After This Date, You'll Need Real ID to Fly. Here's What to Know

HamOp

6 minutes ago, RuthC said:

That seems like a lot! I didn't know the charge here, and would not have paid it as I have a passport. 
No one needs Real ID for any reason I know of if they have a valid passport. 

It sounds like if you just wait you will get it anyway.  I didn’t have to pay extra either as it was part of my renewal 

I am happy I got the real ID, it is worth the extra cost to not have to carry my passport for domestic travel. I just don’t want to risk losing my passport which is much harder to replace.  When you factor in the cost of a cruise I might miss if I lose my passport  and the small price for the enhanced drivers license it was the right choice for me.  My passport is happily waiting for me in my safe for my December cruise. 

• Like 1

It's  $35 here in California

It seems silly to get itvif you have a passport

It seems stupid that you can't use your passport to prove you are a citizen and need all kinds of extra proof to get the real ID driver's license 

I refuse to deal with stupid beaurocracy

A state issued "Real ID" is not acceptable for cruises.  Did you read this warning!

Only an "Enhanced Driver's License" currently only available from 5 states ...New York, Washington, Vermont, Minnesota and Michigan is valid.  They are intended for boarder crossing into Canada but do have what info US Customs requires.

If you do not have a US passport, and are considering a cruise......get one!

Your alternative for a "closed loop" cruise (same port embarking and disembarking) is a government issued United States Birth Certificate, Naturalization document, and a few other things that are very uncommon.

A US military ID will usually get you a discount on your cruise fare, but is NOT valid for sailing.

David

Edited by DAllenTCY
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, DAllenTCY said:

A state issued "Real ID" is not acceptable for cruises.  Did you read this warning!

Only an "Enhanced Driver's License" currently only available from 5 states ...New York, Washington, Vermont, Minnesota and Michigan is valid.  They are intended for boarder crossing into Canada but do have what info US Customs requires.

If you do not have a US passport, and are considering a cruise......get one!

Your alternative for a "closed loop" cruise (same port embarking and disembarking) is a government issued United States Birth Certificate, Naturalization document, and a few other things that are very uncommon.

A US military ID will usually get you a discount on your cruise fare, but is NOT valid for sailing.

David

We are only discussing Real ID for domestic air travel. No one mentioned it for a cruise. 

• Like 3

23 hours ago, riffatsea said:

It's  $35 here in California

It seems silly to get itvif you have a passport

It seems stupid that you can't use your passport to prove you are a citizen and need all kinds of extra proof to get the real ID driver's license 

I refuse to deal with stupid beaurocracy

I fly domestically quite often. For me to  have my small drivers license is much preferable to carrying my passport. No one said you can’t use your passport, some just want the convenience of their drivers license domestically. 

I understand that; however, if you call ....for example the California Department of Motor Vehicles.... they will insist that your Real ID is good for "Travel".  No mention of alr vs sea.

They had required that every Californian have a Real ID a year ago and have moved that deadline at least twice.

My concern is that several guests on Saturday were denied boarding in San Diego for a cruise because of this misunderstanding.  

David

43 minutes ago, DAllenTCY said:

My concern is that several guests on Saturday were denied boarding in San Diego for a cruise because of this misunderstanding.  

David

Not saying this didn't happen, but I do wonder how you were able to get this information?  Was it traveling companions or just something you overheard?

Edited by HamOp

As someone who checks in cruise passengers for Alaska bound cruises, I can tell you that it is a daily occurrence that passengers will arrive at the terminal with just their Driver's License as their travel ID.  At that point the hope is that they can reach someone at home who can find a copy of the passenger's US issued birth certificate, take a photo of the birth certificate and electronically send it to the pier where it is printed.  If everything is in order, then the passengers will be allowed to board. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cruising sister said:

I fly domestically quite often. For me to  have my small drivers license is much preferable to carrying my passport. No one said you can’t use your passport, some just want the convenience of their drivers license domestically. 

I always have my Global Entry ID in my wallet which will also suffice for domestic air travel if you do not have a Real ID!

I love my job at a cruise port.  I've been doing this for 17 years.

The only parts that break my heart are when:

The ship has left without you because:

1.    You arrived too late

2.   You presented insufficient proof of citizenship 

In either case, are you prepared with a "Plan B"?

David

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, cruising sister said:

My global entry card says to not carry it with you. I wonder if you have something different. 

I have never seen where you are not supposed to carry your card with you. One time I was asked to show it. Ironically that was at Pt. Everglades getting off the ship using the Global Entry lane,
image.thumb.png.91eeead8c765d3ff7b99a4f718e04a2d.png

Edited by Laminator

If for whatever reason you don’t want to get a real ID, when we renewed our passports, we also got a passport card, that can be used for domestic travel.  When we travel out of the country, we lock our passports in the room/cabin safe and carry the passport cards (where actual passports aren’t required).  If we were to have our passports stolen, we figured it would be easier to have them replaced with a passport card.  We of course carry them separately.