New menus on Symphony reported

John&LaLa

1 hour ago, nelblu said:

I have the menu from Portofino and puts Chops, Giovanni and Jamie to shame, IMHO. 

F1982F20-B25E-44BF-8DF9-CEAFB1A11038.jpeg

286958D7-90B0-4967-B117-DB585A8BB553.jpeg

The seafood skewer was the best.

Will be on Symphony this summer and be curious as to how many times the new version of the menu changes between now and then...

• Like 2

I just received and completed about a ten minute survey. The entire survey was based on the MDR. The survey asked for me to describe my perfect MDR experience. It asked me to rate the overall “time” situation for a dinner being considered too short, just right and too long. It gave me a sample menu to rate the overall menu and then it broke each item down and asked for a rating of 1-10 on how much each item interested me. This included each appetizer, entrée and dessert on the menu. By the way, this was one of the current menus (had the classic items ) that I saw listed on the Symphony a few weeks back on the app. It was a thorough survey so it looks as though RCI is looking to tweak the current menus and process. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, cruisingator2 said:

I just received and completed about a ten minute survey. The entire survey was based on the MDR. The survey asked for me to describe my perfect MDR experience. It asked me to rate the overall “time” situation for a dinner being considered too short, just right and too long. It gave me a sample menu to rate the overall menu and then it broke each item down and asked for a rating of 1-10 on how much each item interested me. This included each appetizer, entrée and dessert on the menu. By the way, this was one of the current menus (had the classic items ) that I saw listed on the Symphony a few weeks back on the app. It was a thorough survey so it looks as though RCI is looking to tweak the current menus and process. 

I received one also.  We board the Symphony on Saturday.

On 11/21/2022 at 1:11 PM, Tenderpaw said:

You are correct that the cruise is still nice and much more comfortable than an airline seat. 

But the cruise lines love the the attitude of "but its still wonderful so stop complaining" when it comes to their cuts and I'm not willing to let them off the hook so easily.  Lets not deceive ourselves, this new menu is for their benefit only but they are selling it as a benefit to us (as always).   If we go along easily, they will keep cutting until almost everything is pay as you go.  But don't worry, it will actually be somehow better for us and still won't "suck as bad as a coach airline seat". 

Flying used to be a LOT nicer than today too.

It’s a business. It remains to be seen if this (if implemented fleet-wide) is a good business decision or bad. I’m on Brilliance at end of January. Our last Brilliance, this past March, we were absolutely delighted in the MDR for dinner, even though it was scallops every night instead of escargot.

And we navigate Windjammer just fine, thx. 

😃😋🙃

45 minutes ago, May B said:

It’s a business. It remains to be seen if this (if implemented fleet-wide) is a good business decision or bad. I’m on Brilliance at end of January. Our last Brilliance, this past March, we were absolutely delighted in the MDR for dinner, even though it was scallops every night instead of escargot.

😃😋🙃

Maybe they should bring back the "Tutti" salad for lunch, I can load up then and avoid the MDR.😊

1 hour ago, nelblu said:

Maybe they should bring back the "Tutti" salad for lunch, I can load up then and avoid the MDR.😊

I LOVED the Tutti salad! Really miss it. 

18 hours ago, goldfish65 said:

I just received a survey email asking for my feedback on the main dining experience I desire. Many questions. Included was a sample menu with some changes. It did not have shrimp cocktail or any type of fin-fish or any simple preparations like salmon or chicken. Assuming one can still request these items, I thought it was a good menu. 

I received the survey too. My sample menu had shrimp cocktail, and it had fried chicken. The menu looked fairly good. I told them I’d prefer to see the classics remain. 

Edited by KelJ
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Steeler Nation At Sea said:

Well, who'd have thunk!?!

Bechamel on lasagne getting as many posts as the next tipping/smoking/dressy jeans/nice shorts thread! 😂

Could you imagine thevresponses if that was actually the thread title. Only a limited few know what this is really about now🤣🤣

• Haha 3

10 hours ago, poocher said:

Come from a working class Italian family, never heard of it.

Also working class Italian - still have dozens of relatives in Italy that ai visit regularly. Bechamel is definitely used in lasagna. Although, regional differences may also account for differences in recipes.

It is like a Spritz Aperol, in non-touristy places (at least in Northern Italy), a big green olive is often used, in addition to an orange slice. Definitely not done everywhere, but this is also an alternative.

Edited by RD64
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, May B said:

😃😋🙃

LOL!  This is funny!  On the Odyssey transatlantic, they had the always available escargot.  But one night they had a scallop dish as an appetizer, which i ordered.  It came out looking just like the escargot and i thought the waiter made a mistake.  Nope, those were scallops in the little dish, they just had another name for it!  I like scallops, so I didn't care.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Could you imagine thevresponses if that was actually the thread title. Only a limited few know what this is really about now🤣🤣

John, do you know if the Bechamel is anything like Neufchatel cream cheese.  Inquiring minds want to know.😆

I remember, an x neighbor used Cottage Cheese rather than Ricotta.  As an Italian who emigrated for the Mezzo Giorno part, I found this to be blasphemous.

Edited by nelblu
  • Like 2

50 minutes ago, RD64 said:

Also working class Italian - still have dozens of relatives in Italy that ai visit regularly. Bechamel is definitely used in lasagna. Although, regional differences may also account for differences in recipes.

It is like a Spritz Aperol, in non-touristy places (at least in Northern Italy), a big green olive is often used, in addition to an orange slice. Definitely not done everywhere, but this is also an alternative.

Yup, I make many family recipes that my Sicilian friends have never heard of.

26 minutes ago, nelblu said:

John, do you know if the Bechamel is anything like Neufchatel cream cheese.  Inquiring minds want to know.😆

I remember, an x neighbor used Cottage Cheese rather than Ricotta.  As an Italian who emigrated for the Mezzo Giorno part, I found this to be blasphemous.

Bechamel is just a white sauce made with flour, butter, milk and pepper or salt. White if the roux is not cooked long enough to slowly darken into differing stages. It is a basic in everything from lasagna in parts of Italy to biscuits and gravy in the South.

Thanksgiving gravy is bechamel with turkey juices and drippings instead of milk. 

2 hours ago, nelblu said:

Well, to be fair, in places like middle of Minnesota during the 70's cottage cheese as close as you could get.  So, cottage cheese was in the family recipe.   

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Ha!  Waiting for that brave soul that interjects a "Can we please get back to talking about cruising?"  😇

I have 2 ports in Sicily next year.  This is valuable research!  😂

Edited by Steeler Nation At Sea

4 hours ago, Tenderpaw said:

LOL!  This is funny!  On the Odyssey transatlantic, they had the always available escargot.  But one night they had a scallop dish as an appetizer, which i ordered.  It came out looking just like the escargot and i thought the waiter made a mistake.  Nope, those were scallops in the little dish, they just had another name for it!  I like scallops, so I didn't care.

Honestly, I prefer that version. Bay Scallops

• Like 2