Queen Victoria questions

number5

Have never cruised with Cunard before but looking to book on a cruise leaving this year and a couple of questions have popped into my head that some one may be able to answer

Before I book my stateroom, is there a set floor or section of staterooms ( like aft ) that may be used for covid quarantine cases if they happen ? I would not be happy if I booked a stateroom that I wanted to be in & ticked the no upgrade  box to find out I was given a different room. Also on the newer cruise ships I know they are very good at producing ordinary tap water for drinking, but are there any issues on the Queen Victoria about the tap water as my partner has to take tablets that do not use bottled water as they have too many minerals in them.

Finally is there plenty of choice of various entertainment on sea days, live music, quizzes, dance classes etc or does it seem a bit limited ?

• Like 1

Entertainment during sea days;   Cunard Line is one of the very few cruise lines left that provides 'live music around the ship'.  Live music every evening in the Queens Room, the Golden Lion pub,  piano music or soft jazz in the Commodore club. There is a Classical Trio that often play in and around the Grand Lobby or during Afternoon Tea.  There is often live music out on the aft deck during sail away ( weather permitting) 

Other activities or entertainment include;  Insight lectures ( usually three a day) Dance lessons/ Zumba/line dancing/ a daily quiz /Bingo/ Bridge groups / Classical piano recitals occasionally . Occasionally there is a Tea Dance during afternoon tea in the Ball Room.

In fact there will be so much to keep you occupied that you will be running from one venue to another !

Top tip,  Take a highlighter pen with you to highlight your daily programme.  

Edited by Bell Boy
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Lanky Lad said:

I am pretty sure the cabins for quarantine are kept empty so you should be safe.

Actually, exactly the situation the OP mentions has just happened to my sister for a cruise on QM2 in December. She had a cabin chosen and said 'no upgrade'. She has just been told that cabin will now be out of service due to covid. It was an oceanview, deck 5, which I thought was odd, given they usually use balcony cabins for quarantine. 

As it happens, she has been upgraded to a balcony in a much better position, so it is not a problem. It just seemed very unusual. This will be her first Cunard cruise.

Thanks for your answers & Camgirls answer was interesting but it hasn't put me off with booking. Just looking at booking a balcony on either decks 5,6 or 7 and was wondering if the staterooms have baths with a shower over or are they just showers only, which i would prefer,

On 10/24/2022 at 10:49 AM, babs135 said:

One other activity which wasn't included in Hattie's post.  Foil fencing lessons!!  Caught up with the end of one of the classes and it looked enormous fun.  May have to give it a go in December.

It's loads of fun, but a lot more strenuous than you might think, I had to go back to the stateroom for a second shower after every lesson, when I did it the last time.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, number5 said:

Thanks for your answers & Camgirls answer was interesting but it hasn't put me off with booking. Just looking at booking a balcony on either decks 5,6 or 7 and was wondering if the staterooms have baths with a shower over or are they just showers only, which i would prefer,

I would avoid deck 7 and go for deck 5 or 6. Deck 8 has the lido, winter garden pools and gym so you could get noise on deck 7.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/24/2022 at 10:42 AM, Bell Boy said:

Anyone who complains of being bored onboard a Cunard ship is certainly working at it 😉

We did an TA with our two girls (22 and 17) and were afraid that this type of cruise will bored them but I have to say that the opposit happened. They were in action all of the day and took part in a lot of the daily programm events.....and we are Germans where the first language is not English!

Edited by schattenfell71
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/19/2022 at 12:37 PM, Host Hattie said:

You could ask but don't be too disappointed if the answer is no.

Thanks for your reply & I'm not going to stop having rice with a meal if its with  the ordinary white rice. I'm just starting trying to be more aware of what I'm eating and what healthier options, are without going vegetarian.

I did a search on here about the Launderettes onboard and one earlier post was saying  the launderettes on board were free. Is that still the case & if not, then how do you pay for the washers & dryers ? The other question on this subject is can I bring my own detergent or should I bring washing pods ( pouches ? ) that have a set amount of detergent or is there a machine in the launderette room that you can buy powder from?

The laundrettes are free and they have a dispenser with free bags of powder - if you need a special powder type eg sensitive skin, you could bring your own. There are ironing boards also in the laundrettes to do your own ironing.

In your room will be a bag with price list if you wish to use the laundry service rather than laundrette.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1