Currency for tips?

mwf7501

If a generalization is possible for Italy -- Is tipping in US dollars disliked / acceptable / preferred?   I'm thinking here in particular for tour operators, bus drivers, hotel staff.   And I suppose even ship staff, even though most ship gratuities are included.

Thank you for any advice.

Edited by mwf7501

5 hours ago, blag said:

Why tip?* Gratuities are included.

*(Unless you like paying twice for the same service, or perhaps you think that tipping will give you better/preferential service)

A somewhat harsh response to the OP as, in the main they were asking about tips to locals, in particular Italy and recognised that gratuities included for ship crew (although not unjustified to tip extra to a member of crew for exceptional service) x

Definitely try and tip locals in Italy their own currency, (Euro). For any additional gratuity to Azamara Crew, dollars are good and  Euros are great if the Ship is in the area for a substantial amount of time and means they can spend it, without currency fees on their previous time off the ship x

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, tmacktravels said:

A somewhat harsh response to the OP as, in the main they were asking about tips to locals, in particular Italy and recognised that gratuities included for ship crew (although not unjustified to tip extra to a member of crew for exceptional service) x

Agreed!

But, as a long-term, and current, resident of Italy I can confirm that - in my experience -tipping is not the norm. Italians only tip if they have received exceptional service, and almost never if a service charge is included. (Why pay twice?).

Bus drivers, tour operators, and the like may expect tips from tourists, but will rarely receive tips from residents. Waiters in restaurants are an exception to this.

And tipping in Euros is, of course, preferable.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Zoey said:

I tip for room service. On a transatlantic from Europe to the US for the winter season do you think the crew might prefer tips in US dollars for use in Miami and most of the Caribbean? 

Crew can make purchases on board and of course the on board currency is the $US regardless of where in the world the ship happens to be at any given time.

As far as tipping on board, I’ll repeat what I said before on other boards.

Although, in theory, “gratuities are included,” the past two years have been HORRENDOUS for the staff and crew—and their families at home – of the AZAMARA Ships.  Most of us have fared better.  They are not, for us, like random folks at a local pub or restaurant:   they are almost like family members—some we’ve known for years, who routinely take excellent care of us.  Since the re-start, I’ve had NO problem dropping a few dollars/Euros at the bars, or leaving something extra for the waiters or stewards who take SUCH GOOD care of us.  We almost always do this in dollars, as that is the onboard currency.

• Like 6

15 hours ago, marinaro44 said:

Try doing an internet search on "tipping in Italy" (or whichever country you're visiting).

Apparently I didn't make myself clear. I asked if the crew traveling on the transatlantic from Lisbon to Miami in November who will spend four or five months on sailings between Miami and the Caribbean might prefer to be tipped in US dollars during the trip from Lisbon to Miami so they would have US dollars to spend when they go ashore in Miami or the Caribbean (which accepts US dollars) to do their shopping, etc. I know on the past cruises I've been on I always see crew members going into the local places near port to do shopping. 

13 hours ago, DS said:

As far as tipping on board, I’ll repeat what I said before on other boards.

Although, in theory, “gratuities are included,” the past two years have been HORRENDOUS for the staff and crew—and their families at home – of the AZAMARA Ships.  Most of us have fared better.  They are not, for us, like random folks at a local pub or restaurant:   they are almost like family members—some we’ve known for years, who routinely take excellent care of us.  Since the re-start, I’ve had NO problem dropping a few dollars/Euros at the bars, or leaving something extra for the waiters or stewards who take SUCH GOOD care of us.  We almost always do this in dollars, as that is the onboard currency.

I also want to make my appreciation known to the people I never see, the ones who wash the pots and pans, work in the laundry, etc., and help make our cruise a wonderful experience. They’ve also had a tough couple of years. So we make a contribution to the crew fund, so that everyone benefits.

• Like 11

37 minutes ago, lisiamc said:

I also want to make my appreciation known to the people I never see, the ones who wash the pots and pans, work in the laundry, etc., and help make our cruise a wonderful experience. They’ve also had a tough couple of years. So we make a contribution to the crew fund, so that everyone benefits.

Exactly our approach 

Any crew we do give extra to always in dollars they prefer that

Any onshore guide we chose to tip its in the currency of that country except in India and Vietnam where the dollar is king

• Like 3

On 10/5/2022 at 6:12 AM, blag said:

Why tip?* Gratuities are included.

*(Unless you like paying twice for the same service, or perhaps you think that tipping will give you better/preferential service)

Does a little generosity hurt anyone? Some prefer to tip a bit more, some not at all, who am I to judge?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I am an American and I resent tipping in any form, even if it is our cultural de rigueur here. In most restaurants in Italy, service is already added. On taxi's I usually add 10% to round up the final number. On Azamara, tips are already included and that INCLUDES your spa bills. We usually add $5 or local equivalent to tour guides IF they have done a great job.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I agree having lived in France. Service compris means exactly that. Loose change is the norm. On board in public areas sets a dangerous precedent. Over the years I have seen individuals trying to create a pecking order at the bar by flashing the cash. Usually backfires when fellow cruisers read them the riot act. On past Seabourne cruises I have seen restaurant and bar managers giving passengers a ticking off for overtly laying cash on the bar. What next, a bell.

As other posters have quoted, look after those who do the jobs we hate, starting with the vacuum toilet.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 10/5/2022 at 12:44 PM, mwf7501 said:

If a generalization is possible for Italy -- Is tipping in US dollars disliked / acceptable / preferred?   I'm thinking here in particular for tour operators, bus drivers, hotel staff.   And I suppose even ship staff, even though most ship gratuities are included.

Thank you for any advice.

Italy use the Euro as their currency.  Get some local currency out. ATMs are plentiful. Work it the other way. If I was an Italian.coming to the US I wouldn't give tips in Euros.  

I sometimes fel that Americans think the USD is a universally accepted currency. It's not. It's much more polite to have some local currency in your pocket. I witnessed an American arrive in a hotel in Athens last week and ask if the local shops would accept USD. The hotel said the same as me and directed him to a cashpont. 

Phil 

• Like 4

Well said

And remember if the guide or establishment do politely accept payment in a currency other than the currency of the country they will receive at least 10% less than you think due to the costs of exchange. 

On European cruises the Euro covers most if not all the cruise. Get some before you go, at an atm when you arrive or the atm on the ship (there are two one for dollars and one for euros on European cruises). 

(Note Croatia also moves to the Euro on 1 January 2023). 

• Like 1

Just now, uktog said:

Well said

And remember if the guide or establishment do politely accept payment in a currency other than the currency of the country they will receive at least 10% less than you think due to the costs of exchange. 

On European cruises the Euro covers most if not all the cruise. Get some before you go, at an atm when you arrive or the atm on the ship (there are two one for dollars and one for euros on European cruises). 

(Note Croatia also moves to the Euro on 1 January 2023). 

But note: on our recent 12-day Baltic cruise on Pursuit, the 'Euro' ATM never worked!

2 minutes ago, blag said:

But note: on our recent 12-day Baltic cruise on Pursuit, the 'Euro' ATM never worked!

I see the ships ATM as a backstop as it’s also most expensive. It was working fine on Journey recently. Another area that ships need to be more consistent and reliable in I agree 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, uktog said:

I see the ships ATM as a backstop as it’s also most expensive. It was working fine on Journey recently. Another area that ships need to be more consistent and reliable in I agree 

I added my comment so that people might be aware that they might not be able to rely on the onboard ATM's.

The USD ATM was working throughout the voyage!

I feel that Azamara is still very US-centric, despite the fact that on many cruises US citizens are a minority, and - on that particular Baltic cruise - were outnumbered by the Canadians.

• Like 2