Koningsdam Cabin and Floor

pmartin32

Hello all, I'm going on a round-trip Vancouver to Alaska cruise aboard the Koningsdam.  I'm having a difficult time deciding what floor and location (mid ship or aft).  I'm leaning toward mid floors 5-7, but would love some feedback on floor and location.  Is aft typically fairly stable during inner passage cruises, or does it get rough?  Has anyone stayed on different floors that has a preference?  I've never been on a Holland America cruise before, but I've always gone mid ship and mid floor on other cruises just to be on the safe side from motion sickness.  Thank you!

19 minutes ago, pmartin32 said:

Hello all, I'm going on a round-trip Vancouver to Alaska cruise aboard the Koningsdam.  I'm having a difficult time deciding what floor and location (mid ship or aft).  I'm leaning toward mid floors 5-7, but would love some feedback on floor and location.  Is aft typically fairly stable during inner passage cruises, or does it get rough?  Has anyone stayed on different floors that has a preference?  I've never been on a Holland America cruise before, but I've always gone mid ship and mid floor on other cruises just to be on the safe side from motion sickness.  Thank you!

We were on Deck 4 recently on the Koningsdam. Smooth sailing across the Pacific from Vancouver, BC, to Hawaii, and back.

Should be even less motion, typically, on inside passage cruises.

Alaska inside  passage cruises are generally  a very gentle cruise  .Thus ,any location  in my mind is fine . your pocket book should determine choice of cabin &   location  . That being said  any cruise can hit  rough  waters ,so there is never a guarantee ,My DW takes  dramamine  right before the ship   moves & she is fine the whole cruise 

Once we were  on a 73000 ton vessel returning from Hawaii to SD &  hit into 30 to 40 foot waves ,a following sea .my DW was fine & we had a rear facing balcony cabin  .what a sight to see those waves & following sea

We had a verandah on the Koningsdam inside passage trip this past september.  Room 7011 -- so forward.  Hardly any issues at all -- was a very smooth ride.  Only slight issue is that technically our deck was viewable from the very corner of the bridge -- not that we ever saw any staff in that very corner bit!

We were in a veranda on deck 11 last summer on the Koningsdam in Alaska.  Loved the location—you’re just one floor below the Crows Nest!  It was nice popping up for glacier/wildlife viewing as well as getting a hot drink.  Hubby liked the proximity to the Lido deck.  He just had to up and down a couple of floors to get to his favorite bar (which turned out to be great since he twisted his knee the week before our sailing!).

On glacier viewing days, it was great to just walk a few steps and be outdoors on the upper deck.   We would go back to our cabin to warm up but we really liked the views other than our veranda.

We enjoyed that location so much that we’re in the same cabin next week on our Thanksgiving cruise!  

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Heartgrove said:

If you choose Midships, the verandahs on Deck Four are shallower than decks above. Deck Six is a good choice as you will be above the line of sight of the lifeboats/tenders.

On the other hand, the verandahs on the aft section of Deck 4 are much deeper than any others on the ship (except a few on the forward section of that deck, many of which do not have transparent railings). Our balcony in 4191 was 11 feet deep.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, mcrcruiser said:

Alaska inside  passage cruises are generally  a very gentle cruise  .Thus ,any location  in my mind is fine . your pocket book should determine choice of cabin &   location  . That being said  any cruise can hit  rough  waters ,so there is never a guarantee ,My DW takes  dramamine  right before the ship   moves & she is fine the whole cruise 

Once we were  on a 73000 ton vessel returning from Hawaii to SD &  hit into 30 to 40 foot waves ,a following sea .my DW was fine & we had a rear facing balcony cabin  .what a sight to see those waves & following sea

Yikes on those 30-40' waves!  

35 minutes ago, talavera_7 said:

Hi

Soon to board the Koningsdam

I just realized that I got upgraded (from an obstructed balcony) to a VE Veranda, aft on deck eight. It is under the Lido. Do I need to worry about noise?

Thanks!

Bonnie

Unfortunately yes... depending on where you are, there may be noise from rolling trolleys above your cabin.

• Like 1

Depends on how far aft you are. There is the pool area beyond the Lido and you may experience some chair setting or putting away, but are not under the dining area with the food carts. We had an aft facing balcony just under deck 8 on the Westerdam and loved it.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
On 1/24/2023 at 11:42 PM, mhlcanada said:

Can anyone comment on the Aft cabins on deck 5 & 6? Is it worth the upgrade through Club Orange?

I am considering this as well. Aft-View would be the upgrade. Any insights? I think they’ll be fine. But if there are any opinions, I welcome them!

1 hour ago, MrSnuffleupagus said:

I am considering this as well. Aft-View would be the upgrade. Any insights? I think they’ll be fine. But if there are any opinions, I welcome them!

Something to consider is afts tend to sell out.  I don’t know the logistics if there simply are none available.   

On 5/29/2023 at 9:01 PM, Mary229 said:

Something to consider is afts tend to sell out.  I don’t know the logistics if there simply are none available.   

Scored our aft-views with the Club Orange upgrade. Currently booked on deck 5, dead center. Deck 6 is also available.

Does anyone know if the VS Aft-view staterooms have any square footage differences between Deck 5 and 6? I know I can call. Just thought I’d ask on here first.

2 hours ago, MrSnuffleupagus said:

FYI for those curious or searching in the future:

5225 is 209 sq ft

5206 is 207 sq ft

6216 is 190 sq ft

6214 is 189 sq ft

These are stateroom square footage only. They do not include the verandah. 

5225’s Verandah is 56 sq ft, 265 sq ft total

5206’s Verandah is 56 sq ft, 263 sq ft total

6216’s Verandah is 54 sq ft, 244 sq ft total

6214’s Verandah is 57 sq ft, 246 sq ft total

• Thanks 1

On 11/18/2022 at 1:44 PM, talavera_7 said:

Hi

Soon to board the Koningsdam

I just realized that I got upgraded (from an obstructed balcony) to a VE Veranda, aft on deck eight. It is under the Lido. Do I need to worry about noise?

Thanks!

Bonni

10 hours ago, MrSnuffleupagus said:

Scored our aft-views with the Club Orange upgrade. Currently booked on deck 5, dead center. Deck 6 is also available.

Congrats! Those are the best views and great balconies since the wind is considerably less than the sides.

• Thanks 1