when is a bottle of wine not a bottle of wine?

vicky3vicky

7 hours ago, Sailin_Pirate said:

There'll always be the "I got it on" crowd. Just means the person checking wasn't doing their job or just didn't care. 

The threads when Carnival removes wine as a carry on will be fun.

Or it could be the person doing the checking isn't knowledgeable about what is wine and what isn't. I read the label for some of those Margarita wines and if you fixate on the "margarita" part you overlook the fact that it is wine made from agave with no liquor in it, it's a wine cocktail. It should be allowed.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Sailin_Pirate said:

There'll always be the "I got it on" crowd. Just means the person checking wasn't doing their job or just didn't care. 

It is wine, states it on the bottle, 100% agave wine.  You got stuck on the margarita 'flavor'.  No different than any other flavored wine.   And if there were ever a question as I brought it on the ship, I'd point to the label and show them it is wine.  

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, justafem said:

It is wine, states it on the bottle, 100% agave wine.  You got stuck on the margarita 'flavor'.  No different than any other flavored wine.   And if there were ever a question as I brought it on the ship, I'd point to the label and show them it is wine.  

I would also ask for a supervisor if pointing out the obvious didn't work.

• Like 1

I read Carnival's beverage policy when this thread started - it just says each adult guest can bring on one 750mL bottle of wine. It doesn't say it can't be flavored or fortified. It didn't say it can't be champagne. It just says wine. If somebody gives you grief for trying to bring on some of the options in this thread I'd definitely ask for a super.

3 hours ago, mz-s said:

I read Carnival's beverage policy when this thread started - it just says each adult guest can bring on one 750mL bottle of wine. It doesn't say it can't be flavored or fortified. It didn't say it can't be champagne. It just says wine. If somebody gives you grief for trying to bring on some of the options in this thread I'd definitely ask for a super.

To be more precise, it says exactly this:

Guests are prohibited from bringing alcoholic beverages on board with the following exception - at the beginning of the cruise during embarkation day only, guests (21 years of age and older) may bring one 750-ml bottle of sealed/unopened wine or champagne, per person, in their carry-on luggage. Outside this exception, all liquor, beer, other forms of alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages are strictly prohibited in both carry-on and checked luggage and such items will be confiscated and discarded and no compensation will be provided. Guests sailing with us on back-to-back cruises are entitled to bring the same quantity as stated in this policy, per cruise. The additional quantities will be stored for safekeeping at the start of the first cruise and will be given to the guest as each following cruise begins.

It not only doesn't say that it can't be champagne, it explicitly says it can be champagne.  It doesn't "just say wine".  Slight but important difference.😉

https://www.carnival.com/help

Edited by ShakyBeef
clarification
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, ShakyBeef said:

To be more precise, it says exactly this:

Guests are prohibited from bringing alcoholic beverages on board with the following exception - at the beginning of the cruise during embarkation day only, guests (21 years of age and older) may bring one 750-ml bottle of sealed/unopened wine or champagne, per person, in their carry-on luggage. Outside this exception, all liquor, beer, other forms of alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages are strictly prohibited in both carry-on and checked luggage and such items will be confiscated and discarded and no compensation will be provided. Guests sailing with us on back-to-back cruises are entitled to bring the same quantity as stated in this policy, per cruise. The additional quantities will be stored for safekeeping at the start of the first cruise and will be given to the guest as each following cruise begins.

It not only doesn't say that it can't be champagne, it explicitly says it can be champagne.  It doesn't "just say wine".  Slight but important difference.😉

https://www.carnival.com/help

So what I am hearing is MD 20/20 should be good to go, right? 😉

• Haha 2

17 hours ago, Joebucks said:

I'd say most bottles would be allowed as long as they are in the 15%ish alcohol range. The concern is not that you must have grape alcohol. It's that you're not bringing liquor.

The policy doesn't mention alcohol content at all. I've never looked at wine alcohol content and don't know what is available but one could bring wine with 30% content under the policy.

DW did like the strawberry agave wine and had no reaction to it. If there's too much sulfite then she has a reaction. There are a few wines that she can drink but we need to be careful.

• Like 1

The Agave wine is fortified with tequila.  Thus it could be considered "not a wine" under Carnival rules.  But, as I mentioned in prior post, if you carry it on board in wine sack carrier with only the top portion, not the label showing, you could probably get it on board.   We carry our wine in  a 2 bottle carrier and have never had a security person pull the bottles out and check.  Now back when we could carry water, they would lift the whole sealed, clear bottle 12 pack and turn it upside down and shake it.

• Like 1

On 11/11/2022 at 10:09 PM, Sailin_Pirate said:

I'm not reading this thread as anyone trying to do something that's unallowed. Flavored wine is still wine - not liquor. No one is advocating filling up a wine bottle with liquor.

On 11/12/2022 at 5:24 AM, cruisemom67 said:

We have cruised 4 times in the last year. Different ports. Every time they have told us to go to the wine table to have our wine inspected. 

Interesting. I'll be cruising Thanksgiving week out of Long Beach - I'll see what happens then. 

26 minutes ago, ScottsSweetie said:

I'm not reading this thread as anyone trying to do something that's unallowed. Flavored wine is still wine - not liquor. No one is advocating filling up a wine bottle with liquor.

So you missed the posts about buying a recorker from Amazon , the one about removing said wine and refilling with the booze they no longer sell to the cabin or the one about wrapping them in bubble wrap to hide labels to sneak bottles through?

My comments are based on what Carnival has said and what is happening at different ports. Some let them through and some don't .

We all know what Carnival means by wine. And they don't mean wine cocktails.

3 minutes ago, Sailin_Pirate said:

So you missed the posts about buying a recorker from Amazon , the one about removing said wine and refilling with the booze they no longer sell to the cabin or the one about wrapping them in bubble wrap to hide labels to sneak bottles through?

My comments are based on what Carnival has said and what is happening at different ports. Some let them through and some don't .

If they don't mean wine cocktails or what have you, then they should be more specific in their policy.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Sailin_Pirate said:

. . . 

We all know what Carnival means with any of their rules. It means maybe they'll enforce it, but probably not.

Edited by ScottsSweetie
  • Like 5

3 hours ago, ScottsSweetie said:

No one is advocating filling up a wine bottle with liquor.

So, I take it you missed this post:

20 hours ago, hurricane0226 said:

I just pour my Capt Morgans in a Sangria wine bottle, never no problem. 😉

28 minutes ago, ShakyBeef said:

So, I take it you missed this post:

This thread was not started by someone trying to skirt a rule, and the vast majority of the discussion has been on the topic of wine / wine cocktails. Of course there is one in every bunch. What I should have said is that no one here is advocating that someone else should try to smuggle something not allowed.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, crewsweeper said:

The Agave wine is fortified with tequila.  Thus it could be considered "not a wine" under Carnival rules.  But, as I mentioned in prior post, if you carry it on board in wine sack carrier with only the top portion, not the label showing, you could probably get it on board.   We carry our wine in  a 2 bottle carrier and have never had a security person pull the bottles out and check.  Now back when we could carry water, they would lift the whole sealed, clear bottle 12 pack and turn it upside down and shake it.

It doesn't say that anywhere on the label. 

Here in Vermont beer and wine may be sold in grocery and convenience stores, liquor may only be sold in a state liquor store. Agave wine is sold in grocery stores. That settles the issue for me, regardless of how it is made. When we board in April we'll bring at least one bottle with us and see what happens (and no, I won't go "Karen" on security if they do confiscate it). 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, crewsweeper said:

Carnival is not under Vermont Liquor Laws.  But best of luck to you.  Let us know if successful.  👍

I of course recognize that, simply pointing out that at least one legal authority has determined that agave wine is still wine. And of course I will report the result, but as has been pointed out that is going to vary anyway. 

• Like 1