Beyond 10/26/22 sailing, some observations

kwokpot

11 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

Fun observations as the ship transitions from Europe to the Caribbean:

*President French butter giving way to Wisconsin Dairy brand Grassland Butter.

*European sized toilet paper giving way to American style TP.

Indeed, enjoy these fun observations.

2 hours ago, kwokpot said:

*European sized toilet paper giving way to American style TP.

Lol, ok, now you have me wondering. I've been to most of Europe and for the life of me don't remember and differences in TP. What exactly do you mean? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, alyssamma said:

Lol, ok, now you have me wondering. I've been to most of Europe and for the life of me don't remember and differences in TP. What exactly do you mean? 

It's smaller and WAY, WAY, WAY less sheets per roll. Many times when I stay in a hotel in Spain or Italy we'll go through 2 rolls of TP in 1.5 days. I would estimate 30 sheets in a roll of European TP. There's no such thing as a jumbo roll of TP. Furthermore Spaniards and Italians don't seem to use facial tissue the way Americans do. They generally don't have regular sized tissues;what they use is what Americans call pocket size packs. Go to any grocery store in Spain and Italy and you'll find multiple types of pocket size facial tissue but no 'normal' size box of tissues. A jumbo box of 330 regular size tissues? Doesn't exist. In fact MSC cruises doesn't provide facial tissues in their cabins unless you ask for it. 

2 hours ago, kwokpot said:

I LOVE the President butter 🧈, in fact I buy it at home (at a premium price) for a special ‘treat’ every now and then. I had also observed that Celebrity has President butter on European sailings and a different brand on other sailings. 
Thanks for making me smile 😀 by mentioning President butter! 💛

9 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

It's smaller and WAY, WAY, WAY less sheets per roll. Many times when I stay in a hotel in Spain or Italy we'll go through 2 rolls of TP in 1.5 days. I would estimate 30 sheets in a roll of European TP. There's no such thing as a jumbo roll of TP. Furthermore Spaniards and Italians don't seem to use facial tissue the way Americans do. They generally don't have regular sized tissues;what they use is what Americans call pocket size packs. Go to any grocery store in Spain and Italy and you'll find multiple types of pocket size facial tissue but no 'normal' size box of tissues. A jumbo box of 330 regular size tissues? Doesn't exist. In fact MSC cruises doesn't provide facial tissues in their cabins unless you ask for it. 

Facial tissues I get and we sail MSC so am very familiar with that. I guess the less sheets thing never clicked to me because sometimes in the US cheapo TP is the same way. Also, rarely have I been in a grocery store.

Anyway, thanks for the explanation! 

Talking about butter.   Are they the full size pats just wrapped in foil or the small tub with the peal off top.   We had the small ones last week on Summit and they should have brought me a trash can for the wrappers by the time I was done with my bread (oh I mean butter transport food)😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

16 minutes ago, alyssamma said:

Facial tissues I get and we sail MSC so am very familiar with that. I guess the less sheets thing never clicked to me because sometimes in the US cheapo TP is the same way. Also, rarely have I been in a grocery store.

Anyway, thanks for the explanation! 

Welcome! We have 3 rolls of European TP and 3 rolls of American TP in our bathroom. Today is Day 5 and we opened the 1st roll of American TP having gone through the 3 rolls of European TP. 

• Haha 2

49 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

Welcome! We have 3 rolls of European TP and 3 rolls of American TP in our bathroom. Today is Day 5 and we opened the 1st roll of American TP having gone through the 3 rolls of European TP. 

All the TP in our stateroom has been the same to me since the beginning... No large rolls but no super small either. 

Edited to say my wife has corrected me. She said she noticed them being smaller than normal. I guess that shows what I pay attention to and what I don't 😀

Edited by alyssamma
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Jimbo59 said:

We are on Beyond now. I agree it is a beautiful ship. But Celebrity has a mixed personality. There are many upscale shops (but why would anyone buy jewelry on a cruise ship and pay more than a fine jewelry shop on land).

Not everyone who sail on the ships are from the same country.  Perhaps there are no fine jewelry shops in the country.  

45 minutes ago, Stem to Stern said:

The ceilings looks really high in the Oceanview compared to S- and M-class ships.

The buffet on E-class ships are an asymmetrical design. The main food station areas and one side where the tables are have double height ceilings. On the other side of the food stations the seating area is single height. That's why we prefer to sit at the tables in the double height ceiling section by the panoramic windows. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Jimbo59 said:

I agree that the IV cabin in not a balcony cabin. Today  at 10:30 am the IV window is locked closed because???. Maybe rough seas?

Is this common, and how long did it stay locked? That would be very bothersome to me. If i paid for paid Verandah, i want to be all to feel out in the air. I do get seasick at times and the wind in my face is the best salve. 

15 hours ago, kwokpot said:

All you can do is spend a few minutes standing around admiring the views. As previously mentioned one change in the Spa on the  Beyond are additional lockers in the changing room which I presume is the reason the Beyond allows all passengers access to the Spa locker rooms vs the Edge and Apex where they are supposed to be only for those with a treatment or thermal suite access (That was told to me by the Spa desk people on the Edge & Apex). 

Since all passengers have access to the spa locker rooms, does this make the thermal suite feel crowded and less of a relaxing escape? This ship is the best option for us for our dates. if we book, i was planning on Aquaclass bc the access to thermal suite and the access to Blu because have celiac disease (gluten free). Blu sounds like an option where i might be able to better avoid gluten contamination than larger dining rooms, but i don't know. Any opinion on Blu or Aquaclass? 

12 hours ago, kwokpot said:

Maybe Celebrity should be installing heated bidet seats 😉😁

I know it would make my wife happy if they were on all the toilets 

This in model we have at home 

https://www.cleantouch.ca

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TravelingCircusof5 said:

Is this common, and how long did it stay locked? That would be very bothersome to me. If i paid for paid Verandah, i want to be all to feel out in the air. I do get seasick at times and the wind in my face is the best salve. 

It was closed several times when the Management considered the weather to be a problem. There is no announcement when it takes place.

13 hours ago, kwokpot said:

In fact MSC cruises doesn't provide facial tissues in their cabins unless you ask for it. 

Perhaps not in all cabins. The first item of business when we get to any cabin is to clean and check all drawers. this is from our cabin October 8-15 2022 sailing. We are booked for the same type of suite on the Beyond for our Thanksgiving in a few weeks, will bring an extra roll of TP and tissues. Also please notice the abundance of towels, face cloths were folded next to the Lysol spray.

P.S. I believe that any cruise line would appreciate one using only one ply TP and not using 2 ply or tissues put into the system and clogging the pipes.

IMG_1953.jpg

IMG_2256.jpg

IMG_2257.jpg

Edited by morpheusofthesea
P.S.

I’m not sure TP from home is a good idea.   I’ve read where the TP on ships is able to be processed by the ship’s sanitary system where Charmin, etc. may be an issue.  No one wants their toilet backing up!  😜

• Like 5

37 minutes ago, morpheusofthesea said:

Perhaps not in all cabins. The first item of business when we get to any cabin is to clean and check all drawers. this is from our cabin October 8-15 2022 sailing. We are booked for the same type of suite on the Beyond for our Thanksgiving in a few weeks, will bring an extra roll of TP and tissues. Also please notice the abundance of towels, face cloths were folded next to the Lysol spray.

P.S. I believe that any cruise line would appreciate one using only one ply TP and not using 2 ply or tissues put into the system and clogging the pipes.

IMG_1953.jpg

IMG_2256.jpg

IMG_2257.jpg

The TP in your bathroom is what I'm calling the American TP since it's wrapper says where it's from. The TP I'm calling European was unwrapped, about half as many sheets, narrower in width, and single ply with a totally different texture. 

The facial tissue in our room is also different from yours. It's the upright boutique style and surprisingly it's labeled as manufactured in Italy. 

22 hours ago, Jimbo59 said:

And the dining rooms are not open on port days for lunch, only the Oceanview Cafe.

This is a big factor in our decision making. We do not eat off the ships in any port and always return to the ship for lunch. Tend never to eat at buffets because they are self-serve as well, so we are limited. Any restaurants open while in port for lunch?

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, Jimbo59 said:

I agree that the IV cabin in not a balcony cabin. Today  at 10:30 am the IV window is locked closed because???. Maybe rough seas?

Perhaps it is because people are forgetful and there is no overhang to prevent wind from forcing rain into and damaging the interior of cabin and cabins below as well.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, morpheusofthesea said:

This is a big factor in our decision making. We do not eat off the ships in any port and always return to the ship for lunch. Tend never to eat at buffets because they are self-serve as well, so we are limited. Any restaurants open while in port for lunch?

What have you done on prior X cruises? Restaurants closed on port days is typical fleet-wide.

6 minutes ago, RichYak said:

What have you done on prior X cruises? Restaurants closed on port days is typical fleet-wide.

Well for the last year we have been in the Yacht Club on the Seashore and have eaten in the open YC restaurant, except for Ocean Cay day when we book a reservation at Hola Tacos on board. What restaurants are open on the new Beyond these port days?

I recall once getting room service but we both did not like the fare. Another time we had to eat our Retreat lunch at the pool deck bent over on a lounge chair as there were no tables. Found we enjoy sit down meals in air conditioning with no port flies joining our lunch.

Edited by morpheusofthesea
P.S.

17 minutes ago, morpheusofthesea said:

Le Grand Bistro is open on Port days. I don't know any mainstream cruiseline that opens MDRs for lunch during port days. There's not enough passengers on the ship to warrant it. 

Edited by kwokpot
  • Thanks 1

Here are photos of the areas right outside the four main dining rooms. The first photo is Deck 4 outside Cosmopolitan and Cyprus, the second photo is Deck 3 right outside Normandie and Tuscan. For a ship where every inch is designed and decorated these areas standout as unfinished. 

PXL_20221031_133045823.jpg

PXL_20221031_133146320~2.jpg

• Like 1