Bidding

tigger54

Couldn't sleep and decided I would log into my account and price that same cruise and I got some interesting pricing. 

Inside- unavailable 

Ocean view-$99pp

Verandah-$49pp

Insomnia has me about to book another cruise...

10 hours ago, DaveOKC said:

Its a special promotion that ends today.  Not tied to my login (but the base rate is), it does show up when you move down to the final billing quote.  Its also on the first page of the HAL website.

image.png.d762359c23720d2125a5dcc722d44d14.png

Lesson learned....I need to look further. Thanks DaveOKC!

3 hours ago, Brentt_M said:

Couldn't sleep and decided I would log into my account and price that same cruise and I got some interesting pricing. 

Inside- unavailable 

Ocean view-$99pp

Verandah-$49pp

Insomnia has me about to book another cruise...

Book it!

Just now, rgoldstein86 said:

Is there an optimal time to try calling? My cruise departs November 20th. I have an inside cabin but would love an exterior or verandah for the right price. What gives me the best odds timing-wise?

I would call 4 weeks prior to get a feel for if the cruise is full or not and if nothing is offered be sure to call back 2 weeks prior and if it is really worth your while again at 1 week prior.   Sometimes cruises are full and there is nothing to do but simply by calling they usually will note your interest. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

I would call 4 weeks prior to get a feel for if the cruise is full or not and if nothing is offered be sure to call back 2 weeks prior and if it is really worth your while again at 1 week prior.   Sometimes cruises are full and there is nothing to do but simply by calling they usually will note your interest. 

That is basically what I do....For those of us that do not get the offers from out TA, 4 weeks out is what I've been told before that "we usually get the upgrade offer info".

We are departing 11/19 so I'll be dialing for upgrades in 6 days...LOL.

• Haha 1

I am sailing solo on the Koningsdam on 12/22/22 out of San Diego. I received a free ocean view cabin but I hope to receive an upsell offer for an obstructed Verandah. (I did not upgrade my cabin at time of booking because they wanted over $800.) When do folks think I should call?

17 minutes ago, ChinaShrek said:

I am sailing solo on the Koningsdam on 12/22/22 out of San Diego. I received a free ocean view cabin but I hope to receive an upsell offer for an obstructed Verandah. (I did not upgrade my cabin at time of booking because they wanted over $800.) When do folks think I should call?

If it were me....I'd call on 11/22 and then once a week for the next 3 weeks.  Then 3 - 5 days out. 

Edited by FlaMariner
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, ChinaShrek said:

See you onboard! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LBCABob said:

What is the latest you can call (after checking for available cabins first)?  The day before sailing?  The morning of sailing? 

If you wait too late they will tell you to talk to the customer service on the ship. I would think 72 hours is the absolute cutoff

• 2 weeks later...

Newbie here so apologies.........are you getting notified of these upgrade offers via email or postcard or phone?  

In the post above you mention talking to ship CS if you wait too late, does HAL really do onboard upgrade selling? I have mainly done RCL/ NCL and they really don't.

41 minutes ago, pghflyer said:

Newbie here so apologies.........are you getting notified of these upgrade offers via email or postcard or phone?  

In the post above you mention talking to ship CS if you wait too late, does HAL really do onboard upgrade selling? I have mainly done RCL/ NCL and they really don't.

This is my first time with HAL but I can tell you that I called the line out of the blue 29 days before my upcoming cruise and was given multiple offers. I never got an email or anything. If I was more patient maybe I would have, but I decided to just try my chances with the call and it worked out.

• Like 2

On 10/13/2022 at 5:48 PM, ChinaShrek said:

If the ship is not booked you should get an upsell offer.  I am on the same deal as you except with the Nieuw Statendam leaving on November 5.  I received an upsell offer yesterday.  I am staying put for now.  For a point of reference for a 7 day they offered me $149pp for an obstructed verandah.

On our last cruise on the NA, a couple we had dinner with one evening said they had booked a vista suite, and when they got on board they decided it was much too small, so they went to the front desk and upgraded to a Signature Suite.  I have no idea what the cost was, but I would imagine if there are rooms available, the ship would be happy with their money!

53 minutes ago, FlorenceItaly said:

If the ship is not booked you should get an upsell offer.  I am on the same deal as you except with the Nieuw Statendam leaving on November 5.  I received an upsell offer yesterday.  I am staying put for now.  For a point of reference for a 7 day they offered me $149pp for an obstructed verandah.

Interesting. I am worried about my cruise selling out. All interior and exterior cabins are sold out right now. I leave on December 22.

adding this to the mix.....

We are on the NS 11/18 7 night..booked inside guarantee.....just called the upsell area.....was quoted $299 pp for non-obstructed view (VF thru VQ)......

The upsell price is more than we paid for the cruise.....LOL.

No for now.  

2 minutes ago, FlaMariner said:

adding this to the mix.....

We are on the NS 11/18 7 night..booked inside guarantee.....just called the upsell area.....was quoted $299 pp for non-obstructed view (VF thru VQ)......

The upsell price is more than we paid for the cruise.....LOL.

No for now.  

Mine also was (VF thru VQ) but these categories are obstructed I think???  Thanks for sharing.  This is helpful to others.

5 minutes ago, FlaMariner said:

Nope.  VH are the obstructed view ones, I believe.   VF thru VQ are not obstructed.......

We are taking a second look at deck plan.  You are correct VF is not obstructed, but, it is solid railing on Deck 4.  This is the only deck showing solid railing. The VF's on stern are not solid railing.

And, VQ, is Deck 10, nothing obstructed.  And, they seem to be smaller balcony, but, I am not sure.  Thanks for causing us to take a second look.  There may be more details, but, this is a quick synopsis.

I call HAL upsell dept 3 wks prior to our Rotterdam sailing to the Norwegian fjords, 2 months ago.  

Didn't even bothered our TA.

Orig balcony cabins were $700 pp higher than our booked inside mid Deck 7 cabin.  

They offered $250 pp for mid Deck 7 balcony, across the hallway.  

We took it.

Def worth it for the beautiful Fjord views...

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, FlorenceItaly said:

We are taking a second look at deck plan.  You are correct VF is not obstructed, but, it is solid railing on Deck 4.  This is the only deck showing solid railing. The VF's on stern are not solid railing.

And, VQ, is Deck 10, nothing obstructed.  And, they seem to be smaller balcony, but, I am not sure.  Thanks for causing us to take a second look.  There may be more details, but, this is a quick synopsis.

Don't tell anyone but we really like the VF's on deck 8 forward.  Nice, quiet hideaway area and only one floor from the gym/spa and lido food!

VQ's (spa deck 10) are nice and quiet also.....We had those once and we did not mind the smaller balcony.  We never noticed that it was.......and again, only one floor from the gym/spa and lido food!

Also, just to clarify the reference to VF to VQ...that's all categories in between those categories also, so the upsell offer they gave me was for anything above VH in the verandah category.

Have fun with the deck plan!

• Thanks 1