The Fleet Report and Daily for Saturday October 8th, 2022

richwmn

My visit to Russia was limited to 2 days, 1 night aboard the Eurodam in St. Petersberg but the description of the security guard is a perfect description of several guards that were at the Hermitage. The ladies were seated about 30' apart throughout the entire museum. Every one looked alike with their black clothes, heavy shoes and permanent scowl. Glad we got to visit back is 2008 when it was basically safe. Thank you to all who posted photos of Vladovostok.

This wine of the day sounds wonderful but it is way over my pay grade. The meal today (the baked one) sounds so good and looks so easy that I printed it to try next time I have company for dinner. Yep, I do cook like maybe once in a blue moon. It just isn't worthwhile to try to cook for just 1 person.

@richwmnand @rafinmdand to the food and drink department for all that you do keeping this thread going.

Jane

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

I haven't been to Vladivostok; the only place in Russia that I've visited is St. Petersburg. A cruise that would have called at Petropavlosk last year was cancelled because the departure would have been from Yokohama and the cruise line didn't believe that Japan would allow tourism in time.

Caprese chicken would be OK with me, but I would never make it at home because my home cooking is kosher. How are naked fries different from all other fries? I'd like to try the wine and I might try the cocktail, once.

I try not to spread gossip, and the truth is that I get little opportunity because I'm usually the very last person to hear it anyway. Last night at the synagogue, someone seemed to think that I was seriously ill, and now I wonder what rumor about my health might be going around, not that I will ever know.

Once when I lived in a beach house on Long Island Sound, Connecticut Light & Power sent a crew to replace the line to my house in the middle of a gale. I thought they would wait until after the storm, but they said that the condition I reported, with power going out, coming back, going out again, etc., was dangerous.

918968501_inorout.thumb.jpg.1bb9d99ccf60e35cc7e3b06facf2a420.jpg

• Like 11
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, kochleffel said:

How are naked fries different from all other fries?

Naked fries are just as they come from the fryer.  As opposed to a special Dive-In sauce or "Smothered in Melty Cheese Sauce".

Roy

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

Thanks for all the information today and thanks for all the photos of Vladivostok, have not been to Russia, ........now never will.

@rafinmd Roy, you do a great job, with the Care and Celebration lists, a lot of information to keep up with.  Thank you.

It's a lovely sunny spring day, temperature about 19 C.

Local body elections have been held, our city is one of several that has a new Mayor.The ousted mayor says he is "devastated."

Bon Voyage to all dailyites who boarded BHB's today.

Best wishes to those on the Care list.

Will now head out for a walk on this lovely day.

Stay safe, take care everyone.

• Like 12

3 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Thanks for all the great photos and commentary on your Vladivostok visit.  Your description of the security guard woman in the store brings to mind our Alla tour guide in St. Petersburg.  The scowl, the heavy tie shoes and wool hose describe Marina to a T!  We thought she might be KGB!  On the other hand while in Vladivostok we saw a very good looking woman or two making their ways to work in the downpour.  The men in our group sure enjoyed the view!😠

Sandi, the guard I mentioned earlier reminded me of the Russian female character in Goldfinger. That's why I said she could have been from central casting.

35 minutes ago, kochleffel said:

I haven't been to Vladivostok; the only place in Russia that I've visited is St. Petersburg. A cruise that would have called at Petropavlosk last year was cancelled because the departure would have been from Yokohama and the cruise line didn't believe that Japan would allow tourism in time.

Caprese chicken would be OK with me, but I would never make it at home because my home cooking is kosher. How are naked fries different from all other fries? I'd like to try the wine and I might try the cocktail, once.

I try not to spread gossip, and the truth is that I get little opportunity because I'm usually the very last person to hear it anyway. Last night at the synagogue, someone seemed to think that I was seriously ill, and now I wonder what rumor about my health might be going around, not that I will ever know.

Once when I lived in a beach house on Long Island Sound, Connecticut Light & Power sent a crew to replace the line to my house in the middle of a gale. I thought they would wait until after the storm, but they said that the condition I reported, with power going out, coming back, going out again, etc., was dangerous.

918968501_inorout.thumb.jpg.1bb9d99ccf60e35cc7e3b06facf2a420.jpg

I loved the cat meme.  It reminded me of the cats we had years ago.

In 2002, when we were on the Volendam, we were the first cruise ship to call at Petropavlosk.  At that time there was one flight from Anchorage a week.  The Shore Ex manager had flown there the week before.  It was too rough to tender, but the ship needed to get the manager back on board.  Luckily, it calmed down enough by noon that we were able to go ashore.  It was a nice town to walk around.  We even took a local bus out to their market.  The town stationed students, who had studied English, around town as guides for us.  We really enjoyed our time there.

26 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Naked fries are just as they come from the fryer.  As opposed to a special Dive-In sauce or "Smothered in Melty Cheese Sauce".

Roy

Roy, I love the naked fries at the Dive-In.

3 hours ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Well, I read the posts and can now make some comments.

Thank you Rich for taking time from you vacation to post the Daily and Fleet report,  Hope you have a wonderful cruise with your fellow Dailyites.

I used to play tag as a child.  Like music, but never rode a motorcycle.

Do like the Emerson quote.

Roy, you have nothing to apologize for.  Thank you so much for the work you do every day to keep the cares and celebration lists in order.  If something was amiss today, i didn’t even notice.

Christine, thank you for the recipe.  As much as I like Caprese salad and chicken would be a welcome addition, I will have to skip it, because we will have to choose from the menu offered at the resort, Very good choices, I might add.

The wine is a bit above my budget.

Prayers for all on the cares list and Cheers for those celebrating, especially our Dailyites who are cruising out of Quebec today.

As I said previously, we had a wonderful day, and now it is raining.  

I leave you with three photos.

One of the plunge pool and the others of our cottage.

Have a great evening and God bless,

Terri

14406BC2-723C-465F-9DCC-058F0DC2BD61.jpeg

2AED3C44-35FA-4A00-B02F-6AA944017BF1.jpeg

67338B35-33C4-4A08-93A8-4A42BE44C296.jpeg

Terri, your cottage looks lovely and relaxing.  I can see why you both wanted to return there.

I went up to the mail box a little while ago to pick up a couple of packages.  It was still in the lower 80F, so I was surprised how cool it was.  I guess it's because of the north wind which is about 10mph.  It takes alittle longer to reach Texas, but fall is coming.

I have another story of linemen to the rescue, but it wasn't due to a disaster.  I had made my parents a Christmas tree skirt one year.  My father set the tree up and had it decorated when he discovered he hadn't put the tree skirt on first.  He told my mother he was just going to cut it from the edge to the center hole.  Well, my mother wouldn't hear of it, but since she had MS she could help get the skirt on if Daddy lifted the tree out of the holder.  Daddy worked in the home office of the electric utility, so he called dispatcher to see if any of the crews were free.  A couple linemen came out, lifted the tree out of thr base and put the skirt in place.  At that time, it was a company that was like a family that looked after each other, but that was before big companies took over many small companies.

Lenda

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

We are headed down south on Nieuw Amsterdam to go through Panama Canal.  Once again I’m reminded of how much I like the signature class ships.  Great dinner in PG and they had a lovely trio playing live music before dinner in Ocean Bar.  So glad to be onboard.   

• Like 16

11 hours ago, erewhon said:

@richwmn Rich, thanks for sharing your great views, what is the building in the foreground in the 4th photo?

On the right of the tracks is Ottawa University New building, old flat building and football field. On left of tracks are the Lee's Avenue Towers, condo rentals.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

12 hours ago, richwmn said:

I thought I would show y'all the view I had last night and this morning.

20221007_185546.thumb.jpg.102c216e43ca49f847aaa3fb3c66874d.jpg

20221007_185557.thumb.jpg.0fd89752e1e62fcc1a8e7a86f1a702cd.jpg

20221008_073219.thumb.jpg.e5a8598804a57dc089f51dbfd99c2168.jpg

20221008_073211.thumb.jpg.0b1414ea2589e91a2ae9f857422669b4.jpg

Enlarged picture, just past Lee's Ave apartments, Peace Tower on Parliament Hill and across canal Chateau Laurier.

20221009_091420.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

On 10/8/2022 at 7:20 AM, rafinmd said:

Thank you for the Saturday report Rich.  I'll pass on the motorcycle, salute Universal Music  and played touch tag about 70 years ago..  I love  the Emerson quote but have not been to Vladivostok.  The meal sounds nice although I'll wait a bit for @0106 to weigh in.  My alternative/complement is Naked Fries from Dive-In as served on MS Amsterdam October 8-9, 2017 (we crossed the International Dateline that day).

Not particularly proud of the lists today.  It was a late night last night (Baltimore Symphony) and I overslept today.  I would normally say Welcome Home @MISTER 67 but I'm not sure if he extended or has any power or water if he does head back home.

Today’s care list:

RIP Loretta Lynn 10/4/22
Horrific damage from Ian
Western wildfires
Tthose in Fiona’s wake
JazzyV car issues
Long term power outage for jimgev
From the rotation:
Cruisin Terri leak damage
Strength for luvteaching’s friend Karen after Wayne’s 9/3 death
Sandi’s neighbor Linda
Cruising-along niece awaiting a kidney

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

2 days to first BHB in Everglades
Nice Dailyite gathering in Quebec
Cruzin Terri in Barbados  to 10/17
2 Days fro MissG Oosterdam 10/10 to 10/22)
1 day for Oceansaway17 (Oasis OTS 10/9 to 10/16)
Bon Voyage  Cunnorl (Noordam 10/8 to 1/2/23)
Bon Voyage Cruising-Along(10/29), dfish, NextOne, Richwmn, Live4cruises,  SharoninAz (Nieuw Statendam 10/8 to 10/22)
1 days for HAL4NOW (Koningsdam 10/8 to 10/24)
Rowsby in Hawaii until 10/28
 LoveTheBeach (Adventure OTS  to 10/8), sailingdutchy (Oosterdam  to 10/10),   Gail&Marty (Rotterdam to 10/15),,  Dismomx5 (Rotterdam to 10/27) and  Horizon Chaser1957 (Zaandam 10/1 to 12/20; Zuiderdam 12/22 to 5/12) at sea
Staff Captain Sabine - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy, we returned yesterday after a super cruise with some of the best entertainment we’ve had on a ship. Food and service were also excellent.

Still a mess in Charlotte county, so much damage. Many stop lights missing which turns intersections into 4 way stops but there are so many idiots on the roads that some just fly right through without stopping, there have already been accidents with injuries. Power is on and they rescinded the boil water mandate yesterday. Publix is pretty well stocked but are out of some items. Some restaurants open and on a cash basis only.  No cable or internet, able to use cell phone on the data plan to access internet. I have no idea when this place will be back to normal and not sure if Sanibel and Ft. Myers Beach will ever be the same, who would want to rebuild at those 2 locations. Some good news, our golf course opens tomorrow but it’s missing a couple hundred trees which on some holes isn’t a bad thing, LOL.

Roy, 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 6

1 hour ago, MISTER 67 said:

Roy, 

I clicked on the box to read your comments and wanted to let you know I hope things will improve more and more everyday.  Unfortunately  it will take a long time to rebuild all the destroyed buildings.  We will keep you all in our prayers.🙏

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1