LIVE from Discovery Nov. 5 - Nov. 14, 2022 - including Sky Suite experience

HBCcruiser

On 11/2/2022 at 8:32 AM, HBCcruiser said:

Well, I debated doing this LIVE thread for several reasons but thought that there might be some people out there who are considering booking the Sky Suite or who may want to know more about the experience. Also, I have heard that the Wi-Fi (or total lack thereof) is a total NIGHTMARE on this ship. How can that be? It is a new ship!! In this day and age having decent the Wi-Fi should be a given IMO. Where is Musk when you need him? I guess we shall see how it goes. I invite other passengers on this cruise to chime in along the way. The more the merrier I always say! 

I am starting this thread a bit early so you can ask me any questions up front. That way, I can try to answer them before the Wi-Fi goes bye-bye. We shall see how it goes. If you do not hear from me for a day or so once I board you know why. 

Itinerary Cruise 1 (Sky Suite): 

Nov. 5 – Board in LA (cell service but sometimes does not work well in LA port)

Nov. 6 – Sea Day (probably no internet)

Nov. 7 – Cabo (cell service)

Nov. 8 – Cabo (cell service)

Nov. 9 – Sea Day (no internet expected) 

Nov. 10 – Back in LA – Cruise #2 – No Sky Suite 

Nov. 11 – San Diego (cell service)

Nov. 12 – Sea Day – (probably no internet)

Nov. 13 – Ensenada – (cell service)

Nov. 14 – Back to LA and work reality

This cruise will be a B2B starting with a 5-day Cabo overnight in the Sky Suite with my DH and BIL, followed by me sailing solo for the first time (yikes!) in what started as a mini suite but due to a recent upgrade bid is now an S4 for a 4-day Comedy-themed California Coastal cruise. 

The first cruise was booked using FCCs from multiple COVID cancellations. My DH and I are limited to how many vacation days we get, and at the time we needed to use up our COVID FCCs by December 2022. This cruise plus an upcoming December ’22 CB Panama Canal cruise will use up all our FCCs. When I booked this cruise the price for the Sky Suite was not bad – especially compared to what NCL Haven Suites and Royal Caribbean Star Class suites sell for.

The second leg was booked using my teacher discount. My awesome TA was able to combine some additional discounts making this cruise impossible to pass up. I booked a midship mini suite with the discount and did not have to pay the single supplement fee. Nice.  With Veteran’s Day falling during this cruise, I did not have to use another vacation day. 

Two months before the cruise I decided to try out the new upgrade system and put lowish bids on a few categories of suites. Three weeks prior to the cruise I received the “Sorry, you did not win...”  emails for all but one bid. Thirty minutes later I received the “Yay…” email for the S4. Super fun! 

DH and I love Cabo and have traveled there both by cruise ship and by air many times. My BIL has never been, so we plan on showing him some of our favorite haunts and doing one private excursion with him – a sunset sail where we will hopefully see some whales.

I was just off the Discovery & the internet was terrible. I would give it a big F so don’t be surprised. 

Tom😀

• Thanks 1

Enjoy the trip, looking forward to living vicariously through you and @CptBoatface the week after when his trip sails. 

Our first West coast trip is coming up in February with @oteixeira so I'm looking for hints/tips for the must see/do things on that side of the ocean.

Today we're headed to a cask beer festival, so will definitely put a few back in our beloved 🐀's honor. It's just not the same with him gone 😞 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, omynameistaken said:

You will probably be given a choice of days and a time. They offered us sun-wed 5:00 or 7:45. We chose the 8th at 5pm

Interesting that they are doing two of these each night but I guess that will increase revenue when they start charging for it.  Our's was at 7:30 a week ago Friday and it lasted 2 hours.  Interested in hearing what others think about it but I am glad they are giving several CC'ers the opportunity to experience it.

• Like 2

On 11/2/2022 at 4:08 PM, cr8tiv1 said:

How can the internet/wifi be so bad on the same itinerary but a different ship?  Shouldn't the Discovery have a better/improved system than the "oldER" Grand Princess?  

I guess I am just happy to have better internet/wifi than what I get at home (think DSL/step above dial up).  

Princess needs to get their act together if they want to attract the younger crowd who relies on high. speed internet for remote work or other social media.

I was on a Royal Caribbean SoCal cruise in both August and September. The Internet was extremely slow and the TVs never worked. This was a ship wide problem. Customer service told me that it was due to the new 5G towers interfering.  I wondered if they were telling me the truth but I think they were now that people are complaining on other ships. I was on the inaugural and the second sailing of the Discovery Princess and never had a problem with the Internet. So something has definitely changed.  Are the televisions working?

52 minutes ago, shirazcruiser said:

Were you in the Club Class dining room for lunch - hence the CC on the napkins?  We're new to the Royal Class ship so I hope to learn more about suite perks as our upcoming sailing is in a Penthouse on the Enchanted.  

CC = Club Class which is where you'll be able to dine evenings (and lunch on sea days).  You can also have breakfast there but Sabatini's is a little quieter and reserved exclusively for suite guests with mimosas and specialty coffees included during the suite breakfasts.  They have a slightly different menu but they can make anything within reason for breakfast.

• Like 2

Just now, azbirdmom said:

CC = Club Class which is where you'll be able to dine evenings (and lunch on sea days).  

Thanks for responding...Love Suite breakfast in Sabatinis. We only sail in suites, but haven't sailed on the Royal Class ships and we're sailing 21 days on our upcoming Enchanted sailing.  I was hoping to learn some new hints on the R Class before sailing.  It seems the Concierge Lounge is similar to the Celebrity Retreat and RCCL Suite Lounge.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, shirazcruiser said:

Were you in the Club Class dining room for lunch - hence the CC on the napkins?  We're new to the Royal Class ship so I hope to learn more about suite perks as our upcoming sailing is in a Penthouse on the Enchanted.  

All ships have CC dining for full suites and club class mini suites not just Royal class ships

• Like 1