"Live" Regal Princess, Oct 26 to Dec 2, Rome to Ft Lauderdale

LACruiser88

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"Another from LACruiser88! Thank you for generously sharing your time at sea with everyone at Cruise Critic!"

LACruiser88 was awarded the badge '"Live from...."' and 5 points.

I am starting this "Live" thread a little early as we will be leaving tomorrow for a week's stay in Tuscany before we board the ship. 

We are traveling with another couple and are flying from Los Angeles to Rome (FCO), non-stop, on Italia Transporto Aereo (ITA).  This is the former Alitalia Airline.  We booked Business Class via EZair at a fantastic price! 

We have had very good experiences flying Alitalia in the past, this will be our first time flying ITA since the reorganization. 

We are renting a mini-van (we have lots of luggage and cars in Europe tend to be much smaller) at FCO and are driving to an Agriturismo (working vineyard, winery, olive oil production, restaurant and accommodations), where we have rented apartments within a large Villa.  We have stayed at this location in the past and thoroughly enjoyed it.  We will be 10 miles south of Florence in the Chianti region.  From here we will base our daily trips throughout Tuscany.

The day prior to boarding the ship, we will drive back to FCO and spend a night at an airport hotel.  We have arranged private transportation to the ship in Civitavecchia. 

We have booked our 37 day cruise as an 11 day and 26 day back-to-back voyage.  The 26 day voyage could also be booked as an 11 day and 15 day back-to-back.  For us the 26 day voyage was more financially advantageous.

Our roll calls for these voyages have been the most active I have seen in a very long time.  As of today, there are over 4,300 posts on the three separate roll calls that cover the three legs of our voyage. 

I would like to acknowledge @Jilliebean28 for her unselfish commitment to maintaining an ever-changing and extremely lengthy Excel spreadsheet of activities and excursions.  There has been 35 updated versions of the spreadsheet!    

Not being a very prolific or witty "Live" poster, I encourage our fellow cruisers to contribute to this thread as we travel along.  Hopefully, this thread will help unite the three separate roll calls in one location.

We usually do not attend the shows, do not participate in games nor interact with the Cruise Director or his/her staff.  We do enjoy the Sanctuary, Vines, food and music venues (we enjoy dancing very much).  Hopefully, our fellow cruisers will fill in the gaps!

This is an extremely active itinerary and I'll try to answer as many questions as I possibly can. 

Map shows port stops for Grand Mediterranean. For more details, refer to the List of Port Stops table on this page.

Map shows port stops for Western Mediterranean Grand Adventure. For more details, refer to the List of Port Stops table on this page.

• Like 15

2 hours ago, LACruiser88 said:

I am starting this "Live" thread a little early as we will be leaving tomorrow for a week's stay in Tuscany before we board the ship. 

We are traveling with another couple and are flying from Los Angeles to Rome (FCO), non-stop, on Italia Transporto Aereo (ITA).  This is the former Alitalia Airline.  We booked Business Class via EZair at a fantastic price! 

We have had very good experiences flying Alitalia in the past, this will be our first time flying ITA since the reorganization. 

We are renting a mini-van (we have lots of luggage and cars in Europe tend to be much smaller) at FCO and are driving to an Agriturismo (working vineyard, winery, olive oil production, restaurant and accommodations), where we have rented apartments within a large Villa.  We have stayed at this location in the past and thoroughly enjoyed it.  We will be 10 miles south of Florence in the Chianti region.  From here we will base our daily trips throughout Tuscany.

The day prior to boarding the ship, we will drive back to FCO and spend a night at an airport hotel.  We have arranged private transportation to the ship in Civitavecchia. 

We have booked our 37 day cruise as an 11 day and 26 day back-to-back voyage.  The 26 day voyage could also be booked as an 11 day and 15 day back-to-back.  For us the 26 day voyage was more financially advantageous.

Our roll calls for these voyages have been the most active I have seen in a very long time.  As of today, there are over 4,300 posts on the three separate roll calls that cover the three legs of our voyage. 

I would like to acknowledge @Jilliebean28 for her unselfish commitment to maintaining an ever-changing and extremely lengthy Excel spreadsheet of activities and excursions.  There has been 35 updated versions of the spreadsheet!    

Not being a very prolific or witty "Live" poster, I encourage our fellow cruisers to contribute to this thread as we travel along.  Hopefully, this thread will help unite the three separate roll calls in one location.

We usually do not attend the shows, do not participate in games nor interact with the Cruise Director or his/her staff.  We do enjoy the Sanctuary, Vines, food and music venues (we enjoy dancing very much).  Hopefully, our fellow cruisers will fill in the gaps!

This is an extremely active itinerary and I'll try to answer as many questions as I possibly can. 

Map shows port stops for Grand Mediterranean. For more details, refer to the List of Port Stops table on this page.

Map shows port stops for Western Mediterranean Grand Adventure. For more details, refer to the List of Port Stops table on this page.

the reviews of ITA scared me off of EZ Air. Check to make sure it is former Italia- I don't think it is, although they have some of the planes

Thanks so much for doing this.  We are just under three weeks before flying to Rome and the excitement is building.  This will be our first cruise since Hawaii April 2019 and to say we are looking forward to it is a HUGE understatement.   😉🥂

• Like 2

Thanks for starting the "Live"  for our upcoming cruises. Also, a big thanks to Jilliebean for her work keeping up the ever growing spreadsheet and all organizers of private tours and ship activities..   We will  leave Sunday to begin our cruises  from 26 Oct to 2 Dec also - but booked as 3 separate cruises for us.  Got our medallions, we are  packed and just waiting for Sunday to get here.  We do enjoy the production shows (especially the newer ones) and a few games.  Lounging, reading and visiting with our travel friends will keep us busy.

• Like 3

THANK YOU for starting this!

we are very much looking forward to your "live from"!  ...Leaving for Paris next week and will see you on the transatlantic portion of your journey. stay safe and enjoy!

• Like 1

We will be joining this voyage on 11/6 in Barcelona.   We arrive in Barcelona on 11/3 for a few days of wonderful tapas and tours.  We too enjoy the Scantuary and the bars.  Not much for the shows but do like trivia.  I will try to add items here but was also planning in doing a live from too.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, LACruiser88 said:

I am so excited to be following your "Live" thread and will be following it closely!  We, like you, enjoy Sanctuary (usually book this for our whole cruise in the Caribbean), Vines (every evening), and the various food and music venues so I am sure we will run into each other!  Not very interested in the shows but do enjoy trivia occasionally.

Thank you for your very kind words.....it really has been fun, and at times challenging, keeping the roll call spreadsheet.

I hope you have safe travels to and around Europe and look forward to meeting you soon!

Jill

• Like 5

We are on board now and have to say that both dining room and buffet food has been wonderful, as have been every crew member.

Last night the captain announced that we will miss Malta tomorrow because of a docking issue, will have a sea day instead and will do Dubrovnik instead.

The seas have been absolutely calm, and there has not been a cloud in the sky since we boarded a couple of days ago. Our pre cruise weather in Barcelona was perfect also. We are cruising at 14kts.

In total, we are on board for 48 days so have lots to look forward to 

Kids and grandkids are looking forward to the hypnotist show tonight after formal night dinner. We have the same table reservation for us each night while family is on board. 

Apparently there are about 2600 pax on board, so not crowded.

Will attempt to answer questions if able.

• Like 6

Thanks for starting this Live from.  We were booked on the 11 day Oct 26 part but cancelled before final payment.  Too much uncertainty for us about testing, etc (although I know now it was all dropped) and how crowded the ship would be.  I'll be following along and wishing we were there!

• Like 1

We arrived in Venice this morning.   Flight arrived about 40 minutes late due to fog.  We are thrilled all of our luggage made it too.   We are on a Princess land tour starting on the 20th.  2 days in Venice,  2 days in Florence,  2 days in Rome, and boarding the ship on the 26th. And will depart on December 2nd.  We arrived 2 days early to try to get past jet lag.  It seems I need it.  I haven't gone outside except to board the hotel shuttle.   It looks beautiful.   So will venture out for fresh air if nothing else.   Looking forward to meeting everyone and reading about your activities. 

• Like 3

The 3 hour drive to Tuscany went smoothly.  We are sure glad we rented a mini van!  Lots of luggage.

After a great dinner tonight at Tenuta Il Corno (where we are staying), we are ready for some sleep after being up for about 30 hours.  We can never sleep on a flight no matter what "sleep aids" we take.

Btw, dinner tonight was highlighted by a taglatelli with black truffles!  Fantástico!

20221018_131015.jpg

FB_IMG_1666113589841.jpg

FB_IMG_1666113575746.jpg

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, LACruiser88 said:

The 3 hour drive to Tuscany went smoothly.  We are sure glad we rented a mini van!  Lots of luggage.

After a great dinner tonight at Tenuta Il Corno (where we are staying), we are ready for some sleep after being up for about 30 hours.  We can never sleep on a flight no matter what "sleep aids" we take.

Btw, dinner tonight was highlighted by a taglatelli with black truffles!  Fantástico!

20221018_131015.jpg

FB_IMG_1666113589841.jpg

FB_IMG_1666113575746.jpg

Wow, I am seriously underpacked!!  🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, LACruiser88 said:

20221018_131015.jpg

FB_IMG_1666113589841.jpg

FB_IMG_1666113575746.jpg

Wow, great place to stay.

• Like 1