Unable to upgrade message

Markanddonna

I have an "unable to upgrade" on my request even though they allowed me to increase my bid just now. There are 87 cabins still available in the category I am requesting. NCL just gave me the email for upgrade tech issues but they haven't replied (not a surprise.) 

Has anyone seen this problem before?  Others on my cruise have already gone from inside to balcony.

31 minutes ago, Markanddonna said:

I have an "unable to upgrade" on my request even though they allowed me to increase my bid just now. There are 87 cabins still available in the category I am requesting. NCL just gave me the email for upgrade tech issues but they haven't replied (not a surprise.) 

Has anyone seen this problem before?  Others on my cruise have already gone from inside to balcony.

How far from your embarkation date are you?

This is relatively new that rolled out within the last 4 to 6 months for upgrade bids, as NCL's vendor doing the processing & accpetance of bids continued to fine-tune and tweak the selections of bids.  Officially, they have until 1 day prior to embarkation to process and upgrade the bids, but continue to hold off on those "sorry, your bids were not accepted" (which used to be pushed out via email at 48 hours).  This isn't a "problem" per se and is is just nail-biting ... yes.  As you could find out that they upgraded your at the pier and/or until you are onboard on Day 1 - advantage to NCL, they get to "grab" all the money offered by the bidders, whereas you can cancel or withdraw your still "pending" offer up until 5 hours or so before embarkation ... (don't recall the specific wordings used, will look for them & amend this post, if I can)

There is still hope and the chance that you bid can go thru ... of course, they also see it as an opportunity to entice & solicit you, to bump your offered bid(s) higher, in hope of winning that last cabin remaining in the inventory pool.

On our September cruise on the Joy, we had an excellent "BA" location on Deck 15 and really didn't care for the club ("mini") balcony upgrade - but, put in (quietly & not a word to others on the roll call at all) the lowest, poor "minimum" bid for the sailing - just to see & learn a bit more about the changes forthcoming.  We weren't surprised at pier check-in nor onboard the ship shortly thereafter, knowing full well by late afternoon's sailaway time that we didn't have to repack or move to another cabin.  

Good luck & you still have several days to wait & see how this go ... enjoy the cruise, regardless. 

#   #   #

This "official" email was issued at 6 p.m. local time on the date of our sailing / cruise ... we're already underway, left the cruise terminal about an hour earlier.  Ship was at 70% double occupancies but Haven categories were all filled & sold out ... and, packed upstairs.  

Unfortunately, we were not able to accept your offer to upgrade to Club Balcony Suite for your cruise below.

Sail Date Ship Offer per guest
Sep 16, 2022 Norwegian Joy
(only the first and second guest will be charged)

(Note: Prices shown are in US Dollars.)

What happens now?

• Your original stateroom is unchanged and you need to do nothing.
  • Your credit card will not be charged.

Edited by mking8288

Recently, upgrades continue until departure time using rooms cancelled at the last minute or no-shows (mainly due to COVID). We got our final "reject" notification about an hour after sailing last month. 

This email is to confirm that we have received your offer(s) to be upgraded on your upcoming cruise. While your offer has not been selected yet, you may still be selected for an upgrade by our onboard team.

Upgrades may be awarded at any time up until 0 hours prior to the sailing departure. Should your offer be selected for an onboard upgrade, your credit card will be automatically charged, and your stateroom will be reassigned. Please check your email up to 0 hours prior to the sailing departure to see if we were able to upgrade you.

If you no longer wish to be considered for an onboard upgrade, you may cancel your offer(s) through the link provided below up until 5 hours prior to the sailing departure, provided that your Offer has not already been accepted by Norwegian Cruise Line, and provided that your credit card has not been charged.

1 hour ago, RD64 said:

You could always just pay to upgrade the actual amount if that is the cat3gory you really want.

Not really. We tried to pay for an upgrade yesterday, and we were told we couldn't pay for the upgrade because we were to close to sailing, that's what our TA told us. We were trying to pay for a Club suite.

17 minutes ago, spanishguy1970 said:

Not really. We tried to pay for an upgrade yesterday, and we were told we couldn't pay for the upgrade because we were to close to sailing, that's what our TA told us. We were trying to pay for a Club suite.

Yeah, the inventories are locked for the bidding upgrades and the control of the reservations are transferred to the ship before departure. Basically, trying to change your reservation the week before cruise is too late. 

2 hours ago, spanishguy1970 said:

Well we are leaving tomorrow for our cruise on the 1st. Our bids are still pending, and quite frankly don't hold too much hope since the categories we bid for are already sold out...

"Sold out" doesn't mean anything for bids. We won a bid for the garden villa on a cruise that had it listed as sold out for months. Notified the night before we flew to Spain for the trip.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, travelgip said:

On this topic - I bid for an upgrade on 1/21-1/28/23 cruise on the Escape.  When I log into NCL app & website I don't see anywhere where I can see my bid or status.  Any advise please?

Go back through the Room Upgrades link just as though you were going to bid on another room.  You will have to re-insert your last name and booking confirmation number.  The next page should show you your most recent bid.  (You can also click or swipe right to see the other available items for bid in case you want to bid on two staterooms at once.)  There won't be any status updates until just under a week before embarkation when they start to award the bids.

Edited by EvanBedar
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, EvanBedar said:

Go back through the Room Upgrades link just as though you were going to bid on another room.  You will have to re-insert your last name and booking confirmation number.  The next page should show you your most recent bid.  (You can also click or swipe right to see the other available items for bid in case you want to bid on two staterooms at once.)

Thank you!

• Like 1

On 10/31/2022 at 8:37 PM, alwalaska said:

So, what happens with live bidding wars.  I'm new to all if this. 

You are given a list of available cabins in certain categories.

Mine were all Haven cabins.

7 to be exact I think.

There is a box for you to type in a bid.

So type a bid and hit "place bid"

Instantly you get either a "your winning" or "you have been outbid, bid again"

If your winning and someone outbids you they send a courtesy email which is basically you are a loser now now so bid again.

At some point they close it. For me it was 6 days prior.

At that point I was only winning one category as it got stupid.

I was over $15,000 bid on a few categories and would not go higher. Keep in mind mine was a 21 night cruise.

Now granted, a $32,000+ room for under $20,000 including what I already paid was still good even bidding $15,000.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1