Taking food off the ship

Mrs f.

10 minutes ago, Mrs f. said:

I read somewhere that one cannot take food off the ship. Is that just fruit or any sort of food?  Just want to be sure I don't do anything wrong. Thanks.

Commercially processed and packaged food is OK to take off (packets of biscuits, lollies, chocolate bars etc). All other foods must be remain on the ship.

1 minute ago, arxcards said:

Commercially processed and packaged food is OK to take off (packets of biscuits, lollies, chocolate bars etc). All other foods must be remain on the ship.

We'll  be in Newcastle in about 3 weeks on board Regatta 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, arxcards said:

I like Newcastle, but I would say that. What are your plans for the day?

I found a private small group excursion for 6 of us. 3 wineries and a cheese making place.  Looks really good.  Lunch at one of the wineries. We were scheduled  for 2 days in Brisbane  but that was changed last week. ....A day in Newcastle and a day in Mooloolaba.   Mad scramble to figure out what to do for the day.

8 minutes ago, Mrs f. said:

I found a private small group excursion for 6 of us. 3 wineries and a cheese making place.  Looks really good.  Lunch at one of the wineries. We were scheduled  for 2 days in Brisbane  but that was changed last week. ....A day in Newcastle and a day in Mooloolaba.   Mad scramble to figure out what to do for the day.

Sounds great.

23 minutes ago, Mrs f. said:

Mooloolaba - so many choices at the beach or in the Hinterland (Maleny, Montville, Yandina,)  Mooloolaba is a really beautiful beach on the Sunshine Coast, where locals from Brisbane and elsewhere holiday.  You have had a win with that port, assuming passengers can disembark (it is on unprotected ocean).  What would you like to do there?  We always eat great fresh seafood at the beachfront park and walk along the beach and the Spit.  Your plans for Newcastle are exactly what I would do - enjoy!!S

Just now, MMDown Under said:

Mooloolaba - so many choices at the beach or in the Hinterland (Maleny, Montville, Yandina,)  Mooloolaba is a really beautiful beach on the Sunshine Coast, where locals from Brisbane and elsewhere holiday.  You have had a win with that port, assuming passengers can disembark (it is on unprotected ocean).  What would you like to do there?  We always eat great fresh seafood at the beachfront park and walk along the beach and the Spit.  Your plans for Newcastle are exactly what I would do - enjoy!!S

Mooloolaba will be a beach day. We heard it is one of the most beautiful beaches I. AUSTRALIA.  we are also taking a short lunch cruise.  Also my husband wants a t shirt that says Mooloolaba.  He loves the name.  What is the Spit?

5 minutes ago, Mrs f. said:

Mooloolaba will be a beach day. We heard it is one of the most beautiful beaches I. AUSTRALIA.  we are also taking a short lunch cruise.  Also my husband wants a t shirt that says Mooloolaba.  He loves the name.  What is the Spit?

The end of the beach is called the Spit.   There is a council reserve with picnic tables and popular places which sell fresh seafood and fish and chips.  The beachfront Mooloolaba Surf Life Saving Club, which is at the northern end of the beach, is a nice place for a cold drink.  Nearby is the beachfront Loo With a View. .

Then there are lots of shops opposite the beach  - should be able to find a t-shirt with Mooloolaba on it. 

5 hours ago, Mrs f. said:

You know you will have about an hour drive each way to the Vineyards?

Newcastle wins over Brisbane any day.

Mooloolaba is pretty cool too.

Nice hinterland villages, and the beaches around the loo-with-a-view (as I have heard Mooloolaba being called) arent half bad either.

11 minutes ago, buchhalm said:

Newcastle wins over Brisbane any day.

Mooloolaba is pretty cool too.

Nice hinterland villages, and the beaches around the loo-with-a-view (as I have heard Mooloolaba being called) arent half bad either.

"The loo with a view" is a toilet block on the beachfront at Mooloolaba.  

Why would you pick Newcastle over Brisbane?  Each has its charms.  

17 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

For an overseas visitor, it will be a scenic drive through the Australian countryside.  

Scenic? 

Not overly. Through Newcastle suburbia to Wallsend, then Newcastle Link road and Hunter Expressway, likely up to Lovedale Rd. The roads are direct though, in good condition, not crowded and mostly freeway.

Once off the expressway, it will be a nice country drive through Lovedale, Rothbury & Pokolbin.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

For an overseas visitor, it will be a scenic drive through the Australian countryside.  

I hope they go the scenic route. They may be lucky enough to spot some ‘Roos in the wild.

One hint, along the Hunter Expressway, if you go that way, there are some nets running from telegraph pole to telegraph pole across the road, these are for Koalas to cross, it is unlikely to see one cross8ng, but worth keeping an eye out. I did see one once.

9 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

One hint, along the Hunter Expressway, if you go that way, there are some nets running from telegraph pole to telegraph pole across the road, these are for Koalas to cross, it is unlikely to see one cross8ng, but worth keeping an eye out. I did see one once.

As well as for possums.

Watch out for drop bears.😱🙄

Edited by lyndarra

4 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

That would have been wonderful to see.  My most treasured memory of koalas was seeing one swim between two islands.  The other is hearing a male koala bellowing looking for a mate. They should see kangaroos and lots of birds.