Enforcement

Tutuma

On 10/27/2022 at 9:11 AM, LHT28 said:

This seems to be an ongoing problem  even pre covid  the guidelines were not being followed

If management does not care  I am not sure  anything will be done

You would think those sailing on more upscale lines would be able  to follow  some simple  rules of the evening dress code

It is not like you have to  wear  formal gowns or tux 

JMO

It's pre-Covid since we sailed but I remember when we were on Riviera in November 2017 that we noticed (only when a foursome were leaving) that they had torn jeans on ... probably t-shirts but it's been a while so I don't recall.  But I was surprised that they "passed muster" with the Maitre d'.  They were there when we arrived so ...

Had they been so attired at Waves in the afternoon or even Terrace, I don't think anyone would have been bothered.  But I do agree that a dress code should be adhered to. O's dress code is not that difficult.  I remember our first QE2 cruise (back in 2004) when gentlemen had to wear a suit virtually every night. Regulations were last stringent for women but there were a couple of formal evenings on a 14 day cruise.

We had an additional problem on Riviera that night because our  confirmed reservation was for 7:30 but they had us down for 6:30!  Even so, they found a table for us ...not in the best location but we weren't going to argue about that!  Our table happened to be next to our dressed down neighbors, otherwise we would not have noticed.

Mura

• Like 1

On 11/6/2022 at 11:22 AM, ORV said:

Hey, how do you guys feel about tattoos showing at dinner? 😶

Speaking for myself, I hate them ... but I wouldn't throw someone out of the restaurant because I could see them.

8 hours ago, Mura said:

It's pre-Covid since we sailed but I remember when we were on Riviera in November 2017 that we noticed (only when a foursome were leaving) that they had torn jeans on ... probably t-shirts but it's been a while so I don't recall.  But I was surprised that they "passed muster" with the Maitre d'.  They were there when we arrived so ...

Had they been so attired at Waves in the afternoon or even Terrace, I don't think anyone would have been bothered.  But I do agree that a dress code should be adhered to. O's dress code is not that difficult.  I remember our first QE2 cruise (back in 2004) when gentlemen had to wear a suit virtually every night. Regulations were last stringent for women but there were a couple of formal evenings on a 14 day cruise.

We had an additional problem on Riviera that night because our  confirmed reservation was for 7:30 but they had us down for 6:30!  Even so, they found a table for us ...not in the best location but we weren't going to argue about that!  Our table happened to be next to our dressed down neighbors, otherwise we would not have noticed.

Mura

So, the dressed down neighbour was more of an issue for you than the bad location??

Edited by pete_coach

On 11/8/2022 at 8:06 AM, pete_coach said:

So, the dressed down neighbour was more of an issue for you than the bad location??

I didn't say it was such an issue.  If I hadn't noticed them until they left, it wasn't a big deal.  I did notice, however.  And as to the bad location, we didn't blame the staff.  Someone screwed up and told them that our reservation was for an earlier time than it was supposed to have been.  So they found a place for us.  As far as we were concerned, a bad location was better than NO location.

Mura

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just to bump this thread.  I got my Oceania documents for our upcoming cruise and when it comes to the Grand Dining Room they use the phrase "Casual Jeans" are not permitted.

So we have to figure out what the difference is between Casual and Dress when it comes to jeans.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, zalusky said:

Just to bump this thread.  I got my Oceania documents for our upcoming cruise and when it comes to the Grand Dining Room they use the phrase "Casual Jeans" are not permitted.

So we have to figure out what the difference is between Casual and Dress when it comes to jeans.

rips   would be casual or designer ..depends where you come from 😉

On 10/28/2022 at 8:34 AM, pete_coach said:

This topic is nonsensical.

I have seen bathrobes on Celebrity at the breakfast buffet. I have also seen bathrobes in the Concierge Lounge on Oceania.

Does anyone think any dining venue will turn away Elon Musk or Mark Cuban or Richard Branson or Tim Cook? They are all T shirt and jeans wearers most of the times, even when making presentations to their shareholders.

Times and fashions change and as the on shore restaurants change, so should the on the sea cruise lines. Dress what you want but do not demand people to dress as you wish.

When Ed Sheeran was on Cunard a few years back, he was denied entry to the Queens Grill due to his slovenly dress style. He is a testament to sloppiness. Music talent or not, when you enforce a dress code you follow it like it or not. I can't speak about the smaller O ships, but on Riviera pretty much most people adhered to slacks & collared shirts. those who know me & keith would tend to agree that Riviera seems to enforce some modicum of style. Several times we saw "No jeans" sign outside Jacques. My spouse, Keith is not afraid to say something if a pax is really dressed like a slob. Torn jeans & t shirts are NOT proper attire for dinner, period! We're not talking tuxes or suits. Simply a pair of slacks(clean pressed jeans are fine) collared shirt. We do pack a sport coat for the specialty rest. but that's us. Pax who support the downslide of reasonable dress likey are among the flagrant violators of it.

• Thanks 1

On 11/6/2022 at 11:28 AM, Robjame said:

Depends.

Not a big fan of butt tats or tramp stamps showing at dinner.

I'd like to know how you saw them. They are usually covered by the pants. Tats don't really bother me. If the person is wearing a sleeveless tank top, that would be a different issue.

On 11/4/2022 at 2:27 PM, no1talks said:

I'm not on any ship's staff.

I am a tradionalist and dress for dinner by 6 pm. If in port, I plan my day to allow for a timely return to the ship for such.

We did see a gentleman wear a tux on our first Oceania cruise in 2018. Yup, he stuck out like a sore thumb. After the first night he wore the standard shirt/slicks & a sport coat. On our most recent O trip last Jan. a gentleman wore a really nice suit. He stood out, but really looked nice. He dressed that way for the duration of the cruise. With the Fedora hat he looked like a young Don Corleone.

On 11/3/2022 at 9:27 AM, LHT28 said:

If  a serious question ...NO  

But up to the Maitre'd   to allow you in or not

We'll wear sandals for breakfast & lunch, but never for dinner. For dinner usually Sperry/Timberland style dressy casual boat shoes.

On 10/31/2022 at 3:55 PM, SargassoPirate said:

For about half of my working days I wore a prescribed uniform.  The other half I wore business attire - suits with ties.  On weekends I wore shorts and T shirts, but not to an upscale restaurant.   When I ride my motorcycle I wear leathers, but not out to dinner.

When I cruise, I wear shorts and T shirts in the daytime and in the evening I put on a pair of black slacks, a black shirt, and a black sport coat if I'm eating anywhere other than a buffet or pool-side grill.

While a slob in torn jeans and a T shirt doesn't ruin my cruise, it is interesting to note what image that person is trying to project -especially since they knew they were going to be on a cruise. 

Either: "Let's see what I can get away with" or "Hey, everyone here's my impression of Onslow from keeping up appearances!"

On 10/28/2022 at 7:08 PM, 1985rz1 said:

Ah, there is no substitute for poor manners.

Glad we weren't there. My spouse would have said som

On 10/31/2022 at 10:08 AM, pete_coach said:

No, point was, to the the person I responded to, that dress does not "make the man".

Also, dressing  for dinner is no longer a "thing", on shore and should also be so on ship

Lastly that "they are slobs and likely slobs in their entirety." is also a presumption and not necessarily so. For instance,  I was very proper in meticulous Military uniform for 35 years and wore sweat pants or shorts and t shirts at home. If you saw me on a weekend or vacation, do you think I am slob in entirety?

How do you dress at a nice restaurant? or when you go out on the town. How you answer that will answer the question of your entirety.

As Keith & I have seen on Princess & other lines, those who say "tough, get over it" or I'll dress any way I choose" are most likely those who totally disregard the feelings of other pax.. Like many other responders: Yes, it does affect OUR cruise when those who feel it's their right to dress as sloppy as they wish & to hell with everyone else's feelings.  We are NOT talking formal style here, but what is considered a very reasonable attempt by an upscale cruise line to maintain an easy & appropriate dress code. To those who disagree, perhaps you should choose another line.

image.jpeg.6fae541541a6d01462687611bac6a69b.jpeg
  When there are 7 posts in a row by the same person, it is a pretty good indication that all has been said that needs to be said. 

‘’this thread is dead, deceased, it lives no more and is not simply pining for the fjords.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, rbtan said:

Glad we weren't there. My spouse would have said som

How do you dress at a nice restaurant? or when you go out on the town. How you answer that will answer the question of your entirety.

Again, the person I was dressing used the term "entirety". My use of the word was to emphasis that what one does in one place does not define the person. 

I wear what I like when we go out. Sometimes it is my Mess Kit.  Sometimes it is slacks and polo shirt, sometimes jeans and shirt, sometimes even shorts and a T shirt (no logos). Rarely a suit and tie or even a sports coat although, just the other day I went to Mortons Steakhouse in Atlanta and wore a sport coat, T shirt and jeans and was better dressed than many that night.

I live in a large city and there are very few places that have or enforce a dress code nowadays.

My point was that the onboard dress should reflect what is accepted on shore. I am not a traditionalist. Times change and I believe we must change with them.

Edited by pete_coach

1 hour ago, Robjame said:
  When there are 7 posts in a row by the same person, it is a pretty good indication that all has been said that needs to be said. 

‘’this thread is dead, deceased, it lives no more and is not simply pining for the fjords.

It has passed on, gone to meet it's maker, rung down the curtain and joined the choir invisible.  It has ceased to be. This is an ex thread.  

• Haha 2

Nice to see that people still have a sense of humor.  Sadly, the people who dress slovenly probably never read the cruise info or anything on cruisecritic. They really don’t care what you think about what they wear. They’re going to wear whatever they want.  If Oceania ignores its own dress code, just accept it.  

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Robjame said:

Sorry, I was late to the forum. So I did a lot of posts, so yes it's now an ex Parrot. Bereft of life. It would be pushing up the daisies if not nailed to the perch.

• Haha 2