Captain kate

crusinpeg

1 minute ago, crusinpeg said:

Does anyone know how long Captain Kate will be on the Equinox?

Yeah she left Equinox years ago to go to the Edge and then about 10 months ago she joined Beyond as she was under construction. After a 9 month run on the Beyond, she and Bug are taking a well deserved vacation. You should follow her on TikTok, fabulous feed and you can also follow BugNaked for her feed as well. 🙂

• Like 3

1 hour ago, WheresWalter said:

Yeah she left Equinox years ago to go to the Edge and then about 10 months ago she joined Beyond as she was under construction. After a 9 month run on the Beyond, she and Bug are taking a well deserved vacation. You should follow her on TikTok, fabulous feed and you can also follow BugNaked for her feed as well. 🙂

I follow her and Bug on Instagram - I have avoided downloading TikTok, sticking with Instagram, for now anyway!  So whoever wants to follow her, if you don't want to get into TikTok, Instagram has been great.

• Like 2

Someone in a posting said she might be on "vacation" actually on BEYOND on the sailing from Bayonne Cape Liberty to Ft. Lauderdale repositioning cruise.  I do not have instagram - anyone know if this is in fact true?  Not captain on this sailing - but vacationing on BEYOND?

9 minutes ago, Treacher1 said:

Someone in a posting said she might be on "vacation" actually on BEYOND on the sailing from Bayonne Cape Liberty to Ft. Lauderdale repositioning cruise.  I do not have instagram - anyone know if this is in fact true?  Not captain on this sailing - but vacationing on BEYOND?

I don't know that, but the US naming ceremony for Beyond, press cruise, etc. are from Friday Nov 4th to Tuesday Nov 8th. I can't imagine she would not be there for at least some of those events. 

46 minutes ago, Treacher1 said:

46 minutes ago, Treacher1 said:

This cruise I forgot to mention starts October 26.  Thank you if anyone has any confirmation.

Why not quote that person and ask where they heard it?

She posted last week's hotel where she specifically said she was staying for seven days and yesterday she posted a new hotel in Florence.  She does not appear to be vacationing onboard.  As has been suggested,  following any of her accounts would answer your questions far better than crowd sourcing the internet with people who are sharing hearsay, their best guess, their experience ten months ago, etc.  She posts multiple times a day keeping people up to date on where she is and what she is doing, but almost as often I see someone post an incorrect answer to a Captain Kate question.

Edited by chimchimtx
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

I bet she will move over to the Ascent next year like she did with the Beyond this year.

Was she ever planned to captain the Apex?  If not she may be on the Beyond until the fifth E-Class ship sails, presumably named Pinnacle, Luxe or Elegance based on current X trademarks

1 minute ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Was she ever planned to captain the Apex?  If not she may be on the Beyond until the fifth E-Class ship sails, presumably named Pinnacle, Luxe or Elegance based on current X trademarks

I was just speculating but I believe she did move to the Beyond from the Edge. I do not follow her career much as I do not really care who the captain is of a ship, just as long as the captain gets us to our destinations on time and safely. I know Captain Kate has a loyal cult like following and that is fine, she has been a trend setter and pioneer for a woman in her industry.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, chimchimtx said:

She posted last week's hotel where she specifically said she was staying for seven days and yesterday she posted a new hotel in Florence.  She does not appear to be vacationing onboard.  As has been suggested,  following any of her accounts would answer your questions far better than crowd sourcing the internet with people who are sharing hearsay, their best guess, their experience ten months ago, etc.  She posts multiple times a day keeping people up to date on where she is and what she is doing, but almost as often I see someone post an incorrect answer to a Captain Kate question.

The transatlantic isn’t for another 1.5 weeks so she wouldn’t be on board yet even if it is her plan to do that. 

There have been numerous comments on her Instagram posts by commenters who also heard she will be a passenger on the transatlantic but I haven’t seen any confirmation from Captain Kate herself. I’m sure we will all find out whether there is any truth to the rumor soon enough. 

10 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

I was just speculating but I believe she did move to the Beyond from the Edge. I do not follow her career much as I do not really care who the captain is of a ship, just as long as the captain gets us to our destinations on time and safely. I know Captain Kate has a loyal cult like following and that is fine, she has been a trend setter and pioneer for a woman in her industry.

I'm sure many have a variety of reasons of why they seek sailings with her but from the captain perspective, she's been the best.  Some ship locations have really bad speakers which is only magnified if one has a Greek/Italian accent and can be really hard to understand.  Some captains only announce the heading/course, ocean depth and weather then nothing more in their daily announcement, she usually has a witty joke/saying or two.

Edited by NutsAboutGolf
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

I'm sure many have a variety of reasons of why they seek sailings with her but from the captain perspective, she's been the best.  Some ship locations have really bad speakers which is only magnified if one has a Greek/Italian accent and can be really hard to understand.  Some captains only announce the heading/course, ocean depth and weather then nothing more in their daily announcement, she usually has a witty joke/saying or two.

You are right about that, the captain we had on the Oosterdam in August had a terribly hard to understand accent and never said much until Covid was running rampant on the cruise. The Captain we had on the Reflection was easy to understand and very informative, I do not know his name but he did a good job.

33 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Not at all likely, at least in terms of being the launch captain. She would have been onboard a few months before delivery, which of course took place right in the midst of COVID blowing up.

• Thanks 1

On 10/12/2022 at 12:50 PM, WheresWalter said:

I mean no disrespect in the following comment but  didn’t Kate et al get a much needed break during the shut down?  I just kinda feel like right now it should be all hands on deck to get these cruise lines back to cash flow positive. 

4 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

I mean no disrespect in the following comment but  didn’t Kate et al get a much needed break during the shut down?  I just kinda feel like right now it should be all hands on deck to get these cruise lines back to cash flow positive. 

So Captains shouldn't get a vacation at all?

And hasn't she continuously been on the Beyond since before it's inaugural sailing in April?  Contracts for Captains on Celebrity I thought were usually only 3 months with 3 months off (and I don't think she is taking a full 3 months this time).

1 minute ago, prmssk said:

So Captains shouldn't get a vacation at all?

And hasn't she continuously been on the Beyond since before it's inaugural sailing in April?  Contracts for Captains on Celebrity I thought were usually only 3 months with 3 months off (and I don't think she is taking a full 3 months this time).

As I said, I mean no disrespect. Just making an observation….a wondering, so to speak. 

3 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

As I said, I mean no disrespect. Just making an observation….a wondering, so to speak. 

And I'm wondering what you think is reasonable to expect of a Captain.

As reported on here Captain Kate moved to the Edge before Covid.  She was Captain of the Edge when the shutdown occurred and she stayed with the crew of the Edge during shutdown much longer than the normal 3 or 4 -month Captain rotation.  Ship was down to about 100 crew when she left.  From there she had time off and was announced as the first Captain of the Beyond and went to a France for the last 3-4 months  of construction as they build a crew and take over the ship followed by the first cruises. Since Captains split time and rotate with another Captain it would seem she would be off now and return to the Beyond later this year.  I doubt she moves to the next Edge class and will probably stay on the Beyond for a while but then again who knows.  She is very popular with cruisers.   

15 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

She took no break at all. She was onboard Edge well before COVID hit in March 2020 and stayed on with crew until March 2021. She was then back onboard by May 2021 for the June 2021 restart then had a few months off. Then she was on Beyond since January 2022 until a few weeks ago in early October. She’s either secretly exhausted or an absolute workaholic. Maybe both! Definitely no 3 months on 3 off for her since at least 2019. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

She took no break at all. She was onboard Edge well before COVID hit in March 2020 and stayed on with crew until March 2021. She was then back onboard by May 2021 for the June 2021 restart then had a few months off. Then she was on Beyond since January 2022 until a few weeks ago in early October. She’s either secretly exhausted or an absolute workaholic. Maybe both! Definitely no 3 months on 3 off for her since at least 2019. 

Definitely admirable.  And I agree, she must be exhausted...Thanks for sharing her schedule.  I made the assumption that the ships' captains got a break during the shut down.  And we all know what happens when one assumes...🙃