Beyond 10/26/22 sailing, some observations

kwokpot

19 minutes ago, morpheusofthesea said:

I thought you were in the Yacht Club recently ?

19 minutes ago, morpheusofthesea said:

I thought you were in the Yacht Club recently ?

No, I was in a balcony suite Aurea (that's what MSC calls it) which is the best cabin level below Yacht club on the Seashore. 

Edited by kwokpot
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Thanks for your thoughts on Beyond.   

I'm curious of one thing.   Maybe its something I just haven't noticee.   What is the difference between - European sized toilet paper and  American style TP.

It can be said that Europeans use less personal paper products than Americans. It could be attributed to different plumbing standards and the use of bidets in some Southern Europe countries. In any case next time you're in Spain or Italy checkout a grocery store and look at the paper products section. TP is in much smaller rolls, firmer in composition, and smaller in dimensions. In Spain many hotels supply TP that has 30-50 squares. 

https://www.urdesignmag.com/tips/2020/09/26/6-big-differences-between-american-toilets-and-european-toilets/

Edited by kwokpot

*Blu. We're quite impressed with Blu on the Beyond. One major change here on the Beyond is the removal of two lifeboats from blocking the ocean views from the restaurant. Now the majority of the windows have seaviews and the curtains are left open during both breakfast and dinner. Service has been excellent and so have the meals. Last night I had the Lobster Salad as an appetizer and the Strip steak salad (For the uninitiated it's a whole steak with a plated salad, not sliced steak on a bed of salad) and both were outstanding. The lobster and noodles were full of flavor and a touch of spiciness. My Strip steak was cooked to the requested medium rare and it had a beautiful char on the outside and tender and juicy on the inside. It was a nice, fairly thick cut considering it wasn't a surcharged entree. It was our third meal there (the other two nights were in the MDRs with my parents) and they seated us with the same servers without needing to be requested. The sommelier is attentive and friendly. We only had to wait for a table in day one but otherwise Blu hasn't been crowded when we go to eat around 7pm. If you request they will bring you the MDR menu with the everyday classics and rotating nightly choices. We had no issues with dining at the other MDRs and last night we met a couple in Blu who were actually in Retreat but they enjoyed Blu more so they have been eating at Blu more than Luminae. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, kwokpot said:

No, I was in a balcony suite Aurea (that's what MSC calls it) which is the best cabin level below Yacht club on the Seashore. 

Your review of the Beyond thus far is AMAZING - thank you very much. We sail on her end of November & appreciate all of your insight. We are trying to keep an open mind as we  are used to and very much enjoy the “S” class ships. Glad to hear you are enjoying the cruise & hope your parents are as well! 

Interesting to read above that you were on the Seashore in Aurea. We are considering the Seascape in Aurea  next year from Miami. If appropriate, your thoughts on food , service, entertainment, etc… 

NY Yankee fans here, but yes, LETS GO PHILLIES!!! Better get to Craft Social early tonight!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bandp407 said:

Interesting to read above that you were on the Seashore in Aurea. We are considering the Seascape in Aurea  next year from Miami. If appropriate, your thoughts on food , service, entertainment, etc

I'll post a separate review on the MSC board. 

Edited by kwokpot

*Fun observation:

Potential supply chain issues? In the Oceanview Cafe besides the coffee mugs branded with Lavazza there are also mugs from Ikea??? I knew the shape of the mug looked familiar and when I looked at the bottom, low and behold Ikea's most basic coffee mugs! 🤷

Edited by kwokpot

Good news about   BLU ..the food service and view!

Do you think a suite guest could get in at opening time???

Or at least for breakfast one day?  

The wrapped  teas in the buffet seem  quite varied.. They will  be fine for a quick cup.   I  prefer the Tea Forte in the afternoon at Cafe Baccio for a  nice break ....with biscotti or almond cookies

48 minutes ago, hcat said:

Good news about   BLU ..the food service and view!

Do you think a suite guest could get in at opening time???

Or at least for breakfast one day?  

The wrapped  teas in the buffet seem  quite varied.. They will  be fine for a quick cup.   I  prefer the Tea Forte in the afternoon at Cafe Baccio for a  nice break ....with biscotti or almond cookies

Happy to report that Tea Forte is on the Beyond at Cafe Al Bacio (Note as with other other E-class ships Tea Forte is not available at Segundo Bacio) as well as the custom teapots (although when my husband and I had tea he had the teapot lid with the hole for the teabag stem but mine didn't!🙁)

8 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

Happy to report that Tea Forte is on the Beyond at Cafe Al Bacio (Note as with other other E-class ships Tea Forte is not available at Segundo Bacio) as well as the custom teapots (although when my husband and I had tea he had the teapot lid with the hole for the teabag stem but mine didn't!🙁)

Thanks..it has become  a cruising ritual for us and we have the teas at home..along with a great teapot.

On 10/30/2022 at 8:51 AM, kwokpot said:

... Craft Social is a nicely designed space that resembles a fancy private home living room or family room. Unfortunately it's too small of a space for a ship this size. There are many expensive homes with living rooms or family rooms larger than Craft Social. We have the World Series going on now - GO Phillies!!! - and people are spilling out into the walkways to watch the game...

You commented that Craft Social was too small with people spilling out of it during the World Series.  Did you happen to notice if the World Class Bar was also crowded during that time since I don't think there are TVs on the walls in there. Might be more enjoyable if one does not care about the World Series.

*Great energy on the ship for Halloween. Going to the show now, then Halloween party at the Grand Plaza. Everyone in a happy, joyous mood! Some great costumes! 

Photo:Captain Berkowitz of the USS Beyond;Shang Chi, first Chinese Marvel Comics Superhero! 

PXL_20221101_001045829~2.jpg

• Like 7

On 10/31/2022 at 12:40 AM, alyssamma said:

All the TP in our stateroom has been the same to me since the beginning... No large rolls but no super small either. 

Edited to say my wife has corrected me. She said she noticed them being smaller than normal. I guess that shows what I pay attention to and what I don't 😀

X claims that the paper is specially made to meet the requirements of the onboard plumbing system.

In answer to the facial tissue post, these are available in numerous size boxes /packets in all supermarkets. Smaller outlets may choose to sell just the smaller packs to meet the requirements of their regular customers. The same applies to TP which is available in dozens of different types in all supermarkets 

• Like 1

*The pool on the Beyond is indeed narrower than on the previous E-class ships. On the previous ships the in pool loungers were located on a lip along the portside edge of the pool. On the Beyond they are located on a lip along the aft edge of the pool.  Check out the the uploaded photos of the Edge(1st two) vs Beyond(3rd) pools. 

Edit:The actual swimming part of the pool is probably the same, it's the location of the shallow lips for the loungers that's changed and narrowed the overall pool. 

IMG_20181220_111914481.thumb.jpg.74e6c195304086150608612de12f38c5.jpgIMG_20181218_151642058_HDR.thumb.jpg.5eaea223a1cb38e273f22608808dcad9.jpg969476318_PXL_20221101_1510479092.thumb.jpg.bfc08c994594b017c087619c7137a1fa.jpg

Edited by kwokpot
  • Like 1

*The entertainment on the Beyond has been outstanding. I thought there would be no equal to the production show ARTE but Beyond has another winner with ELEMENTS. As with Arte it was the synergy of the individual performers, production, and the theater itself to produce a show that was breathtaking.

I also watched the show The Jazz Joint at the Club and it too was a great show with a Supper club feel to it. 

• Like 5

*After the late showing of Elements (the 8pm was cancelled due to an issue - I think it was an injury - and the late show was delayed a bit due to the cast working out the issues) I attempted to checkout the Halloween parade and contest at the Grand Plaza. It seemed as if the whole ship was there. It was a bit overwhelming, TBH so I did a few rounds to checkout the costumes and then left the Grand Plaza. The Martini Bar was too packed for comfort. 

PXL_20221101_024506939~2.jpg

PXL_20221101_024840820.jpg

PXL_20221101_024829617.jpg

Edited by kwokpot
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

*The entertainment on the Beyond has been outstanding. I thought there would be no equal to the production show ARTE but Beyond has another winner with ELEMENTS. As with Arte it was the synergy of the individual performers, production, and the theater itself to produce a show that was breathtaking.

I also watched the show The Jazz Joint at the Club and it too was a great show with a Supper club feel to it. 

I found the two shows to be great, but too loud. I had to put in earplugs to save my hearing.

7 hours ago, kwokpot said:

Can’t wait to board her November 20th. I love attending a great show fêter dinner on a ship. It’s just makes it a perfect night. Would you happen to know what time are the Mai. Theatre shows at ? 

Thanks 

Sea ya 

Eric

Hello Kwokpot,

First this is a very informative review with just enough and precise content. 

Here are a few questions for you and fellow peeps on this sailing.

How is the wait time in the MDR for folks without reservations ? 

Has anyone tested the pagers at the Martini bar, Eden or World Class Bar ?

Speaking of the WCB how’s the service and drinks there ? Would you happen to have taken any pictures ? 

Thanks for the review loving it.

Boarding for me will be November 20th.

Sea Ya 

Eric