Carnival Cruise Line Cracks Down On Deck Chair Hogs

mnocket

1 hour ago, wrongwaywatson said:

I'm in agreement with kywildcatfanone.   Getting up and going to the grill to grab a hot dog/hamburger and a drink and then returning is perfectly fine.   That is NOT entitlement

The story has morphed from, “I can't make my way into the buffet and eat and back in 20 minutes”

to, “I'm gone from for a few minutes to use the bathroom, get a burger and drink?”

The Self-entitlement mindset has no limits and will expand/contract to the extent necessary to justify any manner of abhorrent behavior.

• Like 3

Nothing wrong with:

2 hours ago, kywildcatfanone said:

go to get a burger or slice of pizza for lunch and come back

to eat it in the chair. Or take a quick dip and be right back. Should be able to do that in 20 minutes.

The problem is getting up, going to the buffet, eating there and still reserving the chair. 

Edited by Ombud
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, wrongwaywatson said:

Yes.  By the time you walk (or ride the elevator if they are busy) down the stairs, go down the hallway, get to your cabin, go to the bathroom, wash your hands and reverse that, it CAN take that long.....speaking from a person who had colon surgery a few years ago who is eating things not quite her normal stuff.  Yes.    But, my point is 20 minutes isn't long enough, but I think 30 is.

hahaha. We'll meet in the middle then They said 40.. I said 20.. you've said 30. We'll compromise and meet you on that. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Over from NZ said:

hahaha. We'll meet in the middle then They said 40.. I said 20.. you've said 30. We'll compromise and meet you on that. 

Gee and now posters get to decide a time limit that Princess won't.  Who would have thunk it.

15 hours ago, Kay S said:

Over on the Carnival board the thread like this one is Carnival "may" crack down on chair hogs.  They aren't convinced it will happen either. 🙂

And with good reason, when have they ever enforced any rules where passengers might complain. The staff would rather not deal with that kind of situation.

11 hours ago, wrongwaywatson said:

I'm in agreement with kywildcatfanone.   Getting up and going to the grill to grab a hot dog/hamburger and a drink and then returning is perfectly fine.   That is NOT entitlement

Thank you.  I was beginning to think I'd gone mad.  To even think to me that any of these activities would be considered chair hogging to anyone blows my mind.

1.  Getting up from your chair for any reason

2.  Getting up from your chair to go into the pool

3.  Getting up from your chair to go to the bathroom

4.  Getting up from your chair to go to get something to eat

5.  Getting up from your chair to stretch your legs

6.  Getting up from your chair to go to the bar and get a drink

7.  Getting up from your chair and returning within a reasonable amount of time to do any of the above, a combination of any of the above, or something not listed above.

• Like 6

14 hours ago, wrongwaywatson said:

Good grief.  This thread isn't about Covid, why bring it up?  

Oh my fault.  I was trying to learn if going to the ship's medical center for a quick Covid tests is grounds to lose your chair especially if you are back in 20 minutes and than whether you tested positive or negative would result in some kind of consequences for using the chair?

• Haha 2

On our last cruise we had a group of about 6 people that put belongings on the deck chairs near the pool and then also sat on the couches adjacent to the pool and went back and forth between them all day. They essentially were hogging 2 areas of relaxation which I thought was really being a hog.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Potstech said:

But your opinion, like mine, won't even get you a cup of coffee on a ship lounge chair. Or anywhere else.

Order on the medallion? I have to order tea at the counter as I want the pot 

20 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

The horse is dead.

But it was interesting to note that some people consider their actions as completely proper, while others condemn those actions.  

I don’t have a dog in this fight, because I can almost always find a non-poolside chair, but many people are adamant about this issue.

• Like 1

Consideration and courtesy are key elements to dealing with most issues of this nature;

I wonder if people realize that deck chairs are in a crowded and noisy areas that are very hot and/or very cold and windy.  I don't think I've ever saved a pair of seats when I wasn't in one of them.  On the other hand, I have co-opted seats previously saved by other people for my own use without permission.

It's not my job nor interest to determine if the reason or time for which you save a seat is reasonable or appropriate.  My only interest is sitting down in that ever so desirable seat before me that is not being used.  On the flip side, if I were to save a seat it's not my job to convince you or anyone that I have good reason to save it for as long as I want/need so that I can sit down when I return;

Since we have stuff with which to save seats, include a pen and sticky-notes and put the date/time and a reasonable guess on when you intend to return.  The reader can then make informed choices.  If someone can come and go before you or I return, they use the seat and no one is put out.  Worst case is nothing has changed, except for the lost 20 seconds necessary to pen the sticky-note.  Again, I don't generally save seats but have been part of a small 6 person group that did save seats on one cruise for which I wrote notes.  The notes elicited a couple nice comments;

When I'm walking through the herd of saved deck chairs, I have a simple way of sitting down.  After I find a couple of candidate chairs I can separate from the herd, I ask a nearby person and ask "Are you saving these chairs?"  They will generally volunteer whatever information they have, usually a yes/no and if/how long they have been vacant.  If, as is usually the case, the chairs are available, I will carefully remove the items on the chair and place them safely beneath the chair, then sit and relax.  When I'm done, and on all but one occasion this is what has happened, I carefully replace the items to the top of the chairs, and move on.  No harm no foul.  On the one occasion when the savers returned, I smiled and thanked them for the use of the chairs, let them know that "You don't need to thank me for watching your chairs and stuff" and moved on, no harm no foul.

If I were to leave personal items on a seat to save it, I would want to find those items where I left them.  Being directed to somewhere else to find them would not be at all pleasing.  Knowing how I would feel about this is why I would not move their items elsewhere, but would keep them safe where they left them, and return them to the spot they left them when I leave.

Good luck,

Edited by The Greater Fool
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, Princessfan20 said:

You are still invading someone’s space, removing private property without their permission and creating a possible conflict and disturbing the peace situation.

I would argue that the chair hog is the one invading private property and creating a possible conflict and disturbing of the peace situation. The lounger is not his/hers. It belongs to the cruise line and is not there for the chair hog to claim when they are not there. Period!

Each day in Patters Princess has a statement in bold print asking for folks not to save chairs around the deck and in shows. Princess has made their  statement clear. Mature, responsible passengers are expected to oblige. Chair hogs can expect to be treated as selfish, entitled people who don't deserve any sympathy. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, PTMary said:

I would argue that the chair hog is the one invading private property and creating a possible conflict and disturbing of the peace situation. The lounger is not his/hers. It belongs to the cruise line and is not there for the chair hog to claim when they are not there. Period!

Each day in Patters Princess has a statement in bold print asking for folks not to save chairs around the deck and in shows. Princess has made their  statement clear. Mature, responsible passengers are expected to oblige. Chair hogs can expect to be treated as selfish, entitled people who don't deserve any sympathy. 

Princess has  made the statement in bold statement and then decided not to enforce it.  And that is clear. That is their prerogative . Nowhere does it state cruisers can set some sort of arbitrary standard and require others to abide by them. Those who do should be treated as selfish, entitled people who think they are more important than others. That is not being mature or responsible.

38 minutes ago, Potstech said:

Princess has  made the statement in bold statement and then decided not to enforce it.  And that is clear. That is their prerogative . Nowhere does it state cruisers can set some sort of arbitrary standard and require others to abide by them. Those who do should be treated as selfish, entitled people who think they are more important than others. That is not being mature or responsible.

Really think you nailed it!  I totally agree with your interpretation of the vigilante chair interlopers.

• Like 1

I cannot help myself.  I think it is about time I chime in.  You can have my chair. 

I do not like the sun.  Swimming is my staying alive while in the water.  Heaven forbid what people in the hot tubs for hours are actually "doing" in the hot tub.  AND the sun is unhealthy for you. 

So far, I have been managed not to develop skin cancer.  I lived in the sun most of my youth, turning a shade of brown that was off the charts.  

It is my opinion that the bottom line to pool lounge chairs is civility.  All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten. by Robert Fulghum

16 Things Everyone Learned in Kindergarten
  • Share everything.
  • Play fair.
  • Don't hit people.
  • Put things back where you found them.
  • Clean up your own mess.
  • Don't take things that aren't yours.
  • Say you're sorry when you hurt somebody.
  • Wash your hands before you eat.
  • and more.....
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Princessfan20 said:

You are still invading someone’s space, removing private property without their permission and creating a possible conflict and disturbing the peace situation.

1. I do not remove their property.  I move their property carefully 12 inches;

2. I choose chairs with very few very impersonal items, like a towel or book;  I don't want to get involved in a large or complicated moving project;

3. Exactly what conflict?  The person get's immediate use of the chair they saved.  Their towel or book is right there.  They are going to throw a tantrum because someone used a chair they weren't using?  "Someone touched my towel!"

4. Get real;

4 hours ago, Potstech said:

1. I am not requiring anyone to abide to some arbitrary standard.  In point of fact, I am recognizing and supporting the chair savers arbitrary standard;

2. The person get's their saved chair immediately;  Their saved chair is still saved for them.  They suffer exactly zero harm or inconvenience;

3. The entitled person in this scenario is the person that throws a tantrum because someone used a chair they weren't using;

4. OK Boomer;

This is why we can't have nice things.

• Like 3

I think we can all agree that a quick trip to the buffet then back to the lounger is completely inbounds. 

But how about those who think is alright to go the buffet then eat a meal while there before returning to their lounger?

Surely sounds like the textbook definition of a Chair Hog. 

• Like 4