LAX vs LGB?

ramja96

Looking at a cruise out of Los Angeles and trying to get an idea on airfare.  Which is better, LAX or Long Beach to fly into for a cruise out of Los Angeles?  Where is the cruise terminal? I haven't sailed out of LA since 2009 and it was out of Long Beach at that time.  Thanks in advance.

Me, too.  I much prefer LGB for the calmer, faster in and out, plus lighter traffic is a bonus, IMO.  I prefer the hotel choices in Long Beach, too.  Uber is $20 - $30 to the dock.

World Cruise Center is 100 Swinford St in San Pedro.

Booking from OAK to LAX or LGB  2 months out is the same price for the lowest fare of $69 one way.

We always flew into LAX. Last Nov. we thought we would try LGB, same price as LAX, but we had a connection instead of a non-stop flight. After that trip we decided LGB was worth the extra connection. As others have said, not so much traffic, smaller airport and easy for rental cars as they are right there.

• Like 1

Long Beach hands down if the price is right! If it's a lot more, then stick to LAX. Long Beach airport is small and check in is quick, awesome place to fly out of! We use LGB when flying to Florida or NY.

Terminal for Royal is San Pedro, close to both airports. Carnival is out of Long Beach Terminal.

• Like 1

We normally fly Delta but there times and cost were crazy high to both airports.  Decided to try for a better deal with Southwest for Long Beach.  They were having a great sale awhile back and grab 2 tickets for $49.00 each one way.  We will fly home for New Orleans on Delta as I was able to grab cheap flights one night when I was up in the middle of the night. lol  We have not done Long Beach before but everyone says it is great and only 15 minutes to the hotel.  I did read somewhere that the taxi fare is pre sent at $45.00 so we will see.

Long Beach may be easier in some ways, but think about what happens if your flight gets canceled.  There are few alternatives available to most markets.   I will always take the larger airport just in case, especially in the current climate.   I really have no problems with LAX.   The shuttles to LAXit for Uber and Lyft are frequent and simple to catch outside baggage.    Small airports lack flexibility IMO.

33 minutes ago, 3yorkies said:

Long Beach may be easier in some ways, but think about what happens if your flight gets canceled.  There are few alternatives available to most markets.   I will always take the larger airport just in case, especially in the current climate.   I really have no problems with LAX.   The shuttles to LAXit for Uber and Lyft are frequent and simple to catch outside baggage.    Small airports lack flexibility IMO.

Flying at time when more flights available if needed and going into San Pedro day before cruise so hopefully we will be OK. 

5 hours ago, 3yorkies said:

Have you ever been to LGB? It is an awesome, small, uncrowded airport. Close to the port, and Southwest cancellations are rare, and there are other flights. If you are cruising out of San Pedro on Royal Caribbean, or Carnival out of Long Beach, I highly recommend LGB. 😀

• Like 1

Just be aware that the airport in Long Beach does not have jetways. You board and deplane via a ramp or stairs. Other than that, I would recommend Long Beach over LAX as so much easier to get a Lyft or Uber to any place you need to go. 

On 10/5/2022 at 3:38 PM, Mrbp1 said:

Just be aware that the airport in Long Beach does not have jetways. You board and deplane via a ramp or stairs. Other than that, I would recommend Long Beach over LAX as so much easier to get a Lyft or Uber to any place you need to go. 

Please tell me this isn't true of John Wayne Airport too!

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/20/2022 at 3:29 PM, scottca075 said:

As you can see, LGB is the overwhelming choice, and for good reason. LAX was recently named on someone's list as the Worst Airport in America. It is a well deserved 'honor'.

Just flew into LGB last week.  Took 5 minutes to get an Uber.  It was an XL and cost from airport to Crown Plaza was $30.00.  DH gave him a cash tip.  Ride took about 15 minutes at 1:30 pm.  All went well and look forward to doing again but will probably stay in Long Beach and Uber over to ship in the morning.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MTNestr said:

If we fly into LGB Airport a day or to early, should we book a hotel near the airport or the cruise port (Princess)?

I would stay in Downtown Long Beach. There are lots of good restaurants, shops, things to do, etc. You are 15 minutes from San Pedro.

https://goo.gl/maps/fLqBxvcWdw5CNVr38

• Like 1