Dining in The Restaurant at lunch

Genoabay

5 minutes ago, Isklaar said:

The reason that we choose the Colonnade for breakfast and lunch most days is because at home we rarely have the opportunity to dine outdoors. So we take a table outside as we like to make the most of warm weather and sunshine on holiday.  

The closure of the MDR at lunch is not a new or recent thing. I have copies of the Herald from a cruise in 2014, MDR was closed every day. 

We also dine outdoors in nice weather.  We choose the MDR during cold or inclement weather which is not uncommon on our cruises, or if the Colonnade is  zoo.  Not preferring buffets, we do enjoy the additional offerings of a menu.  We have dined for breakfast in the MDR often since 2014--different cruises I guess. 

i am tired of arguing about a preference which does not affect anyone's choices.  

• Like 1

Never been on a SB cruise but have an 18-day upcoming in 2024 on the Encore.

I'm wondering what a "crowded" Colonnade buffet looks like on the Encore.  If someone has a picture could you upload?  Trying to set my expectations appropriately.

We sail mainly suite class on the large mainline cruise ships so what I am picturing as a crowded buffet may not be what a crowded buffet looks like on a SB ship with 600 passengers.

Edited by CalTexCruiser

There’s the issue of whether or not the Restaurant is open during the day, yes, but there’s the more important issue to me of the inferior situation SB offered us for breakfast and lunch in a very long cruise. When it’s the only open venue during inclement weather, it’s more of a zoo - trough - high school caf - take your pick. Add to that the inexperienced, insufficient staff and I don’t care how much of a SB groupie you are, it was unacceptable. 

PS: I still think Mr Luxury is older than me.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 11/17/2022 at 7:20 PM, saminina said:

Recently spent time on Silver Moon.   MDR open every day for breakfast/lunch.   Lunch often at 50% capacity.  To me, it's a big deal.  Also, wider hours than SB.....if/when they open.

Silver Moon has so many dining options. Which one is the MDR for breakfast/lunch?

Was just on the Sojourn for the crossing. The closing of the Restaurant for lunch and a couple of days for breakfast is a disgrace. The Colonnade and Patio are demeaning and degrading for a major meal. I spoke to several people in management about this and got the song and dance about being down 50 staff members. I responded that the casualty stuff should be closed, not the luxury defining elegant restaurant. For two hours, (actually four if you count the Patio), the Seabourn Sojourn becomes the Carnival (or RCCL or NCL, take your pick) Sojourn. The shame of it all is that the food stuffs there are actually very good, but are served in a "slop the hogs" manner. The breakfasts and dinners I had in the Restaurant were excellent. I'm sure the lunches would have been too. I'd love to book Seabourn again, but I'm afraid the Restaurant closure would be a deal breaker for me.

• Thanks 1

@sullaRaffaello I understand those who prefer to have breakfast, lunch and dinner in the Restaurant. But I disagree that my having a meal in the Colonnade is "demeaning" or "degrading". While 100% of the food there may be great, most of it is, as you say, "actually very good." It is certainly not "served in a 'slop the hogs' manner". I've never experienced, or seen, food slopped on a plate like a hog feeding, or even like a basic high school cafeteria. If you don't like dining in a buffet-style restaurant, I get it — but characterizing it that way is over the top… and an insult to the hard-working crew who carefully cook, carve, plate and serve in the Colonnade… and a put-down of any of us who might actually enjoy a meal there. Isn't it enough to advocate that the absence of a sit-down, white tablecloth restaurant for each meal doesn't meet your definition of luxury cruising?

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, sullaRaffaello said:

Was just on the Sojourn for the crossing. The closing of the Restaurant for lunch and a couple of days for breakfast is a disgrace. The Colonnade and Patio are demeaning and degrading for a major meal. I spoke to several people in management about this and got the song and dance about being down 50 staff members. I responded that the casualty stuff should be closed, not the luxury defining elegant restaurant. For two hours, (actually four if you count the Patio), the Seabourn Sojourn becomes the Carnival (or RCCL or NCL, take your pick) Sojourn. The shame of it all is that the food stuffs there are actually very good, but are served in a "slop the hogs" manner. The breakfasts and dinners I had in the Restaurant were excellent. I'm sure the lunches would have been too. I'd love to book Seabourn again, but I'm afraid the Restaurant closure would be a deal breaker for me.

Reading your history in Queens Grill and Crystal I can understand your disappointment . Since this closure on Seabourn dining rooms started happening prior to Covid I understand your hesitation but until Seabourn changes policy it is wise to be aware.

• Like 3

Since what actually happens on different ships at different times, it does not seem as if there is much of policy other than letting the senior catering and hotel staff decide if they have sufficient staff available, and maybe various other considerations, on a particular cruise.  I agree it is not satisfactory, and should be consistent throughout the line.

I was going to add that some people  are going on about this like a dog with a bone, but maybe not a suitable comment at present.😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

3 minutes ago, lincslady said:

Since what actually happens on different ships at different times, it does not seem as if there is much of policy other than letting the senior catering and hotel staff decide if they have sufficient staff available, and maybe various other considerations, on a particular cruise.  I agree it is not satisfactory, and should be consistent throughout the line.

I was going to add that some people  are going on about this like a dog with a bone, but maybe not a suitable comment at present.😉

Our friends who just left Sojourn said it seems to be exactly as you say. Very unfortunate that this situation has occurred on a TA, not forgetting the addition of the canine issues.

I sure hope my crossing next year will offer lunch in the restaurant as we will have 11 sea days!  😁😱.  As the weather should be pleasant, we do enjoy eating outside at the colonnade and will also have the pool area as alternatives for lunch and dinner options.

Nancy

• Like 1

I am currently on Sojourn on our second of two sea days.  Both yesterday and today the restaurant was open for both breakfast and lunch and in fact, I just finished dining there and it was lovely.  I think there were four tables occupied.  I usually eat breakfast and lunch in the Colonnade and I have never felt that the food was presented as "slop the hogs." As a matter of fact I always order something at breakfast and the only thing I do fetch myself is fruit because on different days I might like different fruits.

• Like 6

I am pleased to hear that the MDR has reopened for lunch. Perhaps they did indeed re-staff in Miami. On the 12 day TA the only lunch there was the Galley lunch, and while it is spectacular, it's not the same.

For me, the lunch food in the Colonnade was actually very good. The problem is making your way past folks standing around, and also people reaching in to grab salads, etc, when we are still so close to our quarantine quagmire.

And I was underwhelmed by the Keller Grill. Good service, meh food.

Hoping for breakfast and lunch served in the MD on the Odyssey. We would normally enjoy going to the Colonade but with the current situation I think I will be concerned being in such a crowded place.  Can anyone confirm what is happening at the moment on Odyssey… we are sailing soon. 

One of the reasons we chose Silversea for our trans-Atlantic cruise in March was the certainty of the MDR being open for breakfast and lunch during a cool weather cruise. However, we chose Seabourn for our Amazon cruise next fall as eating in the MDR on a warm-weather cruise is not an issue for us. Sometimes these little issues can be a factor for some in selecting a cruise line, and it's probably a good idea for cruise executives to be aware of it.

• Like 1

Not just important for cruise line executives to be aware of what factors—like MDR's being open for breakfast and lunch on all days— make passengers choose one cruise line over another, but for them to have a firm, well-publicized in advance policy across the entire fleet and then adhere to it in practice..

• Like 7