Upgrade Bid Accepted --Is this a good cabin?

jennaja

We're sailing on the Royal Princess in a few weeks.  I paid for a category DD Deluxe Balcony cabin, and received an offer to bid for an upgrade.  My bid was accepted, and we are now assigned an MA Mini Suite #R407.

Is this a good upgrade?  Quiet?  Above or below something noisy?  Would the balcony have a shaded area?

I would have preferred a middle deck, middle/aft.  Not sure what to make of this "win".

Thoughts?

Please check Royal Princess III Riviera Deck Plans (cruisedeckplans.com).

Chose Royal Princess deck plans.

Go to Rivera deck.

There is a YouTube video of cabin R427 very similar to R407.

R407 is just forward of the mid ship elevators.

Riviera deck is below the Marina deck and above Aloha deck. 

Noise should not be a problem.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

R407, for the most part, is a great mid-ship location.   

It is on a higher deck, so convenient to run up two decks to the Buffet and everything up on Lido.   But, maybe more motion.   Being mid-ship should be less motion than a high deck that is forward.  Did that once.

It has the small balcony, close to the extended mid-ship larger angled bump out balconies.  But doesn't have that advantage.  What it does have is a location just beneath the SeaWalk.  So, privacy could be an issue.  There are many videos of the sea walk and how upper mid-ship balconies are visible to people who are on the sea walk.  There are also lights there that will shine some light on that balcony/stateroom as well.

That location, just the second deck down from SeaWalk might be the only drawback.

There should be no noise, as nothing but staterooms directly above and below.

NOTE:  I am thinking that once you have your upgrade to the new category, MA, you can do an easy switch to other MA category mini-suite that might still be available.

Edited by Wishing on a star
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, John99 said:

Please check Royal Princess III Riviera Deck Plans (cruisedeckplans.com).

Chose Royal Princess deck plans.

Go to Rivera deck.

There is a YouTube video of cabin R427 very similar to R407.

R407 is just forward of the mid ship elevators.

Riviera deck is below the Marina deck and above Aloha deck. 

Noise should not be a problem.

Thanks for the link!

13 minutes ago, Wishing on a star said:

R407, for the most part, is a great mid-ship location.   

It is on a higher deck, so convenient to run up two decks to the Buffet and everything up on Lido.   But, maybe more motion.   Being mid-ship should be less motion than a high deck that is forward.  Did that once.

It has the small balcony, close to the extended mid-ship larger angled bump out balconies.  But doesn't have that advantage.  What it does have is a location just beneath the SeaWalk.  So, privacy could be an issue.  There are many videos of the sea walk and how upper mid-ship balconies are visible to people who are on the sea walk.  There are also lights there that will shine some light on that balcony/stateroom as well.

That location, just the second deck down from SeaWalk might be the only drawback.

There should be no noise, as nothing but staterooms directly above and below.

NOTE:  I am thinking that once you have your upgrade to the new category, MA, you can do an easy switch to other MA category mini-suite that might still be available.

I was able to switch to another MA - C409, which is an angled balcony a few floors lower.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jennaja said:

$90 PP.  I have since been able to change to C409, which should have less motion.  It's also an angled balcony.

From deluxe balcony to mini suite for only $90/pp... VERY nicely done!

I would DEFINITELY take C409 with the angled balcony and lower deck. Have fun!

• Like 4

13 hours ago, jennaja said:

$90 PP.  I have since been able to change to C409, which should have less motion.  It's also an angled balcony.

The extended balcony cabins are quite nice.  We were in A409 on the Discovery in July and the bump-out makes all the difference in being able to move around on the balcony.  Nice upgrade!

• Like 2

14 hours ago, jennaja said:

I was able to switch to another MA - C409, which is an angled balcony a few floors lower.

C409 shows as a connecting cabin on Cruise Deckplans. Are you aware of that?

• Like 1

On 10/5/2022 at 10:24 AM, Sea Hag said:

C409 shows as a connecting cabin on Cruise Deckplans. Are you aware of that?

Yes.  I would have preferred that it wasn't a connecting cabin, but do like the location and angled balcony better than the original cabin.

• Like 1

On 10/5/2022 at 7:31 AM, voljeep said:

was $90 the minimum bid? - if so, good news that they are accepting minimums and people aren't overbidding

I don't remember, and already deleted the email.  If it wasn't the minimum bid, it was very close to the minimum.  I bid $60pp for the premium balcony, and that bid was rejected.

• Like 1

I always. roll up a towel and use it to block any gap under the adjoining door.   That does seem to help if it is done well.  Might be able to open the door on your side, and do a folded towel along that inside gap.  Especially if I felt any air moving thru there.    I would still be very happy with the cabin upgrade!

On 10/4/2022 at 2:46 PM, jennaja said:

We're sailing on the Royal Princess in a few weeks.  I paid for a category DD Deluxe Balcony cabin, and received an offer to bid for an upgrade.  My bid was accepted, and we are now assigned an MA Mini Suite #R407

When I made a bid, Princess told me that If I won a bid, Princess would email me “up to three days before the cruise.”  You were notified “a few weeks” before your cruise.  Congratulations on the fast response! I am jealous😀

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Mike45LC said:

When I made a bid, Princess told me that If I won a bid, Princess would email me “up to three days before the cruise.”  You were notified “a few weeks” before your cruise.  Congratulations on the fast response! I am jealous😀

I received the upgrade offer the day after I booked, and my bid was accepted 1 or 2 days later.  I didn't book the cruise until 15 days out from sailing though.

• Like 1

On 10/4/2022 at 4:46 PM, jennaja said:

We're sailing on the Royal Princess in a few weeks.  I paid for a category DD Deluxe Balcony cabin, and received an offer to bid for an upgrade.  My bid was accepted, and we are now assigned an MA Mini Suite #R407.

Is this a good upgrade?  Quiet?  Above or below something noisy?  Would the balcony have a shaded area?

I would have preferred a middle deck, middle/aft.  Not sure what to make of this "win".

Thoughts?

WE love the Riviera deck. I would say it was a good upgrade - but you didn't say how much you paid. 

• Like 1

On 10/4/2022 at 10:33 PM, jennaja said:

congratulations! that sounds like a great win to me! I'm still learning how Princess bids are handled. Is it $90 pp for the entire cruise, or $90pp per day?

We got our cabin assignment today. No free upgrade, just the exact category of our GTY booking.  So I added a mini suite bid to our other bid categories but only offered the minimum  we are happy with our D4 but thought we’d try for a mini at minimal bid cost. There are mini suites open per their website. I will let you know how it goes. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, 1cruiselvr said:

We got our cabin assignment today. No free upgrade, just the exact category of our GTY booking.  So I added a mini suite bid to our other bid categories but only offered the minimum  we are happy with our D4 but thought we’d try for a mini at minimal bid cost. There are mini suites open per their website. I will let you know how it goes. 

we  bid  the  lowest bid available for  our  club class mini and our  bid  was  excepted.

Hope your  bid is, as  well.

• Like 1