"Manhattan or Brooklyn" disembarkation, which is it?

Kitty Ellas Mom

I'm on the Caribbean Princess Canada /New England departing Sept 19, 2023 and the disembarkation is listed as "New York (Manhattan or Brooklyn)."  So, when can I find out if it is Manhattan or Brooklyn?  How does this work?   I want to be sure that the hotel I book for the night before is relatively near to the cruise port.   I'm sure this is a basic thing that cruisers know but it's my first cruise so I don't know.  Thanks for any info.  My plan is to take the Amtrak train into NYC the day before disembarkation.  It's a little early to book the hotel I have in mind and the Amtrak so I haven't made those plans yet but probably will in about a month, when that date comes available.

36 minutes ago, Kitty Ellas Mom said:

I'm on the Caribbean Princess Canada /New England departing Sept 19, 2023 and the disembarkation is listed as "New York (Manhattan or Brooklyn)."  So, when can I find out if it is Manhattan or Brooklyn?  How does this work?   I want to be sure that the hotel I book for the night before is relatively near to the cruise port.   I'm sure this is a basic thing that cruisers know but it's my first cruise so I don't know.  Thanks for any info.  My plan is to take the Amtrak train into NYC the day before disembarkation.  It's a little early to book the hotel I have in mind and the Amtrak so I haven't made those plans yet but probably will in about a month, when that date comes available.

Brooklyn.  Here’s the NY port information. Look up your cruise schedule.  As you can see this year it is Brooklyn.

https://nycruise.com/schedule/

Edited by PacnGoNow

54 minutes ago, Kitty Ellas Mom said:

First - any hotel you book, make sure that you can cancel the reservation within 24 to 48 hrs without penalty - just in case.

Second - when you make arrangements to go to the port - give the driver the address on a piece of paper so that he does not drive you around Brooklyn like our driver did.  

We stayed at the Brooklyn Sheraton -  paid $197 for one night - with tax $227 - cost to port after driving for 30 minutes - $35.00 - we could see the ship from our hotel room window.

I've done both, but the Manhattan one was so much better.  It was right there in NYC, walking distance to everything.  I think there was some problem at Brooklyn which is why we did the other one.

1 hour ago, claudia814 said:

Being that it would be in Brooklyn, which airport would you fly into? Thank you. 

we flew into La Guardia - $32.00 cab ride to hotel.

we flew home from JFK - used Princess transfer $39.00 each - 45 minute ride on bus, 20 minutes dropping people at different terminals.  Our flight was at 1:30 and we were through security and at our gate with an hour to wait.

If you are flying in the day of the cruise, ride from either airport would be around 45 minutes to one hour

Don't want to be picky, but your title and your question refer to disembarkation. That means leaving the ship. By your context, I think you mean embarkation, boarding the cruise. 

If it helps, every cruise I've started or ended in NYC has been in Brooklyn.

Jim

• Like 1

On 10/8/2022 at 9:41 AM, Kitty Ellas Mom said:

I wouldn't recommend staying in the part of Red Hook around the cruise port.  Get a hotel in lower Manhattan and take a cab to the port...most of those will be less than 5 miles from the port.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, dog said:

I have stayed at Marriott by Brooklyn Bridge. It was fine.

If one wants to do things in NY - I would stay in Manhattan. If the goal is to just sleep before the cruise, the Marriott near Brooklyn Bridge would be fine. I hate the location of the Brooklyn pier.

• Like 1

FWIW, our trip on the Enchanted a few weeks ago was also out of Brooklyn. As we got closer to sail date, the Travel Itinerary on the Personalizer finally began to show:

New York City (Manhattan or Brooklyn), New York

Brooklyn Cruise Terminal

72 Bowne Street

Brooklyn, NY 11231

www.nycruiseterminal.com

• Like 1

13 hours ago, malba2366 said:

I wouldn't recommend staying in the part of Red Hook around the cruise port.  Get a hotel in lower Manhattan and take a cab to the port...most of those will be less than 5 miles from the port.

If you stay in Manhattan, there is a ferry (NYFerry by Hornblower is the app to download to buy tickets/schedules) from the Wall Street/South Street Seaport area to a terminal right next (couple hundred yards at most) to the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal.  The ferry costs four bucks and runs roughly every half hour. 

If I were coming in on Amtrak to Penn Station, I'd think about getting a cab/Uber to the ferry terminal and then the ferry to the cruise port.

Edited by DCThunder

If you are simply looking for a hotel for the night, I would recommend hotels in Brooklyn, those in Carrol Gardens or Park Slope are fine, and significantly cheaper than Manhattan hotels.  Agreed that I would avoid Red Hook hotels, but even going to Dumbo or Downtown Brooklyn you are in  good areas and inexpensive (for NYC).

• Like 1