't by chance have Celebrity Cruise Care as your travel insurance.   While I don't recommend it for most people due to the low coverage limits it does have the advantage of providing 90% FCC in the event of canceling for an uncovered event such as this.

• Like 1

It’s worth a chance to ask.  I called to cancel a week out last week of February, 2020 (just before Covid and not Covid related) as my husband developed an issue precluding his ability to travel.  I had insurance thru my credit card and not with celebrity.  I was offered the option to move the sailing to April.  Didn’t think that he would be ready by then so cancelled.  Did get full refund from insurance thru my card.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wrk2cruise said:

You don't by chance have Celebrity Cruise Care as your travel insurance.   While I don't recommend it for most people due to the low coverage limits it does have the advantage of providing 90% FCC in the event of canceling for an uncovered event such as this.

No we have Allianz 😞