Current Covid Protocols - Paxlovid availability?

chamima

For recent cruisers. Has Celebrity changed it's Covid protocols to allow sick cruisers to remain in their own cabin? Also I haven't seen any mention of whether Paxlovid is available in the medical facility. Just trying to prepare for worst case scenario.

Thanks!

5 minutes ago, mfs2k said:

Good luck w Paxlovid. Everyone I know who took it, myself included, got rebound Covid. Although I wasn’t very sick so there’s that. 

My husband took it and didn't rebound but I think he took it either very close to the end of that 5 day window or maybe after. He didn't end up in the hospital (with some pre-existing conditions that might have led to that ) so something worked!

Edited by chamima
  • Like 3

So far no Paxlovid rebound for me- I finished the 5 day course Wed a.m.

Due to the risks involved in taking Paxlovid, I cannot imagine it being dispensed aboard. Before I was given a prescription, my medical records were thoroughly reviewed by my PCP's nurse. Due to my unique needs, my Paxlovid regimen was just 2 pills at a time and I had to discontinue my anti-cholesterol meds during the course.

• Like 1

Was on Summit for 3 cruises in Aug / September.   Quarantine was in original cabin if spouse negative they had a choice of staying in isolation or were given an inside cabin close to the original cabin until the infected one tested negative. 

Paxlovid was not available on the ship.   Those that I knew who tested positive were given Tylenol, Cough medicine and one was given an inhaler.  All tested negative around day 5 and were released but had to wear masks at all times outside their cabin.    They were permitted back in their dining area and Ocean View. 

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, canderson said:

As for Paxlovid, you'll need to bring your own.  Not dispensing from medical as yet.

40 minutes ago, TMLAalum said:

Due to the risks involved in taking Paxlovid, I cannot imagine it being dispensed aboard. 

19 minutes ago, cruisestitch said:

So far doctors on board do not dispense Paxlovid on Celebrity.

At least one CC member and Celebrity cruiser was able to get Paxlovid onboard.  This was in July.  You can read their story in this thread:

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Was on Summit for 3 cruises in Aug / September.   Quarantine was in original cabin if spouse negative they had a choice of staying in isolation or were given an inside cabin close to the original cabin until the infected one tested negative. 

Paxlovid was not available on the ship.   Those that I knew who tested positive were given Tylenol, Cough medicine and one was given an inhaler.  All tested negative around day 5 and were released but had to wear masks at all times outside their cabin.    They were permitted back in their dining area and Ocean View. 

Thanks Jim. Just clarifying that the negative spouse was given the choice to isolate in the original cabin with the sick spouse or move to an inside cabin and still be able to go about normal activities around the ship. Were they at least asked to mask? (Which I would do anyways)

We just got off the summit last week and end up having Covid the last five days. We quarantined in our cabin. They gave us a bag that contained cough drops NyQuil and a thermometer and fingertip pulse oximeter.

We are hoping to get a refund back soon for the five days in quarantine. I believe our cruise was the last cruise that offered the cruise with the confidence clause ?

40 minutes ago, bama4cruisin said:

A friend recently had Covid on another line.  She was prescribed Paxlovid in the Medical Center; the charge was $800.  She is submitting a claim to her insurance, but right now is out the $800

My husband got the "flu" on a cruise in Feb. 2020. (We still think it might have been Covid because the symptoms fit and he came home with Pneumonia). They gave him Tamiflu and an antibiotic which totaled almost $400. So I'm not surprised by $800 for Paxlovid. Thank goodness we have GeoBlue!!!!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, sdnich said:

We just got off the summit last week and end up having Covid the last five days. We quarantined in our cabin. They gave us a bag that contained cough drops NyQuil and a thermometer and fingertip pulse oximeter.

We are hoping to get a refund back soon for the five days in quarantine. I believe our cruise was the last cruise that offered the cruise with the confidence clause ?

Yes Cruise with Confidence is over now but that program was for voluntary cancellation.   The Covid Assistance Program is different and that is the policy that provides compensation for the days in isolation and a refund for the cruise if you test positive within the 10 days prior to your sailing.   This policy is in effect through April 30, 2023.

Covid-19 Assistance

Book any Celebrity Cruise that’s sailing between now and April 30, 2023, and you’ll have the following reassurance at no extra charge:

• 100% cruise fare refund for you, and your Traveling Party, if any of you tests positive for COVID-19 within 10 days prior to the cruise or at the boarding terminal.**
  • Pro-rated cruise fare refund for anyone who has their cruise cut short due to testing positive for COVID-19 or being suspected of having COVID-19 during the cruise.

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, wrk2cruise said:

Yes Cruise with Confidence is over now but that program was for voluntary cancellation.   The Covid Assistance Program is different and that is the policy that provides compensation for the days in isolation and a refund for the cruise if you test positive within the 10 days prior to your sailing.   This policy is in effect through April 30, 2023.

Covid-19 Assistance

Book any Celebrity Cruise that’s sailing between now and April 30, 2023, and you’ll have the following reassurance at no extra charge:

• 100% cruise fare refund for you, and your Traveling Party, if any of you tests positive for COVID-19 within 10 days prior to the cruise or at the boarding terminal.**
  • Pro-rated cruise fare refund for anyone who has their cruise cut short due to testing positive for COVID-19 or being suspected of having COVID-19 during the cruise.

Good to know ! I thought it ended on Sept 30

We are cruising a TA in several weeks. We are both in our 60's and I am immune-suppressed. I am bringing Paxlovid, antibiotic and steroids with me. per my family doc. Also a pulse-ox.

With Paxlovid you can get rebound but the chances of dying are extremely low. And that's what I want, NOT TO DIE.

If you have concerns contact your physician before you sail and go prepared

• Like 5

40 minutes ago, chamima said:

Thanks Jim. Just clarifying that the negative spouse was given the choice to isolate in the original cabin with the sick spouse or move to an inside cabin and still be able to go about normal activities around the ship. Were they at least asked to mask? (Which I would do anyways)

That's correct.    We know one couple that the husband stayed in the Sky Suite and the wife moved across the hall into an inside.   It was a bit more complicated as they were on a B2B and the second cruise they were in an Aqua Class so coordinating trying to get the husband shifted to the inside  so she could pack up the room and get stuff moved.    Their existing Sky was booked by a new passenger.

On the next cruise she took the Aqua Class room and he stayed in the inside until he tested negative then they were re-united in the new Aqua Class room. 

By the way he was a doctor with a number of underlying conditions and did not bring Paxlovid with him as he said he wasn't a candidate to use it.

I did give his wife some of my free tests so she could pre-test -  They were testing her daily and it was very anxiety provoking.

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I just came home from Hawaii cruise with X and have Covid-19. My doctor said treatment with OTC medicine and treat like a cold. She said too many of her patients are having rebound cases with Paxlovid. 
this is my fifth cruise in 11 months so I guess my luck has run out. 
feels worse than the common cold. 
At the end of our cruise we had to wear masks everywhere except when eating or drinking. I have 65 cruises and love cruising but I think I will wait a while before I cruise again and maybe on a smaller ship.

9 minutes ago, maggie.1008 said:

I just came home from Hawaii cruise with X and have Covid-19. My doctor said treatment with OTC medicine and treat like a cold. She said too many of her patients are having rebound cases with Paxlovid. 
At the end of our cruise we had to wear masks everywhere except when eating or drinking. I have 65 cruises and love cruising but I think I will wait a while before I cruise again and maybe on a smaller ship.

Cruise Critic needs to add this emoji!

CareEmoji.jpg

Edited by chamima
  • Like 1

My friend just came off of the Eclipse from YVR - HNL and her roommate got Covid. My friend was given the option of staying in the cabin or being moved to another cabin. They were in a balcony. My friend was moved to a balcony and remained there for the duration of the cruise. At least it wasn’t an inside.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chamima said:

Related question (that I should have asked in the first place). If you test positive on the first leg of a B2B  do they allow you to stay on the ship for the second leg?

I tested positive last week on the Equinox on the first leg of a B2B.  My positive test was 3 days before the end of the first cruise and I was not given the option of staying on for the B2B.  The Equinox has a Quarantine Concierge and coordinates all of the quarantine care and benefits.  In all honesty I was ready to get off the ship, it just wasn't fun at that point.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, maggie.1008 said:

Sorry to hear.   Our number was up at the end of our 4th cruise.   I really believe this omicron variant is going to get everyone with just the first 4 shots.   We just got the new Bivalent flu shot and hoping it will protect us on our December cruise.

News from friends in Australia are warning strongly to get the Flu shot also as the outbreak of Flu this season (just ending) has been much heavier than the past 4.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, bama4cruisin said:

A friend recently had Covid on another line.  She was prescribed Paxlovid in the Medical Center; the charge was $800.  She is submitting a claim to her insurance, but right now is out the $800

My husband and I tested positive on a cruise we returned from earlier this week. The "other" cruise line did dispense Paxlovid at $800 per passenger, but we both had extremely negative reactions: my husband was a zombie and stopped after 4 days; I tolerated only 1 day. We were quarantined on the ship and decided to return home 1 day earlier than planned. No fever or other symptoms. Based on our pre-cruise travel itinerary, we do not believe we contracted covid on the ship, but no one was wearing masks. We are also submitting a claim to our insurance company. I spoke twice with the cruise line and they confirmed that if our claim is denied, they will cover the costs. The first time I called post cruise the person I spoke with could not care less- he said that we were on our own and not due any reimbursement or future cruise credits. Hearing this, we cancelled a future cruise with them and booked a Celebrity trip instead.

• Thanks 1