Will he board with us?

mcatmcat

1 hour ago, Ret MP said:

The only thing that I've seen in writing is the signs that state, "Star Class", "Suite Class", or Whatever Class.  I don't think I've read one once that said, "Star Class & Family and/or Friends", "Suite Class & Family and/or Friends", "Whatevers & Family and/or Friends" or "Entitled Class" & Family and/or Friends.  

I could be wrong, but I think the signs are fairly clear.  

On my favorite airline, if you have special boarding status you can bring 3 other "friends and family" with you. I have never seen that for a cruise line, but I have never purchased a suite.  Perhaps the suite cruisers know what the rule is for Royal. 

3 minutes ago, DirtyDawg said:

On my favorite airline, if you have special boarding status you can bring 3 other "friends and family" with you. I have never seen that for a cruise line, but I have never purchased a suite.  Perhaps the suite cruisers know what the rule is for Royal. 

I have stayed in suites numerous times. Allowing other people to board with you has never been a perk. 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, DirtyDawg said:

I'm generally a Star Class Cruiser (not bragging, just fact).  I know I have never brought anyone in the line with us that weren't Star Class.  I have never done it.  Like I said above, I don't think the signs say anything about Friends and/or Family.  And, I don't think there is a written public policy/rule about it.  By not having a written public policy/rule they have the flexibility to appease the Squeaky Wheels amongst us. 

I do think the right thing to do is not bring anyone who is not in a suite with you through the suite line. Your points are all valid. It also sounds like some of you are saying “even if you ask and a RC rep tells you its okay, you are still wrong”.  That’s where we might disagree. I wouldn’t want anyone who really is innocently asking a question to be judged and accused of rule-breaking.  These boards are great because you can get answers to questions you won’t find on the RC website or in their policies.  I’m pretty sure the OP knows what the suite police has to say now LOL! 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, slyster said:

I do think the right thing to do is not bring anyone who is not in a suite with you through the suite line. Your points are all valid. It also sounds like some of you are saying “even if you ask and a RC rep tells you its okay, you are still wrong”.  That’s where we might disagree. I wouldn’t want anyone who really is innocently asking a question to be judged and accused of rule-breaking.  These boards are great because you can get answers to questions you won’t find on the RC website or in their policies.  I’m pretty sure the OP knows what the suite police has to say now LOL! 

I mildly disagree with one thing:

You, me, everyone that has paid for, earned a benefit knows that we earned it or paid for it.  So, I don't think that it is possible to "innocently ask" if a friend(s) and/or Family can accompany you if you know they haven't earned or paid for it.  

Also, I wouldn't feel very good about myself if I asked an employee or crew member to do something against the policy/rules.  First, you are putting the employee between a rock and a hard place.  Do they satisfy a customer's request or follow the rules/policies.  And if you manage to get the employee/crew member to give in to your request, are you putting him./her into jeopardy of adverse disciplinary action, up to and including termination.  

JMHO

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DirtyDawg said:

As a frequent flyer who earns my benefits by grinding out 80 flight segments a year, this drives me absolutely bonkers when people do it.  

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

I mildly disagree with one thing:

You, me, everyone that has paid for, earned a benefit knows that we earned it or paid for it.  So, I don't think that it is possible to "innocently ask" if a friend(s) and/or Family can accompany you if you know they haven't earned or paid for it.  

Also, I wouldn't feel very good about myself if I asked an employee or crew member to do something against the policy/rules.  First, you are putting the employee between a rock and a hard place.  Do they satisfy a customer's request or follow the rules/policies.  And if you manage to get the employee/crew member to give in to your request, are you putting him./her into jeopardy of adverse disciplinary action, up to and including termination.  

JMHO

Valid point. Someone else earlier said the suite perk is priority boarding so I definitely understand where you are coming from.  However, in my scenario, I’m not asking someone to go against policy or rules. If I approached a rep politely and asked if it was okay (without knowing the answer), and they say yes, sure, then they are in the wrong for allowing it.  Why would it be hard for them to say “sorry, no they will need to meet you on the ship”.  I mean we are in this thread because someone asked.  Whether they ask here or at the pier doesn’t matter. I don’t believe the OP would be “wrong” for asking someone at the pier if it was okay.  If the workers would just follow and enforce rules, it would be much easier, but you have people here who have said they have had others join them in suite line. Sure, they are wrong, but sure is the rep who told them it was okay.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, slyster said:

Valid point. Someone else earlier said the suite perk is priority boarding so I definitely understand where you are coming from.  However, in my scenario, I’m not asking someone to go against policy or rules. If I approached a rep politely and asked if it was okay (without knowing the answer), and they say yes, sure, then they are in the wrong for allowing it.  Why would it be hard for them to say “sorry, no they will need to meet you on the ship”.  I mean we are in this thread because someone asked.  Whether they ask here or at the pier doesn’t matter. I don’t believe the OP would be “wrong” for asking someone at the pier if it was okay.  If the workers would just follow and enforce rules, it would be much easier, but you have people here who have said they have had others join them in suite line. Sure, they are wrong, but sure is the rep who told them it was okay.

But knowing it is not allowed but asking anyway is asking someone if it is okay to go against the policy or rule. 

I disagree with your statement that is not wrong for the OP to ask someone at the pier if going against that policy or rule is okay.

But as they say, opinions are like noses and the all smell different. (Or other variations along the same theme) 

3 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

But knowing it is not allowed but asking anyway is asking someone if it is okay to go against the policy or rule. 

Who says it is not allowed?

Where is the RCI policy?

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

I have stayed in suites numerous times. Allowing other people to board with you has never been a perk. 

Thanks. Do they say it in writing you can't bring anyone else or is it just understood? 

And go Philly's!

Now that my Blue Jays are out of the hunt (if they were ever actually in the hunt) for the World Series I'm cheering for the Philly's. While I'm at it Go Eagles Go! 6 - 0 is a really good start to the NFL season. 

Edited by DirtyDawg

7 hours ago, dolfan1980 said:

As a frequent flyer who earns my benefits by grinding out 80 flight segments a year, this drives me absolutely bonkers when people do it.  

So you don't travel with others?   You let your wife board later when you board early?

8 hours ago, dolfan1980 said:

On some flights it seems like everyone is priority class!  But I have never had any issue finding a place for my carryon or seating in the lounge before the flight, so it doesn't bother me much. If it did, I might switch airlines but, of course, the new airline might have a similar policy.

Edited by DirtyDawg

1 hour ago, DirtyDawg said:

Thanks. Do they say it in writing you can't bring anyone else or is it just understood? 

And go Philly's!

Now that my Blue Jays are out of the hunt (if they were ever actually in the hunt) for the World Series I'm cheering for the Philly's. While I'm at it Go Eagles Go! 6 - 0 is a really good start to the NFL season. 

RCI’s website states passengers staying in suites get priority boarding. It doesn’t say anything about passengers in suites can allow non-suite passengers to board with them. 

As for the Blue Jays, I still haven’t gotten over Joe Carter’s home run in game six of the 1993 WS. Hopefully the Phillies continue their home winning streak in the playoffs. Splitting the first two games was a pretty good start, considering both Nola and Wheeler didn’t pitch their best. 

This post shows how society is today…….. entitled.
Some people - thankfully not everyone - don’t seem to care about anyone but themselves, and feel they should get what they want, because they deserve it, regardless of how it affects anyone else.
We see it everywhere. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, lovesthebeach2 said:

This post shows how society is today…….. entitled.
Some people - thankfully not everyone - don’t seem to care about anyone but themselves, and feel they should get what they want, because they deserve it, regardless of how it affects anyone else.
We see it everywhere. 

Just to be clear, the OP asked what I think is a genuine question because they didn’t know the answer. PCUR is the one who basically said they are entitled to additional perks because they are a Pinnacle. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Another_Critic said:

There are many posts on CC where the OP knows the rule, but ask hoping they will get support for ignoring the rule.

You might be right.  They asked, “do you think they can board with us”.  That means you are interpreting the question and making assumptions.  I don’t like assumptions when we don’t know the OP or what they were thinking. 

I get it though…some do ask in hopes of getting permission.  A new one we see often is my check is time is later, “do you think it’s okay if I show up earlier”.  Folks are showing up earlier because depending on the port, the RC reps are allowing it while some ports are enforcing it.

All this goes back to my opinion, its the RC rep who needs to be consistent.  We could have nipped this thread in the bud if everyone said, “no, they don’t allow it”, but you have people who were told yes.

I definitely get what you are saying though. Suite line is for people who booked suites. I don’t disagree with that.

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

Just to be clear, the OP asked what I think is a genuine question because they didn’t know the answer. PCUR is the one who basically said they are entitled to additional perks because they are a Pinnacle. 

This has been my point all along. A genuine question asked at the pier and a RC rep says, “yes, sure they can join you…right this way!”  People are making assumptions on the OPs intent in asking the question.  This is problem nowadays…we don’t know people and yet we make assumptions on what they their intentions were.  

3 hours ago, SRF said:

Who says it is not allowed?

Where is the RCI policy?

The signs in the terminal say it.  The Suite Guest line is for Suite Guest.  

Does the sign on the Mens bathroom say women are not allowed?   Seriously.  

3 hours ago, SRF said:

So you don't travel with others?   You let your wife board later when you board early?

When my wife travels with me, she has the same boarding status that I do so we board together.

17 hours ago, slyster said:

to me it’s the RC rep. They probably don’t care which is why they allow it or say it’s fine. It’s the same as the MDR host who says you can wear whatever you want on formal night or the pool attendant who ignores the person hogging a chair. 

If I have no idea what the rules are and I walk up to a RC rep and ask if it’s okay if my family or friends follow me through the suite line and they say “sure it is! Happy cruising” I would not be in the wrong.  For all I know it’s ok. 

I get what you are saying though. My point is not blaming the cruiser or guest, but instead blame the royal Caribbean rep for giving false information. I personally will not take a non suite guest through a suite line because it does feel like cheating (only because the CC suite police said so). We can board separately or in the other line. Im

trying to get you to see whose passing along wrong information.  

My least favorite word:  BLAME.

To me it’s meaning is “I don’t want to or will not take responsibility, it’s someone else’s fault”

Not sure what this is all about.  I think most adults can read and it says Suite Line.  OP will take his friends in the suite line because he feels entitled to.  If I were the friend I would feel out of place because I did not earn the suite line.  And even though most posts said "no" he will do what he feels entitled to.  We ran into this when Star Class first came out.  People in whatever line it was would complain, and complain loudly, when our genie would get us to the front of the line.  Our genie simply told them they could go to the front of the line if they paid the money to do so.  And we have sailed with friends who did not have Star Class and we always met them somewhere on board at a specific time.  We are all adults and I think we can find our way without having to infringe on being in a line we have not qualilfied for, or a lounge that we should not be in.  Which makes me ask...will the OP start asking if he can take his non-suite friends into the suite lounge because he is entitled to because he is in a suite.  Seriously, cannot we just follow the rules and not try to get something for family or friends that was not paid for.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SRF said:

A spouse on the same reservation is able to board with you, the same as in this case the person in your cabin can go in the line with you.  But if I'm with five co-workers, I either board with them in their zone or I leave them and board in mine.  I don't try to take 5 extra non-status people with me.  

2 hours ago, slyster said:

This has been my point all along. A genuine question asked at the pier and a RC rep says, “yes, sure they can join you…right this way!”  People are making assumptions on the OPs intent in asking the question.  This is problem nowadays…we don’t know people and yet we make assumptions on what they their intentions were.  

PCUR asked the question because she knew it wasn’t allowed. She was using her Pinnacle status to “intimidate” the employee. There is no assumption here. She wouldn’t have asked the question otherwise. 

Fortunately not every Pinnacle is like PCUR. Can you imagine if 300 PInnacles all wanted to bring 3 friends along with them when they boarded?That would mean 900 people would board the ship before people like me who are Diamond Plus and Diamond. That isn’t right in my book. 

I will bet my last dollar PCUR is one of those Pinnacles who always wears their Pinnacle name tag every where on the ship and expects special treatment just like she does when it comes to boarding procedures. 

• Like 3