Skywalk viewing

dfdub

We booked a cruise on a Princess ship where our suite is under a "Skywalk".

Looking at the videos available on YouTube, it appears that some balcony's are very open to viewing from above. 

Has anyone had any experience with these suites?  Should we be concerned?? 

13 minutes ago, dfdub said:

Looking at the videos available on YouTube, it appears that some balcony's are very open to viewing from above. 

Can't talk about suites, but we have had a minisuite, that, in theory, people on the skywalk could just about see into our balcony. But, after the first day, no one used the seawalk,  and we would have no qualms about booking a similar cabin in the future.

• Like 1

I haven't had a room under the skywalk, but used it many times on a recent cruise when doing walking laps (it was too windy on the walking track).  I honestly never noticed people's balconies--just the sea below. It was also very seldom used by others.

59 minutes ago, dfdub said:

I really don’t think you should worry.  We never noticed anyone looking onto our balcony.  It’s never crowded and people walk on it in the beginning and it seemed very few after a couple of days.  

• Like 1

Here is some information.

On the first 3 Royal Class ships, Royal, Regal, Majestic, there are open views on the starboard side to the balconies on the first few decks below. A person standing on the skywalk looking inward toward the ship will have pretty direct views of the balconies, and on the Marina deck could actually see into the cabin somewhat if the balcony door is open. Those looking directly down through the glass flooring have a somewhat limited views of the balconies. On the port side there is the Seaview Bar which kind of limits the views.

On the Sky, Enchanted and Discovery. the decking has been extended to the curve of the skywalk. This limits the inward views. You can only see directly down through the glass floor.

Edited by skynight
  • Like 3

we had a mini suite that was two decks below the sky walk.  We went up to the sky walk and no one can see in your cabin through the darken sliding doors.  You can be seen if you are on the balcony, but so what.  I would go out and sit and read my book and it was not a problem having people walking above me.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MissP22 said:

You can see partway into the cabin an night when the cabin lights are on. 

And when the door is open. The poster has not mentioned which ship. No real inward views through the glass decking on the last 3 Royal class ships. Princess corrected what they should have known from the start.  

1 hour ago, skynight said:

And when the door is open. The poster has not mentioned which ship. No real inward views through the glass decking on the last 3 Royal class ships. Princess corrected what they should have known from the start.  

On the newer Enchanted they changed the angle which helped the situation. 

They must have had a lot of complaints from unsuspecting passengers. 

We still wouldn't want a cabin in that location as my husband likes to sit on the balcony in the early morning in his under ware. 

• Haha 2

On 11/3/2022 at 1:06 PM, dfdub said:

We weren’t concerned about being seen from the Skywalk but more concerned about the balcony being shaded by the overhang.

2 minutes ago, Lady Meer said:

We weren’t concerned about being seen from the Skywalk but more concerned about the balcony being shaded by the overhang.

From what I saw it looked like almost complete shade especially if you're on one of the upper decks.

On 11/3/2022 at 12:06 PM, roxievegas said:

You can be seen if you are on the balcony, but so what. 

True of other balconies as well. We have had balconies where we would give a big wave to the bridge crew and they would wave back. They probably have some great stories of what they have seen 😉, they have binoculars. Plus I would imagine that the sides of the ship are also observed by security cameras.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MissP22 said:

On the newer Enchanted they changed the angle which helped the situation. 

They must have had a lot of complaints from unsuspecting passengers. 

We still wouldn't want a cabin in that location as my husband likes to sit on the balcony in the early morning in his under ware. 

I wish I had not read that! but sadly you cant un toast the toast!

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, MissP22 said:

You can see partway into the cabin an night when the cabin lights are on. 

One word:  curtains.  🙂  We have a mini suite two deck down sort of just beyond the end of the glass walk, and I guess I'll go check to see what's up.  I keep the curtains open during the day so I can enjoy the view (even in port!) but no need for them at night.  I will report back.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

My folks original SS Club Mini Suite was under the skywalk on the Discovery.  They were concerned about the view down, but I think they leave some really bright light on under the skywalk.  That would bother me at least.  

Anyone else had any issue with the skywalk lights?

19 hours ago, Musky Ike said:

True of other balconies as well. We have had balconies where we would give a big wave to the bridge crew and they would wave back. They probably have some great stories of what they have seen 😉, they have binoculars. Plus I would imagine that the sides of the ship are also observed by security cameras.

Most balconies offer privacy unless you're at the railing and people can view you from above.

The balconies under the sky walk have no privacy no matter where you sit. 

54 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

Most balconies offer privacy unless you're at the railing and people can view you from above.

The balconies under the sky walk have no privacy no matter where you sit. 

Marina deck balconies are only around 20 feet from skywalk views on the first three Royal class ships. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, skynight said:

Marina deck balconies are only around 20 feet from skywalk views on the first three Royal class ships. 

Can you imagine what unsuspecting people must say when they first arrive in their cabin on the first day when hundreds of people are checking out the ship.