When are rooms ready??

ChemistBabe

Just trying to understand embarkation day.

What time are our rooms generally ready?

(For what its worth, we are staying in a club class mini-suite.  Does that affect timing?)

I hate hauling carry-on bags around the ship, so would rather board when rooms are ready!

Thanks!

the most honest answer is it depends, I believe the official time that Princess promises standard cabins is 1:30 but we have often had them before...I don't know about Club Class...there used to be a place where you could leave them until the rooms are open...

we always go to lunch in the MDR on embarkation day & the rooms have been ready by the time we are done, although on our sailings since the restart they have been ready before lunch (however, 2 were less than half full & the 3rd was a return to service sailing

4 hours ago, ChemistBabe said:

Just trying to understand embarkation day.

What time are our rooms generally ready?

(For what its worth, we are staying in a club class mini-suite.  Does that affect timing?)

I hate hauling carry-on bags around the ship, so would rather board when rooms are ready!

Thanks!

They will announce rooms will be ready about 100-130pm.  However, ours have always been ready.  They make sure the Suites, Elites and Mini Suites are ready as soon as possible, or so I’ve been told,

We usually drop off our carryon in the cabin and go to lunch. We are on by 1130-1200 normally.

If the steward is finishing up, no problem, we just drop off the bags in the closet.

PCL crew does a great job with turnaround.

• Like 2

Depends. Latest around 1, 1:30. Cabins could be ready when you board around 11:30. Some ship's hotel managers have the fire doors closed and limit access to cabins. Other ships leave the doors open and allow you to drop your stuff. There may be an announcement, there may not.

• Like 1

You will be told at the time of departure.  1:00 seems to be the average.  Just recently we boarded at around 11:00 and were told 1:00.  At noon I walked to our cabin (Mini-Suite) and found it ready, so we dropped off our carry -on luggage and headed to Alfredo's. By the time lunch was over, the bags we turned over to the Porters had arrived. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PacnGoNow said:

They will announce rooms will be ready about 100-130pm.  However, ours have always been ready.  They make sure the Suites, Elites and Mini Suites are ready as soon as possible, or so I’ve been told,

For the times that the rooms have not been open when we board, we  (Elites) wait around in the buffet, MDR for lunch or around the International Cafe  until the announcement is made that all can go to their cabins.  No special announcements that Elites can go any sooner than other.

A reminder, particularly for folks who are new to Princess: Princess is noted for allowing access to cabins quite early in the boarding process. Just because the cabin is available for you doesn't necessarily mean the cabin is finished for you to "move in to". The majority of the time we've boarded a Princess ship, the cabin has been accessible to us and we've been able to drop off our bags (On the Enchanted a few weeks ago, this was actually before 11AM), but in every case, Stewart has been nearby finishing off his/her cabin prep, so we simply drop of our carry-on bags and leave immediately.  These room stewards are very diligent and incredibly over-worked these days, so the last thing they need is to have newly arrived passengers intrude on their last-minute work, trying to unpack carry-ons etc.. Please give them the time to finish your cabin and only return after lunch when the official announcement has been made that cabins are ready.

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, lx200gps said:

A reminder, particularly for folks who are new to Princess: Princess is noted for allowing access to cabins quite early in the boarding process. Just because the cabin is available for you doesn't necessarily mean the cabin is finished for you to "move in to". The majority of the time we've boarded a Princess ship, the cabin has been accessible to us and we've been able to drop off our bags (On the Enchanted a few weeks ago, this was actually before 11AM), but in every case, Stewart has been nearby finishing off his/her cabin prep, so we simply drop of our carry-on bags and leave immediately.  These room stewards are very diligent and incredibly over-worked these days, so the last thing they need is to have newly arrived passengers intrude on their last-minute work, trying to unpack carry-ons etc.. Please give them the time to finish your cabin and only return after lunch when the official announcement has been made that cabins are ready.

Great observation.  We were able to drop off our hand carries at 10:30 a.m. on our recent Royal Princess sailing.  Our room steward was extremely polite and shared that we were welcome to watch the safety video before heading out.

• Like 1

Just off the Discovery and our room was open for us to drop off our carry ons but not ready for us to occupy or unpack at 11:30.  Watched the safety video on our phones, had lunch and explored the ship and when we returned in the afternoon room was ready, and bags had arrived.  We were in a regular balcony and not Elites.  Embarkation day for us was quick and easy.

Just a word of caution.   If the rooms are available to you to drop off your carryon but the Steward is still working on the rooms, the Steward may or may not keep the doors propped open till he or she is done.  

We have had varying experiences over the years but in 17 Princess cruises we have only been told we couldn't have access to our cabin when we boarded (normally noon or earlier).  On the last cruise on 30 Sep we boarded at 11:30 and didn't stop until we got to our aft facing balcony cabin which was ready.  I have always considered that a big plus for Princess.  I think we heard an announcement around 1pm saying cabins were ready.

In 25 years of cruising, I've never seen anyone on a cruise trip over a bag and hurt themselves. If you are frail and have trouble managing your carry on, perhaps you might consider boarding after 1:00, when all of the cabins should be open.

• Like 1