Lowest deck vs. middle deck

sharkster77

Context:  we are looking at tulip cruises for 2024---

When we sailed with Viking 3 yrs ago we booked a cabin in aquarium class.  We did notice that there was a bit of noise---water against the hull, maybe noticeable because we were sailing upstream against the current.  This caused sleep problems the first night or two.

My question is this---is there less noise in cabins on the middle level?  Another factor is that I could see out of the windows in aquarium class while dear wife could not, so she really wants a french balcony so she can see out.  As the numbers guy, I'm trying to justify that against a difference of $3K per couple.  I MIGHT be convinced if there is also less noise.

I won't consider the uppermost deck, as I don't want to deal with the guy for whom rules don't apply who HAS to run on the track at 5 AM!

In summary, I do know that french balcony is much more expensive, trying to find a way to both justify it in my mind AND keep the queen of the realm happy.

Thanks in advance to this awesome online community!

Edited by sharkster77

There is a reason why aquarium class cabins are less expensive than upper deck cabins, the upper deck cabins offer a better experience.  The lower deck cabins can be darker because of the smaller windows.  There is more noise.  Even if you are tall enough to look out of the windows, you are looking at the water surface.  I personally think the better experience is worth the added cost.

Unfortunately, with Viking, the french balcony cabins may be smaller than the ones on the lowest level.

Viking moved their corridors over so that those who are paying more for the full balcony have a bit larger room. Makes sense, why pay premium to have outdoor space but a smaller cabin. Just checked online, the standard stateroom that you sail in is about 150sq ft., the french balcony one is 135sq ft., and the full balcony one is 205sq ft.  I think the size would be my concern, as our Avalon cabin was 200sq ft., and we found no problems with 2 of us, but thinking 65sq ft taken away could make it a bit cramped.

We enjoyed our french balcony as we were able to open the windows, and, like your DW, I would be unable to see outside while sailing. I know for any special areas you are on the top deck or other public areas, but it was still nice when waiting in our room for breakfast or relaxing a bit to be able to see outside. 

• Like 3

Advice from DH for your future health and well-being go for the middle deck the higher you go the less noise and no potential falling out with the person heading for new knees. You keep in extremely well with your Queen of the realm and you’ll really enjoy a good nights sleep on your first couple of nights, win win to me.

• Like 1

Thanks all--we spent so little time in our cabin that having less light due to the smaller windows wasn't noticed.  150 sf is small to begin with, so losing 15 sf wouldn't be a bother to me since, as mentioned, we were only in there to sleep and change clothes.  Less noise would certainly be a plus (as long as I avoid the guy who HAS to run on the track at 5 AM--that would be my BIL for sure).

That being said, paying the extra $$$ to maintain domestic tranquility may be worth the cost.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, sharkster77 said:

Less noise would certainly be a plus 

We haven't been able to justify the cost of moving from aquarium rooms on our European river cruises, but would do so if they were more equitable. In Asia we have always been higher.

Another thing to consider is your location, have heard those cabins in the rear often suffer from engine noise (especially during the night cruising). 

Also avoid the cabin next to the gym if you can. We had this cabin on our last cruise and someone started their workout on the treadmill at 10 or 11 each night.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

If your wife is going to spend a lot of time in the cabin it might be worth it. But what really could she see? Also remember if the ship is docked tied together to another ship (drafting) your wife could only see the inside of another ship. lol. 

• Like 1

Dear wife has shifted her viewpoint---now she can't justify the $1500-$1700 per person upcharge for a french balcony.  She says we could do a lot of things with the $3K plus price difference.  Now she is leaning toward aquarium class--after the first night, we slept fine on our first cruise.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Canal archive said:

It’s the ladies prerogative, got to keep you gents on your toes! Although Brownie points to you as you did think of asking the question.

I am a fervent believer of the adage "Happy wife, happy life".  It just makes things easier.

Your wife has made a wise decision. We have always done the lower level cabins because of the huge price difference. On our last Viking cruise they spontaneously upgraded us to a veranda cabin on the second level. We enjoyed sitting on our little balcony the day we boarded but don’t think we ever went out there again. 5 of the 7 nights we were rafted to other ships and the curtains had to stay drawn. Had we booked that cabin ourselves it would almost have doubled the cost of our cruise. I’d much rather go on another cruise than have the fancier cabin. Some friends we were traveling with had a French balcony cabin and it seemed even smaller than the cabins on the lower level. And since there is no place to sit at all in those cabins except on the bed you can’t really relax in your cabin and enjoy the view if you want to remain upright. 

I have 2 suggestions for minimizing noise in lower level cabins. First those lovely foam ear plugs that cost about 50 cents a pair 😁. And second we have found that the cabins farther forward on the lower hallway are midship and don’t get as much noise. They are $50-100/pp more than at the back of that hallway but it is worth the small increase for us. 

• Thanks 1

On 10/14/2022 at 6:14 PM, mhb1757 said:

I have 2 suggestions for minimizing noise in lower level cabins. First those lovely foam ear plugs that cost about 50 cents a pair 😁. And second we have found that the cabins farther forward on the lower hallway are midship and don’t get as much noise. They are $50-100/pp more than at the back of that hallway but it is worth the small increase for us. 

Just make certain that you look at the deck plan. Some ship designs have passenger cabins towards the bow on the lowest passenger deck. Those cabins can be very noisy when the bow thrusters are used. 

1 hour ago, CPT Trips said:

Just make certain that you look at the deck plan. Some ship designs have passenger cabins towards the bow on the lowest passenger deck. Those cabins can be very noisy when the bow thrusters are used. 

Yes, I have been in one of those cabins. I think that the older Uniworld designs are the only ones that have cabins near the bow, but there might be others.

Woot-woot, sailing in 3 weeks on Danube with Vantage, booked aquarium class using Covid credits, and used the rest of the credit for a 3 night pre-cruise in Prague.

Just noticed we were upgraded to middle deck, with a French Balcony.  They have us a President's Club, so received this perk.  I thought we wouldn't find out until we boarded the ship, so this is a nice surprise.

• Like 3

On our two previous Vantage trips we had the FB; the upgrade isn't so steep with them that we can afford it.  On the 10+ day cruises, it is nice to have the big view out the full glass, and a private spot to relax.  

It was only on Viking we did aquarium.  My wife had to stand on bed to see out.  I do know that Viking aquarium is 150sq ft, and Vantage aquarium/FB is 165 sq ft, and that 15 extra sq ft really made a big difference.  The room design, with wall lockers on a different wall then Viking, seemed to work out better.

Having said that, I'd never turn down any deal to cruise, Aquarium or better.  The unpacking once is so sweet.  Flight in 19 days, 6 days to roam Czech Republic on our own, then Prague.