Specialty Dining Cost Princess Australia

Hi all,Well here is a question for those currently on board Coral and Majestic (Geoff). What is the current cost for the specialty restaurants? On the Medallion App it says $29.00 BUT if you look at the menu in the actual restaurants it says $40.00.What should I actually be paying? It was only brought to our attention by a guest we were talking to at lunchtime and when he checked is credit card today he has been charged some things in US dollars already! It has me thinking as I understood Majestic was in AUD. Thanks Cheryle

14 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

On Coral:

Sabatinis is $34

Bayou Steakhouse is $40

Thanks, but Medallion app says $29? I guess I am about to find out tonight!

Hope you are felling ok. We have many friends on your cruise and only cancelled out our selves earlier in the year, so I reading your posts with  interest.

PS I have been unable to try your wine recommendation as I am not drinking at present, but hopefully will try next cruise!

I have booked 2 speciality restaurants for my 20 November cruise on Majestic Princess. Used the Medallion app and cost on my Aust debit card was $29 per person.  Hope this clarifies for you. 

11 minutes ago, CCC's said:

I have booked 2 speciality restaurants for my 20 November cruise on Majestic Princess. Used the Medallion app and cost on my Aust debit card was $29 per person.  Hope this clarifies for you. 

Thanks! I am also on 20/11 too. Booked Crown Grill and nothing has showed up on CC as yet.

I booked two speciality restaurants on Coral Princess for a November cruise, and was charged $A34 and $A40 on my credit card, so you got a bargain CCCs!

If you are departing from an Australian port, all the onboard charges should be in AUD.

On 10/26/2022 at 5:18 PM, cruiser3775 said:

I booked two speciality restaurants on Coral Princess for a November cruise, and was charged $A34 and $A40 on my credit card, so you got a bargain CCCs!

If you are departing from an Australian port, all the onboard charges should be in AUD.

All charges should be in AUD , but Guest Services say no! Funny thing is everything but the specialty restaurants are charge AUD but specialty dining no.,US on  app, guest services cannot answer than one! We agree to disagree, but they have been generous with their refund!

I booked a couple of dinners on Grand Princess (dep next week) and was charged $25 for Sabatinis and $29 for Crown Grill.  I think they are meant to be USD but have gone through to my cc as AUD with no surcharge or exchange rates.  Just a glitch in their system I think.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Ondine said:

I booked a couple of dinners on Grand Princess (dep next week) and was charged $25 for Sabatinis and $29 for Crown Grill.  I think they are meant to be USD but have gone through to my cc as AUD with no surcharge or exchange rates.  Just a glitch in their system I think.

Yes, same here.   Booked for Crown Grill on Majestic Princess at $29AUD each person.  Credit Card total for 2 = $58AUD.

• Like 1

Guest relations told me that everything on the App is still in US dollars, this is not the case and they are stumped as they cannot do anything and they do see my point.

In the end, they have been very, very generous to us with specialty dining and I am about to right a letter of thanks. Unfortunately the ship cannot change the App, but the way they handled it speaks very highly of all on Majestic Princess. Perhaps they do know I will be back on the case on 20/11🤣🤣🤣🤣

29 minutes ago, resordanis said:

Guest relations told me that everything on the App is still in US dollars, this is not the case and they are stumped as they cannot do anything and they do see my point.

In the end, they have been very, very generous to us with specialty dining and I am about to right a letter of thanks. Unfortunately the ship cannot change the App, but the way they handled it speaks very highly of all on Majestic Princess. Perhaps they do know I will be back on the case on 20/11🤣🤣🤣🤣

The cruise line needs to understand Ausssies resent the belief that US$ are acceptable everywhere, like we are a third world country!  They should fix their prices into Aussie $s ASAP!

• Thanks 1

On 10/26/2022 at 5:49 PM, resordanis said:

Thanks, but Medallion app says $29? I guess I am about to find out tonight!

Hope you are felling ok. We have many friends on your cruise and only cancelled out our selves earlier in the year, so I reading your posts with  interest.

PS I have been unable to try your wine recommendation as I am not drinking at present, but hopefully will try next cruise!

Out of curiosity, how did you go? Did you end up prebooking for $29 on the app and was it honoured?

We have booked prior to travel on the app for $29 and assuming it will be honoured onboard.

18 minutes ago, LuckiePuris said:

Out of curiosity, how did you go? Did you end up prebooking for $29 on the app and was it honoured?

We have booked prior to travel on the app for $29 and assuming it will be honoured onboard.

No the price was $40, but Majestic were very generous with their compensation as they could see the dilemma but couldn’t change the app. Will find out hopefully on 20/11 to see what I will be charged.

34 minutes ago, LuckiePuris said:

The $29 pre-purchase via the app is honoured, and there is a voucher that comes to your cabin.

We also booked another couple of sittings with the app once aboard, but that isn't pre-paid. Showed $29 on the app, but they confirmed the $40 price with us when we were seated.

• Thanks 1

• 8 months later...
On 7/22/2023 at 12:44 AM, pieinsky said:

Hi Suzy,

We sailed on a Mediterranean/Greek Island 2 week cruise in May 2022, and a Western Caribbean in February 2023 since Covid. We thought the service was a good or maybe even better than what we've had in the past. Very attentive in the dining room and on the ship with drinks, and bringing them to you using their medallion system no matter where you are on the ship. Food was still good, though portion sizes seemed to have become smaller which we are frankly okay with. We'd prefer to order more unique things and try them, rather than waste food. Smaller plates helps with this and makes it more possible to have room for dessert. 🙂 We really enjoyed a night doing Chef's table, which you had to sign up for early. The entertainment we had was about the same, I'd say with the offerings. There was one exception to that, when on our Greece tour (I think) there was one very strange night, one of their production shows. I think they were trying to change things up, but the whole thing was very disjointed, too modern and hard to follow what they were trying to "say" with the music, dancing, and theater all rolled up into one production. They had a lot of crying babies in strollers, for instance a couple of times (who wants to hear that?), some kind of funny half size dancers with fake legs (or maybe it was their arms). I think they were trying to show that a child's life goes by so fast??? Anyway, we didn't care for it. I'd like to see Princess do one shortened up Broadway show per week, personally. But I really didn't notice much change from before Covid. Hope you find the same! 🙂

Rebecca

On 11/6/2022 at 3:26 PM, windsor26 said:

prebooked last week and they charged my debit card $29 AUD pp  (steakhouse) on Majestic

On 11/6/2022 at 3:26 PM, windsor26 said:

prebooked last week and they charged my debit card $29 AUD pp  (steakhouse) on Majestic

Just checked Aussie cruise 3/24 steakhouse now $53 per person

A bit of a price hike then! I am not sure the speciality restaurants on Princess are worth that amount - they are good but not great or WOW. On Majestic last November in fact I thought they were pretty bleh - not a lot of ambience and food so so.

Edited by Aussieflyer

20 minutes ago, Aussieflyer said:

A bit of a price hike then! I am not sure the speciality restaurants on Princess are worth that amount - they are good but not great or WOW. On Majestic last November in fact I thought they were pretty bleh - not a lot of ambience and food so so.

Not really. At the time, the $29 was meant to be the US price, and the Aussie dollar price was $40. Those that got in early got it for $AU29.

For Majestic this coming season, the Crown Grill & Harmony are currently $53, but the same blip exists for the new Catch by Rudi which is also supposed to be the same price, but currently available for $AU39 which is the $US price.

The price has gone up, but more of a catch-up IMHO. Crown Grill is comparable to P&O Salt Grill, but still cheaper. Crown Grill is better than Royal's Chops Grill which was somewhere near $AU90pp last season. I agree that the ambiance isn't as good as the more secluded venue on the Grand class ships, and food is always up & down. Last season we found the Crown Grill menu in Bayou to be divine on the plate, but Majestic was still nice enough to go back for more.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, arxcards said:

Not really. At the time, the $29 was meant to be the US price, and the Aussie dollar price was $40. Those that got in early got it for $AU29.

For Majestic this coming season, the Crown Grill & Harmony are currently $53, but the same blip exists for the new Catch by Rudi which is also supposed to be the same price, but currently available for $AU39 which is the $US price.

The price has gone up, but more of a catch-up IMHO. Crown Grill is comparable to P&O Salt Grill, but still cheaper. Crown Grill is better than Royal's Chops Grill which was somewhere near $AU90pp last season. I agree that the ambiance isn't as good as the more secluded venue on the Grand class ships, and food is always up & down. Last season we found the Crown Grill menu in Bayou to be divine on the plate, but Majestic was still nice enough to go back for more.

Agree about Coral and Crown/Bayou - it was great but thought the Majestic was pretty ordinary.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, NSWP said:

The speciality restaurant prices are getting overvthe top, why pay them, mdr food is normally ok. Princess is anyways.

Because we like Sabatinis for variety! 😁 And the Italian wines.

Not a fan of the Bayou / Stirling Steakhouse / Crown Grill though.

4 hours ago, Aussieflyer said:

Agree about Coral and Crown/Bayou - it was great but thought the Majestic was pretty ordinary.

Hard to get good staff I think, and there was a lack of consistency last season. Hit & miss on Majestic for specialty meals, bar & coffee. Still, and it is pretty much the same across all of the lines, if you aren't happy with your plate you will have the choice of exchanging it or having the cover charge removed.

Edited by arxcards