Star Pride

patrinka

I read that the Star Pride is having air conditioning problems. Someone posted that they were on it for 11 days with no a/c.

I was thinking of booking for the Caribbean this winter but don't want to have this issue.

Does anyone know of this?

• I sailed the Star Pride from Boston to San Juan (10/23-11/3). We were in the "new" section and a/c was fine in room. Most cabins towards the front and public areas like Compass Rose were quite warm. We had a balcony and could open the doors if necessary. (didn't need to) I couldn't imagine being is a cabin without air and no ability to open windows etc. 

I've heard the issue is finally under control. Hopefully your cruise will be fine. 

Also know that we were told that we would be offered compensation for our experience and have not yet been contacted. Would be hard pressed to book another cruise on this ship with these issues, lack of resolution and lack of offer to help on board other than a large fan that ran nonstop …..

2 hours ago, suzeshoes said:

Also know that we were told that we would be offered compensation for our experience and have not yet been contacted. Would be hard pressed to book another cruise on this ship with these issues, lack of resolution and lack of offer to help on board other than a large fan that ran nonstop …..

On the last sailing it was out for three days and they were only giving $100 per person.  Not acceptable.  They were told to contact guest services.  I would be proactive and contact them.

Just got off the ship.  AC was out 2.5 days and people received anywhere from $150 to $225 credit per person.  They also provided us with a fan for the 2 nights it was out which helped.  The whole system was updated during recent drydock where they installed HEPA filters and new fans.  On the cruise from Boston, it was the flow of air that was the problem with hot and cold air coming through ducts. It seems on the San Juan leg, there was some premature wear on the fans which they we trying to understand.  The ship has 3 AC units, with only 2 required to cool the shole ship leaving an extra one in case one has issues or needs to be maintained.  Unfortunately 2 of the 3 units went down which explains why only a portion of the ship was cool.  They had engineering team flown in from the US and they were onboard for the remainder of the cruise to ensure the system was OK.  It was unfortunate but was addressed and explained in detail by the captain and officers and was over after 2 days.  You can imagine how hot it must have been in the staff quarters.  Everyone was committed to getting the problem fixed because grumpy staff and customers is not good for business

44 minutes ago, Misty Morning said:

Just got off the ship.  AC was out 2.5 days and people received anywhere from $150 to $225 credit per person.  They also provided us with a fan for the 2 nights it was out which helped.  The whole system was updated during recent drydock where they installed HEPA filters and new fans.  On the cruise from Boston, it was the flow of air that was the problem with hot and cold air coming through ducts. It seems on the San Juan leg, there was some premature wear on the fans which they we trying to understand.  The ship has 3 AC units, with only 2 required to cool the shole ship leaving an extra one in case one has issues or needs to be maintained.  Unfortunately 2 of the 3 units went down which explains why only a portion of the ship was cool.  They had engineering team flown in from the US and they were onboard for the remainder of the cruise to ensure the system was OK.  It was unfortunate but was addressed and explained in detail by the captain and officers and was over after 2 days.  You can imagine how hot it must have been in the staff quarters.  Everyone was committed to getting the problem fixed because grumpy staff and customers is not good for business

Thanks for explaining the situation. I'm sorry that a portion of your trip was uncomfortable but it seems like the issue has been resolved. Besides the AC issue, how was the the rest of the cruise?

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/19/2022 at 10:10 PM, molemaui said:

I was told the amount given in compensation was based on cruise fare paid AND degree of effect from lack of A/C. (How do they figure that out?)

EXACTLY! Air Conditioning should be included in the "All in" package😉

I wrote to them after the October 23rd Cruise to Hell. The immediate response was they're very busy and will get back to me in 10 to 20 days. So far, Crickets. That's the second out of six WS cruises with no AC for an unreasonable amount of time. Both on Star Pride. I've asked for a refund minus port fees and "all in" or a refund on my 14 day  January 14 Windsurf cruise. I don't want to have to wonder if AC is included in the cruise fare. I know "s*** happens" but they obviously never prepared or tested the AC before transition from the frozen north to the Caribbean. They never considered giving us the option of getting off and taking a FCC or pull in anywhere for repairs. I'm still aggrevared everytime I think about laying in bed sweating for an onbiard credit of $500. I'd like to see the sweatometer they used to "measure my discomfort".

Edited by MRGACRUZR

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
11 hours ago, M.Travels said:

Getting off the Star Pride this morning after 11 days and the A/C worked great the whole time! Absolutely no A/C issues, and I was pretty nervous about it after this thread … but all was well and we had a great cruise.

That's fantastic news!  Was your cabin in the new section or the old section?  We are booked in the old section which I believe is the area that had issues so curious if those cabins have AC.

Edited by travelbug4
hit send too quickly

On 1/7/2023 at 3:17 PM, travelbug4 said:

That's fantastic news!  Was your cabin in the new section or the old section?  We are booked in the old section which I believe is the area that had issues so curious if those cabins have AC.

We were in the old section, on the fourth deck, and were very comfortable the whole time.

• 1 month later...