Vancouver: Pan Pacific or Fairmont Waterfront?

Sigyn

I've booked both the Pan Pacific and the Fairmont Waterfront for the night before our July 2023 cruise on the Celebrity Millennium. The Pan Pacific is $508 with breakfast and luggage transfer to the ship included and I believe I read there's an elevator right to the cruise ship. The Fairmont Waterfront is very close to the ship as well, I read it's a 5-minute walk, so nothing we cannot manage, and it's $448 with all taxes and fees included, but no breakfast. Basically, the price is about the same once you average in buying breakfast on your own. I'm just wondering which hotel people prefer. I'm interested in staying at whichever is nicer and will be the better experience overall and I'll cancel the other.

Edited by njsmom

Just booked the PP ..harbour view room...  but looked at both Fairmonts .... Six of one and half dozen the other.  Chose PP for convenience, dining options which were more to my taste should I choose not to go out. Also got a package deal with a bit of inroom credit. Baggage transfer doesn't bother me but direct access to the terminal is a bonus.....especially it it is raining.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We stayed at the Fairmont a few years ago for three nights. Went to Vancouver for a Weird Al Concert and added a cruise just because. We had a top floor harbor view room. Very nice hotel. They also provide free (plus tip) room to ship luggage service.  The Fairmont is connected to an underground food court. THe first two mornings, we skipped the overpriced hotel breakfast and grabbed some McDonalds - cause we are that classy 😉 .  It did rain on embarkation morning, but it's the Pacific Northwest...didn't stop us from hiking to Chinatown for morning Dim Sum.

Day 1

image.png.f4027aee022b3c4338a9fa7a204f9e28.png

Embarkation Day

image.png.b39d8a0805c04f1d369b5bcf2d10aee6.png

• Like 2

I have stayed at both and enjoyed my stay at both hotels.  However, I do prefer Pan Pacific even though I am a member of the Fairmont (Accor) loyalty club.  Dining options are better, a patio overlooking the Harbor that offers drinks and light dining, the transfer directly to the cruise terminal part of the complex:  all are reasons that I prefer it.

The underground food court that the previous poster mentioned connects the Fairmont and the Pan Pacific and is easily accessible from the Pan Pacific as well.  

• Like 2

We have stayed at both and they are both excellent properties.  The "five minute" walk is if you walk real real slow.  We even borrowed a cart from the valet and took our own luggage across the street.  Doubt they will do that today.  Depending on when you get in and if it makes a difference for view vs price, take the one with the best view room.  The elevator down to check in is pretty sweet.  

• Thanks 1

While we've stayed at both I thought I would toss in another hotel to consider -- the Auberge.  While we stayed at the Pan Pacific pre-cruise in April 2022 we stayed there at the Auberge several days pre-cruise in September 2022.  We last stayed at the Auberge in 2018 and it was lovely.  But since 2018 it has been re-modeled and we booked a one bedroom suite for less than a harbor view room at the Pan Pacific.  The Auberge is about a 5 minute walk (mostly on a slight downward slope) to Canada Place.

I've only stayed at the Pan Pacific.  Loved it!  Restaurant was wonderful for dinner and breakfast.  Had our luggage taken directly to the ship.  I was a bit nervous but as many people had said, it always shows up.  I watched the hotel site and found a better price than when I first booked, still expensive but so worth it.  

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Fairmont Waterfront will also transfer your luggage to the ship for no charge...tip though.  I stayed on club floors in each and the service and Club lounges are both very good and about equal in service and amenities. I will choose the Pan Pacific next time though, because it has the better unobstructed views from the Club rooms and lounge. I love my views!!!

~Nancy

• 2 weeks later...

We also have stayed at both - twice at the Fairmont and at least six times at the Pan Pacific. We almost always stay on the club or Gold floors.

Although overall we prefer the PP (more smoked salmon and better evening hors d'oeuvres as well as a better view in the club)  the deciding factor for us is the price. Often the price difference is considerable. For example, this past June the Club at the PP was $650 and the equivalent at the Fairmont was only $420.

But for next June the PP is $520 and the Fairmont is a ridiculous $1050. From my experience, when the rates are very high a long time in advance they usually come down closer to the date.

As noted, both hotels will deliver the luggage to the ship. Until the pandemic, the Fairmont had a car for the benefit of passengers with mobility issues that would take people to the check-in area on the lower level of the terminal. That service has been discontinued. 

Edited by david,Mississauga
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, nasa1974 said:

I have a cruise booked for October 19, 2023 and will fly in on the 18th. Looking at rates for the 18th the Pan Pacific looks to be the best deal. What will be the best way to get from the airport to the hotel?

Taxi. Set price from the airport. Convenient.  

~Nancy

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Just an update - I added on one more night in Vancouver, so my price at the Pan Pacific went up to a total of $1,100 for two nights with all fees added for our two nights in July. That did include breakfast. But still...so expensive. I looked into other hotels, and finally did a Priceline Express offer that I reviewed on better bidding and realized, from the hotel photo that it showed for a 4-star hotel, that it was the Auberge. I ended up getting both nights for a total of $603, including all fees. Those two nights were going for $1,046 on the Auberge website with all fees included. So I consider that a very good deal. It's pre-paid and non-cancellable, so that's where we'll be at this time. 

10 hours ago, njsmom said:

... Priceline Express offer both nights for a total of $603, including all fees.

Nice! And that $500 saving will pay for a very, very swanky dinner - even more if it's USD! Get it all in Loonies, pour them in the bath, and treat yourself to a Scrooge McDuck session before spending it 😉

Thanks for the update.  When we cruised out of Vancouver in April 2022 we stayed at the Pan Pacific, but when we checked hotel prices for a cruise embarking in Vancouver in September 2022 we were able to book at the Auberge a one-bedroom suite with a large living room, kitchenette (which we didn't use) and dining room table for significantly less than the Pan Pacific.  And the walk from the Auberge to the cruise terminal is very easy.  Slightly downhill.