Star Pride

patrinka

It makes a conundrum for me:  the new 'star' cabins are in the most desirable mid-aft location, but they all the bed by the window.  After consideration, both DH and I think the bed close to the bathroom is a better arrangement for us – so the 'old' cabins it is.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

It makes a conundrum for me:  the new 'star' cabins are in the most desirable mid-aft location, but they all the bed by the window.  After consideration, both DH and I think the bed close to the bathroom is a better arrangement for us – so the 'old' cabins it is.

Prefer the "old cabin" furniture, too.  Tried the "new."  Going back to the "old."

• Thanks 1

Just disembarked Pride as well. Stayed in “old” style cabin and prefer the layout with bed near the bath, and sofa near the window. By the way, if you want or need twin beds the bed in the “new” rooms do not convert from queen to twins. This was my first trip on the Pride since the stretch. They did a beautiful job. 

2 hours ago, Nearpost345 said:

we were in ste 629, one of the new suites on the breeze last December. There were twins pushed together.

Maybe I didn't explain this correctly. My understanding is that the beds are all "twins" put together as queens. When I called Windstar to see if the queen size beds in the "new" rooms could be separated so that my daughter and I could have our own beds, they said that only the queen size beds in the "old" configuration could be separated....but not the queen size beds in the new rooms. So we chose the "old" configuration. 

IMG_9155.jpeg

Maybe Windstar were confused, or maybe some queen beds in the new section are truly queens and since they can’t be sawn in two, must remain as queens. In our new ste 629 they had put two twins together with a t bar down the middle ,which the crew would have been happy to separate if we asked them to.

2Love, this deck plan explains it all. Most beds in the new section are real queens beds which obviously cannot be converted to twins. We just so happened to wind up in one of the few new suites that still put two twins together.

https://www.windstarcruises.com/BlankSite/media/deck-plans/StarClassdeckplan.pdf

Edited by Nearpost345

WE just booked a cruise on the Pride and are very upset that Windstar and my agent did not inform

us that there are Porthole rooms in the front and they are NOT the full window view of other ocean view rooms.  Buyer Beware !  Looking for a refund but no luck.. Bad on you Windstar.

@flcruiselovers could you specify what 'ocean view' cabin you got that has portholes?  The deck plans clearly show a cabin category called 'Star Porthole Suite (SP)' on deck 3 (300-309).  Looking at photos of the outside of the ship, I don't see any portholes above deck 3.  Deck 4 is the line of windows just below the stripe at the top of the hull:  from the front there are 9 windows, a break, 6 windows, a break, 11 windows – matching the deck plan:  400-416 (9 cabins), break, 418-428 (6 cabins), break, 430-450 (11 cabins).  Deck 5 is the same, and so is Deck 6 except for the super duper Owner's Suite 600 at the very front.

star-deck-plans-jan2023.pdf

star-pride-cruise-ship.jpg.75aa598d01802e9e3153c73743e7c178.jpg

• Like 1

Yes the cabin we got on the Pride was on Deck 3, which are porthole cabins.  The problem I have is the agency website I went to , *****.com, only lists 2 categories of cabins.. balcony and non balcony suite, and only 2 prices.  First time on Windstar, did not know they had porthole cabins.

I booked a non balcony and got the porthole, no one informed me of this. Clearly looks like the 

price is the same on the website. When booking I was not informed, or even given the choice to pay more and get a full window view cabin.

Yes, I think we all knew what website it was as soon as you said there were only 2 categories of cabins.

My question to you is why are you saying “bad on you Windstar” and “buyer beware” when Windstar’s information is transparent? You booked with an agency and the agency did not give you all the information, which is frustrating sure … but your blame seems mis-aimed here.

Luckily it’s Windstar so you will likely still have a wonderful time!

FYI you are not allowed to name (or hint at) travel agents and agencies.  The Cruise Critic 'bot' tried to help you by blanking out the name...

My own experience with that agency (and other online discounters of the same ilk) is that their headline bargains rarely pan out.  By the time I get to the final booking stage, their prices usually are the same as what I would get on the cruise line's own website.  And of course I am also checking the cruise line's website because I want to look at the deck plans to choose the best available cabin.

When you are onboard, ask around for 'good' travel agent recommendations.  There are a few out there that don't play these games but do offer major rebates.  Just remember that you can't ask, and we can't tell, here on Cruise Critic.  😉

• Thanks 1

On 3/5/2023 at 7:27 PM, Strenz said:

We are in 511 for Reykjavik-Montreal, 9/5. We love the old set up, the sitting area by the FR balcony, read, watch, fresh air, very excited. Happy Sailing.

I hope you got your date wrong (9/5) as I'm booking the 9/2 sailing Reykjavik-Montreal

To Mnocket, 

Thank you,thank you. I goofed. We are on the 9/9 Star Pride Reykjavik to Montreal. We leave for Reykjavik on the 5 th with 3 days in Reykjavik. Very excited our 27 th on WS 25 on the sails, 2 on the motors one before the stretch and this one after. Excited to visit Greenland before the jet landing strip is completed in 2024, adore Quebec, sailed the St. Lawrence 2 times both on supply ships, my mother was born in Newfoundland, our 50 anniversary gift to ourselves. We  live on Cape Cod MA,  my husband is a Quebécois, adore WS Cruises, the Surf is our favorite, sailing my entire life. Hope to meet you. Susanne

On 3/28/2023 at 2:28 PM, Strenz said:

To Mnocket, 

Thank you,thank you. I goofed. We are on the 9/9 Star Pride Reykjavik to Montreal. We leave for Reykjavik on the 5 th with 3 days in Reykjavik. Very excited our 27 th on WS 25 on the sails, 2 on the motors one before the stretch and this one after. Excited to visit Greenland before the jet landing strip is completed in 2024, adore Quebec, sailed the St. Lawrence 2 times both on supply ships, my mother was born in Newfoundland, our 50 anniversary gift to ourselves. We  live on Cape Cod MA,  my husband is a Quebécois, adore WS Cruises, the Surf is our favorite, sailing my entire life. Hope to meet you. Susanne

Susanne,

We're doing the Around Iceland trip first and then continuing on to Montreal (hence departing 9/2). 

This is our first Windstar cruise so we're not really sure what to expect, but we're very much looking forward to it🙂  I hope we cross paths once aboard.

I noticed you started a Roll Call for the 9/9 trip.   I'll be joining in!  There's also a Roll Call for the Sept 2nd sailing and some of the people there are continuing on to Montreal.  Roll Call is a bit slow to start, but I'm hoping to hook up for some private tours. 

Mike

Edited by mnocket