Recommendations on Cruise line

Harry Gammons

Hi. We are looking at Holland America cruise. The wife is Platinum on Carnival but they don't have Los Angles to Florida through the Panama Canal cruises in April. We tried Celebrity for the first time earlier this year and liked the ship and crew but they dropped three ports in Canada and when I ask for a refund. They stated that Canada had hostile ports and they could change the internatery at anytime. So no refund, and we also slowed down to 10 knots on the way back to use up all the time. So before another surprise I thought I would ask y'all. We haven't cruised the western side of Mexico so are really interested in lots of stops on that side and going thru the canal. Thanks

Hostile ports in Canada ??  😲

Well  if you read the T & C of any cruise line  yes they can changed the ports  at will

If you want  a Panama trip in April   check Princess, HAL  from California  to Florida

Or Florida to west coast  look at RCL, HAL, Princess,Carnival, NCL Celebrity

More Panama sailing are  usually Jan to Mar

• Like 1

Most spring transits go east to west, as the ships are repositioning to the west coast for the Alaska season.  That said, I did find two eastbound cruises in April.  
Emerald Princess leaving LA on 1 April going through the new locks.  HAL Zaandam leaving San Diego on 09 April through the original locks.  That’s pretty much it until fall.  EM

Thanks all, I will look up the others y'all mentioned. The wording hostile was from their office when I ask for at least the port fees. So since they were so snappy we will use other lines from now on. Carnival is easy for us to get to, and its just 3.5 hours away, but we have grown bored of the Gulf Ports.

From Celebrity's email

"Unfortunately, due to escalating violence in the area, our Global Security team determined that these port cities were unsafe for our guests to visit" 

33 minutes ago, Harry Gammons said:

From Celebrity's email

"Unfortunately, due to escalating violence in the area, our Global Security team determined that these port cities were unsafe for our guests to visit" 

What ports  were you supposed to visit??

10 hours ago, Harry Gammons said:

They stated that Canada had hostile ports and they could change the internatery at anytime. So no refund, and we also slowed down to 10 knots on the way back to use up all the time.

Hostile ports in Canada?  Did they not apologize for something?  😂  I’m guessing you went around the time of Hurricane Fiona, which was an historic storm for Canada and caused a lot of destruction and closed ports.  

It also sounds like you were traveling in the Gulf of St Lawrence where all vessels more than 13 metres in length have speed restrictions of 10 knots to protect endangered North Atlantic Whales; not “to use up all the time”. 

11 hours ago, *Miss G* said:

Hostile ports in Canada?  Did they not apologize for something?  😂  I’m guessing you went around the time of Hurricane Fiona, which was an historic storm for Canada and caused a lot of destruction and closed ports.  

It also sounds like you were traveling in the Gulf of St Lawrence where all vessels more than 13 metres in length have speed restrictions of 10 knots to protect endangered North Atlantic Whales; not “to use up all the time”. 

We cruised in open waters very slow, we knew about the St Lawrence area. 

21 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

Most spring transits go east to west, as the ships are repositioning to the west coast for the Alaska season.  That said, I did find two eastbound cruises in April.  
Emerald Princess leaving LA on 1 April going through the new locks.  HAL Zaandam leaving San Diego on 09 April through the original locks.  That’s pretty much it until fall.  EM

1 hour ago, Harry Gammons said:

Prince Edward Island , Bay of Fundy, and Sidney are the ones we missed.

Was it during Hurricane Fiona ?

Those ports  were badly hit & still in recovery mode

Not just the Caribbean Islands get  hit

On 11/8/2022 at 7:17 AM, Harry Gammons said:

Hi. We are looking at Holland America cruise. ...We haven't cruised the western side of Mexico so are really interested in lots of stops on that side and going thru the canal. Thanks

Hi! Looking at the two cruises @Essiesmomfound in post #4, I see these factors:

Emerald Princess: 3100pax at double occupancy. Ports -- LA, Puerto Vallarta, Huatulco, San Juan del Sur (Nic), Puntarenas (CR), Cartagena (Col), FLL. New Locks. 15 days.

Zaandam: 1400pax at double occupancy. Ports -- SAN, Puerto Vallarta, Huatulco, Puerto Quetzal (Gua), Cartagena (Col), FLL. Old Locks. This cruise sails on April 4 not 9. 14 days.

Looking at your interests, I'd have to recommend Princess. Have not been to Nicaragua, but Puntarenas is a great port (recommend a crocodile boat excursion!). You get one more west coast port stop.

I personally would go with HAL: smaller ship that I have cruised on twice, and I have not been to Puerto Quetzal. I liked the old locks! Also much prefer SAN to LA for a few days before the cruise!

7 hours ago, crystalspin said:

Hi! Looking at the two cruises @Essiesmomfound in post #4, I see these factors:

Emerald Princess: 3100pax at double occupancy. Ports -- LA, Puerto Vallarta, Huatulco, San Juan del Sur (Nic), Puntarenas (CR), Cartagena (Col), FLL. New Locks. 15 days.

Zaandam: 1400pax at double occupancy. Ports -- SAN, Puerto Vallarta, Huatulco, Puerto Quetzal (Gua), Cartagena (Col), FLL. Old Locks. This cruise sails on April 4 not 9. 14 days.

Looking at your interests, I'd have to recommend Princess. Have not been to Nicaragua, but Puntarenas is a great port (recommend a crocodile boat excursion!). You get one more west coast port stop.

I personally would go with HAL: smaller ship that I have cruised on twice, and I have not been to Puerto Quetzal. I liked the old locks! Also much prefer SAN to LA for a few days before the cruise!

Wow that's a lot of good info thanks for sending it to me

• Like 1

Poor communications on their part. Similar to they should have let us know when boarding that they were going to drop ports and we would have ask to take the next cruise. Needless to say we will not be going back on this line again. As well as their premium balcony we had has an obstructed view.